Status: Hiatus af

Forever

daisy chains

My head rested against his chest as his fingers lightly combed through my long, blonde hair. He was humming something I was not familiar with, but I didn't mind, I loved his voice. The feeling of his fingertips gave me goosebumps, which not even the warm sun that beat down on us could cure.

Eventually, he pressed a kiss to the top of my head and placed his hands behind himself, leaning back. I closed my eyes as I scooted back in the slightest so that I could place my ear above his heart, to see if I could actually hear it for once. He'd never had a heartbeat, not even a pulse in his wrist. It was almost as if he were dead. But he wasn't, he was warm, he was inviting. He was mine. My Twitch.

"Did I ever tell you how beautiful you are, babydoll?" I nodded in response, smiling as my head lolled to the side. I felt his weight shift as one hand reached up to sweep my hair out of my face. "Look at you. Such a pretty, little girl."

I'll admit that as much as I liked his compliments, I never once like when he called me a little girl. I didn't want to be...At least not to him. I wanted to be grown-up; I wanted him to see me like he saw those women at the grocery store. I knew how he felt at the sight of them. He didn't usually let his emotions slip, but every once in a while, when I was out with my parents, we'd pass a particularly attractive women and I'd feel this peculiar sensation. It was a feeling I didn't quite understand. I supposed once I was big like Twitch I'd know what it was, but I was much too young. All I knew is that I'd never be that pretty lady. I'd never have big breasts, wide hips or perfect legs. I would not have full lips or long lashes. Twitch would never want to touch me like he would've liked to touch the pretty lady. I'd always be a child to him.

When he placed his hand back down, I yearned for him to touch me again. "Twitchy, will you braid my hair, please?" I sat up, resting my small hands on his thigh.

"Sure, princess. One or two?" he replied smoothly as he straightened up.

"One, please."
I picked at the frayed strings from the tear on the knee of his black jeans while he began to pleat my hair. This was the most I could interact with my precious Twitch. I wanted to see his face. He was always behind me, so I was never able to look at him. In fact, I could not recall a single time where he was before me, be it his back turned or not. I was only with him physically in my dreams, elsewhere, I could only hear his voice. I'd begun to think I'd never even know the face of my beloved.

I started to pluck at the daisies among the flowers surrounding us when he spoke, "So, today was your first day of school! I'll be you loved it now that you're a big 5th grader. I'm sorry I couldn't be there with you. Y'know I have to leave sometimes, don't you, angel? I wish I didn't have to. I miss you every second that I'm away, I want you to know that."

"I know, Twitch. I miss you, too," I answered softly as I knotted the daisy stems into a chain.

He reached forward to gently pull the ribbon from around my wrist to tie off the braid. He kissed the side of my head before placing flowers into my golden tresses. after a long moment, he pressed his lips to my cheek and whispered. "I love you, babydoll."

"I love you, Twitch." As if to ensure he knew I meant it, I lightly traced little hearts onto the fabric of his pants.

"Mon bébé Marie..." he snatched up my hands entwined my tiny fingers with his, "This is how it's supposed to be, Marilyn. You and I, forever."

You and I, forever.

If only I'd know then what those four words truly meant.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope to update regularly from now on.
This is going to be a bit confusing for a few chapters, but bear with me; it all leads up to something better!
And for those of you that read the prequel to this story, (if you haven't you probably shouldn't be reading this) I know Twitch speaks differently. I simplified his dialogue for the sake of writing and making this a smooth piece to read. He still has a laid-back tone to his voice, but he changes it with each person he is with. Not to mention, he is a bit clearer as he is speaking to a 10-year-old. c;
P.S. I should mention that this story has been entered in this contest