Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

Takarian Joining Ring

Already tired from long days in my office and long nights of feasting, I found little worth celebrating. Plus each dress Nessa suggested looked more uncomfortable then the last. Yet finally I stood as she laced up my bodice, which seemed nearly too tight to breath. All I could think about was how I wanted this night to already be over. Nessa's fingers seemed to fumble with each lace as I clutched onto the bedpost. “There is no reason to be nervous now that he has returned,” I whispered softly. Nessa shook her head, “I am not my Lady...but this dress. There is something not right with it. I can barely get your laces closed.” I sighed, “And I can barely breath in it. All this feasting has put me out of my own clothes!” Nessa stopped, “You will have to choose another...” I looked over at her, “I am exhausted Nessa...all I want to do is lay down my head for a moment.” Nessa rubbed my arm, “Then I will send a messenger giving your excuses.” I shrugged off the dress and collapsed onto my bed, “Give me a little bit more time...as long as I look dressed in the end.” The rest felt heavenly and but soon enough Nessa was waking me to put on another suffocating gown before we were headed down to yet another feast.

Quietly I made my way to the head table, with Aryness following alongside me. The room was abuzz with the excitement and bravado from the hunt. We smiled and laughed as all the men enjoyed telling hunting tales, each trying to outdo the other. The musicians played and people danced, a familiar sight that was dizzying tonight. As the night wore on, I was struggling to stay awake. However, at one point Prince Dmitri sat down alongside me in an empty chair. “It is good to be back in the warmth of your castle my Lady. But it is even better to see such smiling faces awaiting us.” Aryness was quick to look away and I just nodded, “I am glad you feel that way my Lord.” He leaned against his hand, blinking at me with a mischievous glint in his eye. “So I have come to understand that it not your custom to have women attend hunts, which is very different then what my women do. Yet I learned that you have a trained Lady archer. I find that very contradictory.” Aryness and I exchanged looks, while Captain Evandar flinched uncomfortable with this discussion. I sat up straight, “I believe that women should follow a path that suits them.” He sat back and nodded, “Indeed, I have heard this about you. You are known to be....nontraditional shall we say.” I smiled bowing my head to him, “You flatter me with that compliment.” He chuckled and sipped his wine, “You consider that a compliment from your people, now I am intrigued.” I kept my chin up, “Indeed, it is a compliment. Women should not be mindless and thoughtless vessels, but play an important role in guiding their lands.” Prince Dmitri leaned toward me, “If I may speak boldly, not everyone in your kingdom feels that way milady.” I too leaned toward him, carefully lowering my voice, “Then they are fools,” I responded. He broke out into laughter, taking a huge mouthful of wine, “Oh I enjoy our talks milady.” I nodded in agreement as I sat back in my chair calmly. We sat quietly for a while, watching the court dancing before us, but I could see his mind was spinning. It soon became clear that he was not done.

“I cannot help but notice you are wearing a Takarian Joining Ring,” he said, still sipping his wine with a naughty smile. I slowly turned to look and he motioned to Taggart's ring on my left hand. I quickly picked up my own goblet taking a sip hoping his curiosity would be easily sated. “Oh? I found it at a very unique market cart.” I said dismissively. He chuckled putting down his goblet, “Come now, we both know Takarian Joining Rings are not sold at any simple market.” I looked down at the ring casually before putting my hand on my lap under the table, “I am not sure why you are calling it that, I just thought it a beautiful ring.” Again he leaned closer, “It is beautiful...and unique...as are all Takarian Joining Rings. For the pattern and the adorning finger will match its joined owner.” I turned my face to meet his stare, “I wish you would stop calling it that.” He tilted his head, and spoke in a language I have never heard before. I could only blink back, my brows wrinkling in confusion. It was then his eyes widened, “You do not know...” He looked down at my hand before looking back up at me, “How odd....” I chuckled back at him, still trying my hardest to be dismissive. “That language is unknown to me.” This time he leaned even further, speaking softly into my ear, “Heart of my Heart, Love of my Life, Now and Forever.” When he spoke those words, my body reacted instantly, jerking back away from him like he held a hissing snake to my throat. As I recoiled, he eased back into his seat and a satisfied smile crossed his lips, “Then you do know.” I quickly stood to my feet, “You are wrong my Lord, excuse me!” I gathered my skirts and went to step away from the table. But he took my arm to stop me, “And this insults you? Are you afraid I will find him? Figure out your mysterious Takarian? There are very few left as you know.” This time I growled, “You know and understand nothing!” I pulled my arm free and hurried out of my father's banquet hall, sending Aryness, Evandar and Gregor rushing after me. “My Lady....my Lady! What happened??” Aryness nearly ran to catch up as she hurried alongside of me. I shook my head, “It is nothing....he insulted me and I am finished with this feast.” Aryness cast a look back at Evandar and Gregor, “Of course my Lady...as you wish.” She murmured, but I have a feeling no one believed any words I spoke tonight.