Status: Finished.

More Than Just Baser Instincts.

Recommendations

“Ah, so you must be Elaine.”

Richard Heckler was a tall yet somewhat portly man who wore a beige suit (whose lapel bore the school's crest, a savannah tree) and a brilliant smile. He could not have been a day over forty-two, or perhaps that was just an illusion in which his youthful golden eyes played a part. The auburn hair on his head was groomed and swept back with what appeared to be some sort of gel, and he held out a bronzed hand while leaning across his wooden desk. Judging by the state of chaos that had formed on the surface, it was safe to assume that his hygiene was the only tidy thing about him.

“Yes, sir.” I shook his hand graciously before sitting in one of the rather uncomfortable-looking chairs across from his desk. “Mr. Heckler, I cannot begin to—”

“Rick, sweetheart. I'm Rick.” Then he smiled again, leaned back in his chair, and released a long sigh. “You know, I was a bit surprised with this personal recommendation I received. How long have you known Quince?”

“Well,” I stuttered, not sure if this was the right answer, “I have only been in town for a few days, so not too long.”

He nodded, running a hand absently over his hair. “That's strange, Elaine. Only a few days, and yet everyone here already knows who you are.”

I smiled. “I've been told I look more...exotic than everyone else.”

“I suppose that word would work. Regardless—” He leaned forward, his elbows resting on his desk and propping up his chin “—appearances certainly aren't everything. Our faculty is both passionate and friendly; that's why they were hired. Quince tells me that you like the life sciences.”

“Oh, I love them. I have since I was only toddling about, sir.”

“Rick,” he corrected, raising an eyebrow at me.

“I love them, Rick.”

“He also tells me you're a Leo.” Then he laughed, and I had to suppress a groan; of course Quince told him that! There was clearly a joke I was missing. “But I find it strange that Quince, of all people, is vouching for you. He doesn't normally get involved in affairs like this, you know. Or maybe you don't.” He shrugged. “That must make you something rare, hmm?”

“One can only hope.”

“My only concern, Elaine, is the fact that you have no experience. If you did, this would be cut and dry; you've managed to win over an entire town within days, you've cracked the case that is my dear friend Quince, and your resume shows some impressive skills... Unfortunately, that is not the case.” My heart thumped against my chest. “I would love to give you this job more than anything.”

“I understand,” I whispered, trying not to choke on my heart as it rose in my throat. One man couldn't make an entire building of people overlook qualifications.

“I would love to do it, Elaine, and that's why I'm going to put this in the hands of the faculty. They'll vote, democratically, and you will hear from me before the week is out.”

“So how did it go!” Anne screeched into my ear, grabbing my arm and pulling me to our traditional table in the inn. “I want to hear everything, right now!”

It was kind of strange, actually. Never in my life had I had such a brief, straight-forward job interview where I was all but guaranteed the position; also, I hadn't been asked any real questions... But I was over-analyzing when all I really wanted to do was enjoy the fact that the universe was finally throwing me one of those fabled “freebies.”

I tried to stall for as long as I could, watching as she squirmed in her own skin while waiting my response. But my excitement was bubbling up inside of me, and I just couldn't take it any longer!

“I actually have a chance!” I shouted, grabbing her hands and shrieking like a giddy girl. Anne joined me immediately, squealing her approval. “He said that my lack of experience was a problem, but because of my recommendation he's going to approach the board for a vote!”

She stopped squealing, confusion gradually sliding onto her face. I cocked my head slightly, the mannerisms of this town starting to wear onto me after only five days.

“Recommendation?”

“Oh... Right,” I muttered, releasing her hands and wriggling in my seat. “Quince gave me the most amazing testimonial, without which I probably would have had to wait weeks to get an interview.” I groaned loudly. “That man is going to drive me absolutely bonkers!”

“But you stormed out on him. Why would he...?” Then her eyes widened. “Just how great was the sex?” I smacked my face into the table, absolutely mortified. “That's it, isn't it? It must have been absolutely amazing for him to put himself on the line just to make sure you'd still be around for another good frogging! Your mate is going to just love you!”

“Shut up... But 'my mate'?” I muttered, shaking my head as I gained to courage to look her in the eyes. “It's called 'husband' in Chicago, just for future reference.”

She smiled. “Husband? Okay, got it. The point is, well, if you want a new house or anything—”

“Anne!” I gasped, my jaw dropping to the floor. She just broke into a fit of laughter, hitting the table with an open palm. “I am not some prostitute, and with you as my witness I swear there will be no more...frogging, was it?” Anne nodded, still grinning. “Not that it matters! Look, I don't know why he did what he did, but we're counting our chickens; I could very well not get the job.”

“So then... Why are you here?” she uttered, raising an eyebrow at me. “Shouldn't you be schmoozing with Quinn? He is on the board, you know.”

“I am not going to use someone so blatantly, Anne. That's just revolting.”

She shrugged, following me as I pushed myself to my feet and away from my chair. “Hey, it seems to me that our Quince likes being used.”

“'Our Quince,'” I muttered under my breath, shaking my head in disbelief. Louder, I asked, “What are you doing for lunch?”

An apologetic smile graced her lips. “I need to get home to Bryce, actually; we're entertaining tomorrow, and the shopping won't do itself... You know, I would love if you would come, Elaine. Bryce is having 'the guys' over, and while I love them like my own brothers...” She made a face. “You will come, right?”

The last thing I wanted to do was spend a Monday evening with a bunch of men, a baby, and a woman trying to keep all of them in check. But what could I say? Anne was very much a great friend, already having proved that in only five days.

“I'd love to. What time do you want me?”

Anne jumped at me then, throwing her arms around me and squealing about my life-saver qualities before tossing herself from me just as quickly. Her hands clasped together loudly, and a broad grin took over her lips.

“I knew I could count on you! Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you! I'll tell Bryce to expect one more, then!”

“Just one question: who are 'the guys'?”

She shrugged. “You know, he uses that phrase on me whenever his friends say they'll 'try to show up,' so I couldn't tell you for sure; it could be a multitude of people, but I'm fairly certain that Camden will be there. We named Cameron after him—Bryce’s half-brother.” I raised an eyebrow, and she laughed. “Now, I am happy in my family and cannot say that I find my brother-in-law to be attractive...” She leaned in closer. “But I've been told that he's quite delicious.”

“Delicious?” I repeated, not at all agreeing with that description. “Not that it matters anyway; I already promised I'm going. Again, though, when do I come over?”

I was told to arrive between five and six o'clock, and then Anne offered incredibly thorough directions to reach her cabin on the far end of Home.

Maybe a night among friends would be just what I needed to stop worrying about pending life-altering decisions.