Status: In progress but looking for feedback. The Prologue has been trimmed! More chapters coming soon :)

Always Anyways...

Takarian Mystery

Dmitri's laughter rang in my ears all night, as I found no peace. Takarians? I have never hear of such people nor such a land. How did he know about Taggart's ring....how it matched in pattern and finger when our hands were united? What did he mean when he said so few were left? Taggart had always been a mystery, before my time with Lady Ruth he was completely unknown to me. How long had he served my brother? Even his motives were unknown to me, as he came and went like the wind. Despite my exhaustion, I could not rest and it was still the deepest dark of the night when I rose from my bed, pulling a dressing gown around me. My shaggy hound also shifted from his slumber as if waiting for me, and stood calmly at my side.

I took a candle before stepping outside, clearly surprising Captain Evandar as he hurried to his feet, stepping back into the hallway. “My Princess! Where are you going at this hour with your hound?” I moved around Evandar and quickly headed down the hall, my hound trotting alongside of me, “My father's council chamber...I must see his maps.” Evandar rushed after me, “A map...at this hour. My Lady, please! Let me rouse Aryness and she can tend to your needs.” I shook my head, “No...let her sleep.” Captain Evandar sighed clearly distressed, “You look exhausted...I beg you to rest. This can wait....the maps will be there in the morning.” I would not be swayed and was firm in my desires. I burst into my father's empty and dark council chambers. The room was unused with Prince Dmitri's visit, and there was not even a low fire burning, sending my lonely candle's only light dancing anxiously into the depths of all shadows of the night. My faithful hound stepped in front of me, sniffing curiously at the room, but then quietly sat down. I immediately walked over to my father's large map that hung on the wall. “Takaria? Do you know it??” I said to Captain Evandar, as I started scanning the map. “No my Lady...I have never heard of such a place.” I peeked back at him, “Never?? Have you heard of Takarians? Anything??” He shook his head, “Never my Lady.” I motioned for him to come to my side, “Look over this map....can you find any such land here?” Evandar lit a candle himself, and searched with me. “I see nothing named so my Lady. Perhaps in the morning the king's advisers can assist you better then I?” I sighed impatiently, as I doubted those archaic fools could be trusted much less be willing to share information without my father and brothers knowing. They were the last sources I wished to use, but without any direction, I was left with no choice.

I paced the rest of the night away, as Captain Evandar stood at my door fretting over my condition. When Aryness stepped out in the early morning still rubbing her eyes, she was shocked to see everyone awake in my chambers, “My Lady? Are you unwell?” Her weary eyes meeting with Evandar as he shook his head sadly at her. “I begged her to rest, and she refused.” Aryness bit her lip before coming over to me, resting her hands on my shoulders, “My Lady, you eyes are dark and your cheeks are pale. Did you get any rest?” I looked down without admitting the truth she already knew. Aryness murmured tenderly to me, “Jane....please...what vexes you so?” I sighed deeply, not willing to involve anyone unnecessarily just yet, “It is important that I speak with my father's advisers as soon as possible today.” Aryness tried to satisfy me, “Of course, as you wish, as soon as possible. But please, will you not sit? I will have breakfast brought up right away.” I shuddered barely able to stomach the idea of more food so soon, “No...nothing for me.” Aryness and Evandar exchanged looks again, “My Lady, I must insist. My Aunt warned me very strongly that when you refuse to eat, it usually brings about sickness.” I stepped away from her feeling edgy and anxious, “No...it is nothing like that. Its been too much feasting, if it continues I will soon be as big as a horse!” I grumbled. Aryness sighed deeply before heading over to raise the fire higher, “At least sit and try to relax?” I did as she asked, only to make her fussing cease. In my nervousness, I twisted Taggart's ring around my swollen finger, the uncomfortable tug against the skin was somewhat distracting. Once Aryness sent for breakfast, she came back, kneeling in front of me, “Jane...you have been upset since last night. Will you not speak of what has you this troubled?” I blinked back at her sadly, “It was something Prince Dmitri said.” She nodded desperate that I would continue but I did not. “He is leaving in only a few days. I heard that he was waiting for the tides to change.” I just nodded, falling silent and Aryness left me in front of the fire to whisper with Evandar.

Why was Takaria not familiar to me? Why can I never begin to place this realm?? How could I never have heard of a place that Prince Dmitri seems to know vivid details about. Could Taggart be more then a mystery? Might he be complete fiction? Does Nicolito know his true identity or is even he played as the fool? Am I nothing more then a whim and a toy to Taggart as he pretends to be another man? As if the endless food was not making me feel ill, there was now a pit in my stomach that would not cease...a heaviness that hung, a weight of the unknown. Yet there was a nagging whisper that was telling me that my suspicions might be true...that Taggart was much more then he appeared. His silence and this mystery could now mean unrepairable damage between us. I had to swallow back my nerves, and it became even harder as the smell of breakfast reached my nose. I hurried into my office chambers to be as far away from the offending food as possible. I pushed around endless scrolls and reports, doing nothing but making more piles until finally my door opened. Somberly, my father's advisers walked in with their heavy thick black robes swirling around their feet.

They all stopped in front of my desk, folding their hands as they bowed stiffly before me. “Dear Princess, we received word that you were most anxious to speak with us this morning.” Lord Alden spoke for the group, the oldest and most trusted of my father's advisers. I nodded quickly, “Yes, it is most important. For last night Prince Dmitri was speaking about a land I have never heard of, and I felt quite foolish. The land of Takaria?” Lord Alden exchanged looks with his fellow advisers, “Well yes....that is quite an old name. But there is no reason to feel foolish, for that land no longer exists. It is why you have probably never heard of it.” I folded my hands fiercely tight in my lap because my hands would not cease trembling. “Indeed? Can you tell me the history?” Lord Alden motion to Lord Garwood to his right and he continued, “Well Princess, Takaria was a land to the east, across the mountains. From the scrolls I have read, this land broke out into a civil war. As I have heard, there were a two ruling Takarian houses that were fighting for the throne. After years of fighting, one house won a decisive battle, finally winning control over the lands. Their victory was short lived, as the war bankrupted the lands and left it in ruins. It is a fraction of the land it once was.” Even with the historical background this land was unknown to me. There have been many lands where noble houses would fight for control so it would not stand out to me. Despite such a typical story, I wanted to know to every single detail. “But....but when?” Lord Garwood thought for a moment, “About 60 years ago my Lady.” I nodded and looked down at my ring. Taggart is too young to have lived during that time, but his family, his parents perhaps? I quickly looked up, “And the former Takaria, what is it called now?” Lord Garwood exchanged looks with Lord Alden, “I...I believe it is called Ansonia?” Lord Garwood shook his head, “I believe it is correctly pronounced Acsonea.” I shook my head frustrated, “I have still never heard of it!” The advisers nodded in agreement, “It is a very minor kingdom my Lady. They rarely trade and are known for their rather harsh laws. It is not a type of kingdom your father would favor dealing with. But I am sure Prince Dmitri sees many things in his extensive travels.”

I nodded impatiently for even with their help it told me nothing more about the constantly mysterious Taggart, the man who claims my heart as his own. I felt angry in my frustration, and the only person who might have more information was a man I did not wish to bargain with to get it. As I became lost in my thoughts, Lord Alden spoke, “Was there more my Princess?” I shook my heads as they bowed before me again and made their way out. Did I dare try to pry precious information from the Prince? Would I be willing to bargain using Aryness, a treasure he undoubtedly wanted in the game? Was my hunger for the truth about my ghost of a man worth the happiness and devotion of Madge and her family? Could I bring myself to play such a selfish game? I doubted my strength for my heart was too vulnerable in such a move. As my doubts grew in strength, my body reacted. I rushed over and began to wretch into my chamber bowl. Aryness was quick to console me, gently rubbing the back of my head, “I beg you Jane....rest. Please!” Everything was taking its toll, and my physical and mental strength was wavering. Captain Evandar helped me to bed, and I curled up tightly. I prayed and wished desperately that Taggart was indeed true and real in every sense of the word. For I doubted this time I could recover from such deception.