The Only Hope for Me Is You

Just Another Day

I walked the halls of my school, head down and textbook pressed tightly against my chest. I didn't dare look up, in fear of meeting someones eyes. I felt like everyone was staring at me, and they probably were. The whole school knew. They knew about what my boyfriend Hunter and I did. They knew what happened as a result. They knew I was pregnant.

When I told Hunter, he had gotten upset. But he promised he would stay with me anyway, despite the fact that he didn't want the baby. He's an awful boyfriend, but I can't help but love him. He is the first guy I've ever dated, and for some reason, I can't seem to get over him. I made it to History without meeting anyone's eyes. But when I walked in, I heard everyone whispering. I didn't need to see them to know they were talking about me. I quietly walked to my seat in the back of the room.

“Naomi why are you late?”

I knew my teacher would probably bother me about being late. I had hoped she wouldn't, but of course, she did anyway.

“Uh, I had to go to the bathroom?”

It sounded more like a question than an answer. The entire class laughed, and my teacher narrowed her eyes at me.

“That's enough, settle down.”

Everyone quieted, and she continued her lecture. Thank god this is my last class for the day. For the past week, I have been avoiding eye contact with people, and hurrying from class to class in order to go unnoticed. It was working so far. But I knew it would be a lot harder when my belly grew to the size of a watermelon.

As I was leaving school, I saw Hunter, and pretended I hadn't. I was in no mood to talk to him. He ran to catch up with me.

“Naomi! Naomi, wait up babe!”

Soon I grew tired of trying to ignore him, and stopped, turning to face him. He came to a stop two feet from me, trying to catch his breath.

“What do you want, Hunter? I'm not in the mood.”
“I just wanted to know if you were coming with me to that party this weekend.”
“Party? What party?”
“You know, the one at Kevin's. You said you'd think about it.”
“You know I can't drink, Hunter.”
“I know that. You don't have to.”

I chewed on my bottom lip.

“I don't know, it may not be a good idea.”
“Come on, Naomi. Please just come.”
“Why, so you can completely ignore me the whole time, then get wasted so I have to take you home and take care of you like a baby?”
“That was one time, Naomi.”
“One time too many.”

He sighed.

“What do I have to do to get you to go?”

I pretended to think for a minute. I already knew what I wanted, but I didn't want it to look like I had been waiting to ask.

“Take me to prom.”

His confident look instantly faded.

“Prom? But that's still like three months from now.”
“So? I want to go.”

I knew he was debating whether it was still worth forcing me to go to the party. We had talked about this before. He hated the idea of going to prom, and didn't see the point in going, whereas I had been waiting for it my whole life.

“I don't know...”
“Either you take me to prom, or you'll be going to the party by yourself this weekend.”

He looked defeated.

“Okay, fine. I'll take you to prom.”

I had to fight the urge to jump up and down and squeal like a little girl.

“It's settled then, I'll go with you to your stupid party, and you'll go with me to prom in June.”

The look on his face meant he wasn't very pleased.

“Yeah, whatever. Just don't go blabbing about it to anyone. I gotta go now or I'll be late for Italian.”

I was about to ask since when does he care about being late, but I knew he just said it so he could leave. Instead, I watched him leave, then continued walking. I just don't understand him sometimes. Now I had to spend my weekend at a party that I didn't want to go to. Maybe it wouldn't be that bad. Something tells me that won't be the case though.

I was so wrapped up in my thoughts that I hadn't been watching where I was going. I walked right into someone, and dropped my books.

“Shit.” I mumbled under my breath.

I looked up to see what unfortunate person had crossed my path. I was relieved to see it was my friend, Vic.

“Oh, Vic I'm so sorry. I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings, again.”

He chuckled.

“It's alright novio, it was an accident.”

I went to go pick up my books, but her stopped me.

“Let me get them. You shouldn't be bending like that.”

I rolled my eyes.

“Vic, I'm perfectly capable of picking things up. I'm pregnant, not crippled.”
“I know, I know, I just trying to be nice Nomi.”

His little nickname for me always made me want to giggle for some reason. I've grown pretty used to it by now though, so it's not as hard to keep from laughing hysterically.

He handed me my books.

“Thank you.”
“No problem Nomi.”

I couldn't help but smile. Something about Vic always cheered me up. It's like no matter how angry or upset I am, he manages to brighten my mood. He doesn't even have to try, it's like he was born with some natural glow that has a positive affect on people.

“I'll see you around Vic.”
“See ya. Be more careful though, okay novio?”

I nodded, before tightening my hold on my books and parting ways with him. Now all I had to do was get home without any more mishaps.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is Naomi
Image

and this is Hunter Image