Status: Active

The Gifted Star

The Hunter and the Hunted

As Estella gently folded the torn piece of paper up again, she could not help but feel something towards the story. It was as if she had already heard the story a thousand times over, even though no one knew what had happened to the Gifted. They were a people of myths and legends, or so she had been told. They were said to be a dangerous warrior race that sought to destroy all the lives in Oisian. Many called them witches and warlocks who controlled great magic and used it only to their own gain, with no regard to peace and life. However, no tales had ever been told about how they came to be or where they had gone. The Gifted had appeared magically, and so they disappeared magically.

Still, Estella could not shake the idea that she had been told the story of their life and death many times before. Her puzzlement was forgotten, when she noticed the length of the shadows and the sun disappearing behind the hills. She cursed her foolishness, shoved the history book back into her bag, and started sprinting towards the grazing field. It was more of a limping run, as the blisters from the day before rubbed painfully against her feet.

Estella reached the barn, with only a few precious minutes to spare. Opening the gate to the field, she rang the bell that signaled that it was time to go inside. At an excruciatingly slow pace the cattle, sheep, and goats moved towards the shelter from the night. She counted out loud as one by one the farm animals passed her. It was not until the last sheep came by her that she realized there was something wrong; one of the lambs was missing. Inside the barn Estella could hear the mother ewe baaing in protest and fear, as she also saw that her baby was not with her.

Counting the heads of the creatures again, Estella knew that she had to venture out to find the poor animal that was lost. Grabbing a lantern that hung against the wall, she lit the wick of the candle inside the case and watched the flame spring to life. Locking the large wooden door behind her, she started off into the unfriendly realm of twilight.

The lantern made the smallest indent against the dark. The sun had completely disappeared behind the horizon, and now only remnants of color and light hung on the sky. Estella looked frantically around for the missing lamb; she knew it was only a matter of minutes before there would no longer be any hope to rescue the lost creature.

Estella walked out to the cabbage fields; it was the last place she would try before heading back to the safety of a solid home and a roaring fire. She looked around the area, only seeing the rapidly growing vegetable sprouts. Fear and despair gripped her heart as she realized that wherever the baby ram was, he would not last until morning. Suddenly a rustling came from a nearby berry patch. Estella span around towards the noise, terrified that it was some monster stalking her. The bush continued to crackle until something sprung from it. She felt a tiny shriek escape from her, but instantly felt foolish as she looked at the supposed monster that stood shaking in front of her. The little, white lamb let out a ‘baa’ and clumsily walked towards her. Blueberry stained its snow white coat causing Estella to let out a chuckle at the poor creature.

Picking up the tiny lamb in one arm, holding the lantern in the other, Estella started walking towards the barn where the lamb’s mother waited impatiently for its offspring.
“You silly little thing, do you know how worried I was because of you? I hope your mother gives you a stern talking to, just like my mother will certainly do,” She chided the baby sheep, trying desperately to calm her nerves against the now settling dark and rising moon. Estella belittled herself for being so jumpy; there had been very few actual reports of attacks on people. Most beasts would raid unsecured barns, or attack animals if they were left outside. Humans were mostly safe, except of the few times a monster would become bold or desperate for food. Estella softly hummed a tone and continued to talk to the young ram, trying to quell her own nerves and fears.

Across the cabbage a pair of glowing yellow eyes pierced the night, watching intently as the small figure moved along the path.
♠ ♠ ♠
Told you it would be up soon ;). Anyways, thanks for reading and I hope you are enjoying the story so far. Please feel free to comment and subscribe if you haven't already done so. Have a good day. :D