Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

Prince Dmitri

Once we checked on the royal stores, and saw that all was handled exactly as instructed, I continued onto my chambers to record the new provisions. Aryness was nervously flitting about as a report finally came into my office about the arrival of the Prince. It read that the Prince was last to arrive behind his supply ship and was just now being escorted to formally meet my Father. Knowing I was not welcome at the formal introductions, I quietly passed the scroll to Aryness as we continued to work. The afternoon light dimmed quickly, and soon Aryness was nervous for another reason. It was time we were prepared for the grand feast to welcome this Prince into our lands.

I had spent little time in seeing anything grand prepared, and after Eadgar’s strong warnings, he would be happy to see me appear in rags. For a brief moment, I thought of wearing one of my black gowns. But despite how Eadgar would hate that also, I knew it would please my father to wear a colour from our coat of arms. It was a delicate balancing act of making my Father happy without upsetting Eadgar further. So I simply choose a blue dress, and saw that Aryness had it cleaned and checked for any imperfections. I insisted on only one thing, that she had a new dress made for herself to match. It was hard to know what made her more nervous, preparing the dress for me or having a new dress made for herself. I refused any fussing over me, having my hair done simply, and adorning myself with very little finery - Lord Gannon’s medallion around my neck, Taggart’s ring on my finger and my crown in my hair. Gregor and Evandar were awaiting our arrival in the hallway, and their chest plates seemed to shine a little bit more than usual. I smiled to both of them, and I caught an extra sparkle in Evandar’s eyes when they fell upon Aryness in her new dress. As we walked down to the feasting hall, Aryness whispered nervously in my ear, “Milady, I am not sure I know all that is expected of me at the feast. What if I do something improper to embarrass you?” I squeezed her hand reassuringly, “You will not...I am sure of it. You are my Lady, and you sit at my left side and see over our meal. It is as if we are eating in my chambers.” Aryness held my hand for a moment, “But the King will be there!” I chuckled, “The King will not find fault in you if you serve me loyally. Trust me on this.” She nodded and took a few deeper breaths.

I was surprised however to find my father standing with his advisers outside the feasting hall. When my small group approached, he smiled, “There she is!” I smiled at him before bowing, “Father, were you waiting for me? I thought you would already be inside.” He nodded, taking my arm, and putting it around his own, “I know, but I wanted to walk in with the most beautiful girl in the Kingdom.” I felt my cheeks blush, “Then perhaps I should get her for you.” He patted my hand, “Oh child...you should not jest!” He nodded to his head servant, and the doors were opened for us. The guards called out loudly, “King Lennard, Lord of the House Snow Fox, with his daughter, Princess Regent, Lady Jane!” The entire chamber turned and bowed, including my brothers Eadgar and Cadeon. When Eadgar looked up, his nasty glare was unmistakable. My father walked us through to the head table, and I nearly froze when I saw a familiar face in the group. Standing there, with a large cup of our finest ale flanked by both of my brothers was the very man from the rigging of the ship. However at this point, he was dressed in fine rich black uniform covered in military medals, with dark red stripes running down his sleeves and pant legs. The colourful head covering was now replaced by a crown with black onyx crosses. My father did not even hesitate as the man bowed before us, “Prince Dmitri of the Cossacks, it is with great pleasure that I introduce my only daughter, Lady Jane, Princess Regent of the Castle.” Dmitri broke into a sly smile as he nodded his head respectfully, “It is certainly a pleasure to finally meet you, my Princess.”

Despite myself, it tumbled from my mouth, “You are the Prince?” He chuckled, taking a sip of his ale before explaining to everyone, “I believe I surprised the Princess earlier today, for you see, it was my ship that delivered the trade goods to your port. I am a Prince, but I am also Admiral of my father’s fleet and Captain of my own ship, which naturally is the best ship in my father’s fleet. I did not make myself known to her.” He explained to my father and brothers before turning back to me, “Princess Jane, that was unfair and I apologize for deceiving you.” My father was amused but Eadgar was fuming with anger and it was him that I feared above all. So I forced a charming smile in return, “Oh my Prince, it is I who should apologize. Had I known there was only one ship arriving instead of two, I would have seen to your comfort immediately. I beg your forgiveness and understanding.” I bowed deeply humble before him. Prince Dmitri reached down, taking my hand and lifting me back up, “Absolutely not! I am most comfortable on my ship, but perhaps I spend too much time at sea. I should have far better manners than to toy with such generous and gracious hosts. I pray I have not caused any insult?” He looked toward my father first who only chuckled and shook his head, before the Prince looked at my brother. Eadgar’s face was stone cold, with his jaw clenched tight. When Eadgar was not as forgiving, I could see Dmitri tilt his head slightly, “Come! Let me make up for such a slight...I have brought gifts!” he said loudly and his servants jumped to his command. Dmitri walked forward as a parade of gifts entered in, giving Cadeon a chance to whisper into Eadgar’s ear. I could not hear their words over the sudden music and sounds of wonderment, so I looked quickly back at Aryness. Her eyes were wide with shock, and cheeks bright red, for she too realized now that the man who had serenading her was not just a sea rogue, but a royal prince. It was moments like this that I wished for Kenrick, I felt vulnerable and needed reassurance that only he could provide. Instead I reached for Aryness, curling my hand around hers as we both stood there in stunned silence.

Prince Dmitri presented grand gifts of great wealth to both to my father and each of my brothers. He saved my gifts for last, and they were no less impressive. The servant led in a large gray shaggy four-legged creature with a thick jeweled leather collar. It appeared at first glance some combination of a wolf and a small horse! Despite its large threatening stature, the creature sat passively in front of me. “My Princess, may I present a champion bred wolfhound from our royal stock. In my lands, we use these dogs for hunting as well as protection. They are intensely loyal to their owners and this one has not yet been bound to anyone. Despite its size, this hound is only about 10 months old. Its father protects my father, and I have one of its brothers as well. An excellent creature that I hope will offer you comfort and safety in your travels.” The servant passed the leash onto me, and I took it with little worry, “Thank you my Prince, it is a most generous gift.” He chuckled, “Oh, but that is not all!” He clapped his hands, and next a servant walked in with a large gray Arabian horse. “I was told that you enjoyed riding as well, and I have come to know many horse traders in my time at sea. This stallion was traded for nearly two baskets of gold coins, and I could see him only going to one who would appreciate him.” I handed the wolfhound to Aryness before walking over to admire the horse that now stood in the middle of my father’s feasting room. I ran my hand down his chest before rubbing his neck, “He is nothing short of amazing, my Prince. I fear you spoil me with far more than I deserve!” He chuckled and shook his head, “Hardly Princess Jane...” My father was quick to chime in, “Indeed, this is most impressive Prince Dmitri, truly wonderful gifts are they not Jane?” His eyes glittered with all the hope of a possible match between us. I smiled softly and bowed before the Prince, “I thank you for such thoughtful gifts.”

The horse was quickly removed as was the wolfhound, allowing the feast and entertainment to commence. Eadgar scowled as I sat to the left of my Father while he sat on my father’s right. The Prince sat on Eadgar’s other side, giving space between us but that lasted only as long as the feast. Once the dancing began, the Prince was eager for me to join him. My father’s encouragement only spurred the Prince’s intentions, and despite Eadgar’s seething eyes, I placed my hand inside the Prince’s to join him for one of my father’s favorite galliards. As we stood in position hand to hand, the Prince batted his eyes at me, “I pray you are not too angry with me? Perhaps my gifts will aide in your forgiveness?” As the dance began I answered him once our hands we reunited, “Should I be angry with you mistaking me for a maid, and singing songs of love to my lady?” As my hand was passed back, he squeezed it, “Then you are insulted?” I shook my head as I circled around him, and he continued, “Embarrassed?” I shook my head again as our hands returned to each other. He chuckled, “You are indeed a mystery!” I smiled softly as he now circled me, “I will have you know that my lady is not for the having.” His eyes widened, “Have her? No...no man should ever possess a woman, they are not property but beautiful creatures that are to be treasured and adored.” I broke into laughter, “Are you a poet or a sea captain?” He winked at me, “Can I not be both?” I tilted my head, “Perhaps...” I replied as I tried to contain my laughter. “Her name...give me at least that?” He begged but I could only bite my lip and shake my head. All eyes were watching our interactions, my father especially seemed excited at our repartee, Eadgar equally was not. Once the dance came to an end, I begged for a drink of wine in order to part ways. I gratefully sat back into my chair, and Eadgar was all too eager to start a new conversation with the Prince. My father bore a grand smile as he patted my hand encouragingly.

There were other eyes that cut through the crowd that night. It was not until I sat down and was sipping on my wine that I noticed them. Perhaps I thought myself immune, perhaps I thought it had passed. But that level of hatred is not so easily forgotten. Lady Celeste was looking coldly in my direction whispering in the ear of a large man next to her, who bore the same eyes as my beloved Kenrick. His medallion clearly announced him as her husband, Lord of the House of Stag. I could only hang my head and avoid their eyes. However that night, when I laid my head back against the pillow, I felt an unmistakable hole in my chest. While I have missed Kenrick each and every day, that night the ache seemed unbearable. I wanted only to see his comforting smile, and know that I would see him standing at the window waiting for me to awake in the morning. I could have never guessed his presence would be missed so powerfully each waking moment of my day. It was starting to feel as if the air no longer held breath and the sun no longer held warmth. I wanted nothing more than to send Aryness off to fetch him from his chamber, that now stayed cold and empty. Instead as I drifted to sleep, on my lips were prayers that he would return. That they would all return soon back home once again.