Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

The Lady Archer

I found myself awake early the next morning, knowing there was another full day ahead of pleasing this new and determined Prince. I wandered out into my main chamber to see Aryness already awake, with my large gray shaggy protector idling calmly at her side. She was gazing into the fire, lost in her thoughts as the hound slowly stretched before rising to his feet. “Good Morrow Nessa,” I called to her gently. She turned quickly, “Oh my Lady....I did not realize you were awake already.” I nodded and joined her at the fire. Taking her hands, I guided her to sit down with me. “I need to speak with you plainly about the Prince.” She quickly interrupted me, “My Lady, I am utterly embarrassed over his confusion...I feel I have done nothing right with this.” I shook my head, “You are without fault and have done nothing wrong. I have a question I wish you to answer...what do you feel about this Prince seeking to court you?”

Aryness sprung to her feet, ringing her hands nervously, “Oh my Lady, that cannot be. I am nothing but a simple girl, a fowler at that. What would he ever want with a commoner like me?!” I shook my head, “You are not a commoner any longer. You now carry a title and are a Lady in the King's court, Handmaiden to the Princess of the lands. He has every reason to seek after you.” She looked back at me, “But my Lady is unwed, and it would be seen as a huge insult to you!” I was surprised Aryness knew such things and tilted my head, “Who told you this?” Aryness looked nearly exasperated, “Captain Evandar of course, and I am ever so grateful that he did!” I had a feeling that Evandar had a much different reason for imparting this information, but this was not the time for that conversation. I pursed my lips, “In normal circumstances, he would be right. But I have never been a normal or simple Princess in these lands, as you well know. And I am not known for....following customs...shall we say. It will only be an insult if I claim it an insult. Which as you very well know, I certainly do not.”

Aryness continued to insist, “But the King, what if he finds me insulting and disagrees!? It is widely known that he wishes you to remarry.” I nodded, “And remarry I shall, but the king has given me his blessing that I may do this on my own accord and in my own time. Aryness calm yourself, you know there is another in my heart.” It felt like a lie as soon as I said it because in fact there was more then one in my heart! She finally sat back down across from me, “I was not prepared for anything such as this when I agreed to come here.” I nodded, “I understand but you have still not answered my question. Do you wish to be courted by this Prince?” Aryness tilted her head, “And I truly have the choice? What if the king commands it??” I shook my head, taking her hands again tightly in mine, “He will not....please, answer me. So that I may sway the Prince one way or another.” Aryness blinked back at me firmly, “I do not my Lady....there is....” I smiled gently, “There is another, is there not?” She confirmed my suspicions by nodding. “Very well then, think of it no more. But be prepared, for I do not feel this Prince will be easily refused. There may be a few more overtures left, but you need only deflect them with respect and grace.” She nodded to me again and I hugged her gently before she quickly saw that breakfast was brought in. The hound passively leaned his head against my thigh and I rubbed him gently, finding his fur soft and warm. I turned toward the window, finding my appetite again missing with all that was going on. Even the smell of the warm bread did not encourage me. So tossing a piece to my shaggy hound, I was quick to work in my office.

However little work got done, as a messenger came in early from Prince Dmitri. It seems that my brother attempted to charm him with a local hunt, and somehow I was invited to attend by Prince Dmitri himself. My suspicions for his true intentions were once again confirmed when the invitation included my Lady Aryness. This meant I could no longer hide behind my Regent desk and responded to the messenger in kind. “Please tell your Prince that it is not customary for Ladies to attend stag hunts. They last several days, and the riding is often harsh. However it is our custom that we greet the men upon their successful return.” The messenger nodded, “As your custom insists my Lady. But my Prince also spoke of the Lady Archer. She is said to be highly skilled and my Prince wished her to attend the hunt.” I smiled slightly as I folded my hands, “Again, it would be highly improper for a Lady who is unwed to attend such a hunt. I must refuse his invitation. Besides my Lady Archer does not hunt stag, but is a fowler.” The messenger clearly realized any further requests would be refused and bowed deeply before leaving. Once we were alone I looked over at Nessa, seeing her face burning red hot. Once our eyes met, she came close, “How does he know this about me??” I tilted my head, “Does not a suitor seek out any information he may find about his interest? I am sure he has paid quite a few coins for information about you. But do not worry, we have a few days of peace at least. Stag hunts can last a week!”

Despite the Prince's absence, his envoys and naval officers were to still be entertained, and each night a grand feast was prepared. Now it was I who sat at the head of the table each night as my father's representative in front of the remaining court. The court was filled with Ladies, boys too young to hunt and men well past their hunting years, therefore such a group that has much to say about my past. Outwardly I was tolerated and respected, but the glances and narrowing eyes of aging Lords and Ladies told a different tale. It was exhausting, and all the heavy feasting and wine was leaving my stomach stuffed, my hands swelling, and my gowns growing tighter. The sight of trays full of food was loosing its appeal more and more each day. There were even a few nights I took food only to not seem suspicious. But the hunt bought Nessa and I nearly 5 days of quiet before my Father and the Princes returned triumphantly with a 10 point stag. Immediately a great feast was set in motion, as my father called for barrels of his best wine to be opened in celebration. Once again I hurried upstairs to put on another formal gown, so that I could mingle in the court who very much wished I would not attend.