Status: Finished.

More Than Just Baser Instincts.

Marked

Quince kissed me one last time before pulling my bare back to his chest. His lips peppered gently against my neck, soothing the horrible ache that remained in the wake of his powerful jaw clamping down on it. He murmured a quiet apology, but my thoughts were in an adrenaline-induced haze.

“Explain that again?” I panted, twisting around in his arms and letting my hands drift to his chest. “Why did you bite me?”

“You’re my mate, Elaine. I asked you, and you said you were. I merely staked my claim, so now every other male will know that you’re spoken for. Those damn white lions can’t deny it now, not when you bear such a perfect marking.” He reached up to his own neck and rubbed the tender skin. “We’re officially mates, in every sense of the word. Pride law states that the lioness is free to switch prides if her mate belongs to the aforementioned party; they can’t fight that.”

“You think they’re going to play fair?”

He nodded. “Why else would they keep such tight surveillance on their own? If anyone got out and mated, they would be free to go.”

I hoped he was right.

“But he’s going to be here soon. We should probably get up; I want our status to be a surprise.”

“Don’t tempt those beasts, please,” I muttered, pushing myself to my feet and dressing quickly.

“What? They deserve hell for what they’re trying to do. Taking someone from their other half? That is just disgusting.” I glanced over to him as he pulled a shirt over his head. “I am looking forward to meeting your mother, though. And…your sister?”

I sighed. “I guess Lucille never planned on telling me that part.”

“She must have had her reasons. You draw enough attention; imagine if you were also walking around with a clone.”

“I guess.”

A gasp of disorientation slipped past my lips when he suddenly twirled me around, holding me close to his chest as he kissed me desperately.

“I love you, Elaine; if you ever doubted that, I’d just… I don’t know—”

“I love you, too,” I interrupted, pressing a finger gingerly to his lips. “Come on, I want to get this over with.”

“Okay, and when we get back, are we going to start on our family of twenty?” he asked, wiggling his eyebrows at me.

I groaned. “No way would I ever have eighteen kids!”

He smiled softly. “Good, because I don’t want to share you with that many people.”

“You’re such a cornball.”

Nearly the second we stepped into the living room, the front door was thrown open. Quince caught my arm and secured me at his side, but it was hardly necessary—I had already grabbed his shirt and pulled him closer.

“Elaine, I’ve grown tired of this game. I gave you time to pack your things, now come.”

I glowered at the man. “I’m only coming willingly if Quince comes with me.”

“Absolutely not!”

“It’s that, or so help me I will run for the rest of my life.”

“We found you once, we’ll find you again.”

I smiled disarmingly. “But I didn’t even know you were trying to find me. Hardly a fair estimate.”

He hissed at me, and then his eyes flashed to Quince. “No impure breed has ever been on our soil.”

“Then Quince will be the first.”

He stammered for a bit, and I had to hold back the grin.

“Fine!” he hissed, turning his back to us. “But I won’t be held responsible if mutt-boy is torn to shreds.”

“I can handle myself, thank you,” Quince muttered, pulling me to him for a quick kiss. Into my ear, he whispered, “I’m going to memorise the way back. I suggest you do the same, just in case.”

“Stop touching her!”

“Sorry, I guess my mutt-hands just can’t keep to themselves,” Quince spat, taking my hand in his regardless and leading me outside. “Now, are we going, or what?”
♠ ♠ ♠
This one is short. So I decided I would just double-update. The next chapter will be at Elaine's father's sector. So.... Thanks for reading!