Status: Complete.

You Never Really Can Fix a Heart

Prologue

It’s your typical freezing Baltimore afternoon, two days before Christmas. I am bundled up as I called the pups to me. I have an adorable white and light brown Maltese, Shih Tzu mix named Max, he’s my tame cuddler. Then there is my wild brown and black Yorkie named Tarzan for obvious reasons. Then there’s my roommate/best friend’s light brown cocker spaniel named Finn, he’s pretty tame too, loves to lick you to death. Since it’s freezing outside and I can’t go walk them on a daily basis, I’m taking them to the pet store with me so they can be out of the house for a little bit. I need dog food anyways, since Rae conveniently forgot it on her way home from work yesterday.

I was looking at the fish since me and Rae are planning on getting an aquarium soon when Tarzan got away from me. “Tarzan get back here!” I yelled as I chased him through the store.

When I finally caught up with Tarzan he was playing with a guy. He was knelt down on the floor and is rubbing Tarzan’s belly. I let out a breath and the other dogs tried to go over to the guy and Tarzan but I held onto their leashes tightly. “This little guy yours?” the guy asked. He finally looked up at me so I got a good look at him and I tried to keep my composure because I knew him, but I doubt he remembered me.

“Um, yeah.” I said tucking my hair behind me ear. “Thanks for catching him.”

“No problem.” He said standing up with Tarzan in his arms. “It looks like you have your hands full.” He laughed as he nodded down at Max and Finn.

“I do with him.” I pointed to Tarzan who was now licking the guy’s face. “He’s a bit overzealous and rambunctious, which is why his name is Tarzan. But these two,” I nodded to the other pups who are wagging their tails trying to get attention, “are pretty tame. They like to cuddle and will lick you to death but other than that they are tame.”

“Should get another hyper dog to wrestle with him and wear him out, maybe he’ll calm down.” He suggested.

“I was thinking about it, but my roommate said three dogs is enough.” I shrugged, “But I try to wrestle with him plenty and sometimes go over to my friend’s house and let him play with her pup and it tries them both out.”

He nodded then extending his hand toward me, “I’m Alex by the way.”

I smirked at him but made no effort to shake his hand, “Oh I know who you are.”

Alex whispered ‘oh’ as he put his arm back at his side. “You’re a fan, I’m guessing.”

“A fan?” I raised an eyebrow as I played dumb. You see this guy is none other than Alex Gaskarth of All Time Low. I’ve known him since I was in high school, though I only met him a couple of times and I am far from being the geeky girl I was in high school.

“Okay, guess not.” He gave Tarzan one last pet and sat him back on the ground, handing me his leash. He looked a bit puzzled with a hint of disappointment. I’m not sure why he would be disappointed though, unless it’s because his flirting is getting him nowhere. “Have we met before? You do look somewhat familiar.”

“Nope.” I popped the ‘p’

“But if you’re not a fan of my band and we haven’t met then how do you know me?” he questioned.

I laughed and just shook my head. “It’s a secret.” I told him and went to walk away.

“Wait.” Alex called after me. I stopped and looked over my shoulder at him. “You never told me your name.”

“I know, and if you want to know it bad enough then all you have to do is ask the right questioned and look in the right places.” I winked at him.

His face scrunched up in confusion, “who says I want to know it that badly?”

“I could tell by the way you kept checking me out. And since you’re so cute, I’ll give you a hint, go check some yearbooks.” I told him then walked away, leaving one perplexed Alex Gaskarth standing there.
I went and got the dog food I needed and went home. When I got home I was surprised to see my best friend Zack sitting on my couch playing video games. I knew he was in town but he never said he would be stopping by, I thought he would be spending all of his time with his family since he’s been gone for so long. I bent down and took all of the dogs off their leashes before going to greet him. “Hey loser, how did you get in my house?” I asked as I plopped down on the couch beside him.

“One I do have a key; I think you keep forgetting that detail. And two, Rae let me in.” he said not looking away from the TV. Before I could ask where Rae was, considering she’s supposed to be at work right now, I heard moaning coming from upstairs.

I groaned, “Tell me that you didn’t come here with Jack.”

“Sorry,” he laughed then paused the game. He put one leg up on the couch and turned his body so he was facing me. “You really need to get laid; I heard you’ve been grumpy.”

I smirked at him playfully, “are you offering?”

“You know that I’m not the hook up type.” He shook his head “Plus we’ve been down that road.”

“We were teenagers and we never did anything sexual.” I retorted.

“That’s true, and it was because we both agreed that we were better off as friends.” He pointed out.

I glared at him, “No you said we were better off as friends, I said I was okay with just being friends if that’s what you wanted. I never said I didn’t want to fuck you. Friends can have benefits.”

“You have such a foul mouth for such a pretty girl.” He smirked. “And I know friends can have benefits, but I don’t want to ruin our friendship with sex.” He said as the dogs jumped on the couch.

“Sex does ruin everything.” I sighed. And that’s why I stick to hooking up with guys I know I’ll never see again, at least now I do.

“Don’t ruin the mood by thinking about Blake.” He said pulling me onto his lap.

Blake is my ex and let’s just says he wasn’t a nice guy. He damaged me a lot and now I don’t believe in relationships and love, hence why I stick to hookups. That time period put a big damper on mine and Zack’s friendship since Blake hated Zack and how close we are. Thankfully Zack didn’t hold it against me, it actually brought us closer and now he’s even more protective over me.

“Sorry.” I mumbled into his chest. Max decided he was going to jump on us and try to get in between me and Zack.

I held Max in my arms as he licked my face. A couple of minutes later we heard footsteps coming down the stairs. “I guess they are done.” Zack laughed.

“Lo!” Jack yelled excitedly then jumped on top of me and Zack.

“Don’t squish Max!” I screamed.

“Dude, get the fuck off us with your gross post sex self.” Zack shoved Jack but he just cuddled into us.

“No, I haven’t seen Lo in forever.” Jack whined.

“That’s because you’re always busy fucking Rae when you’re in town.” I pointed out.

“Are you jealous?” he sat up.

“Hardly.” I rolled my eyes just as Rae made her way downstairs. “You two are so rude, leaving poor Zack down here alone to listen to your sexcapades.” I scolded them.

“He’s witnessed worse.” Jack shrugged then sat down on the couch. He does have a point though; we’ve all seen Jack’s dick and once Zack walked in on…lets not get into that story.

“Oh, you guys will never guess who I ran into at the pet store.” I said as I sat up on Zack’s lap.

“Please tell me that Blake isn’t in town because I will kill him.” Zack said bitterly. And knowing Zack he would and completely could.

“Nope, as far as I know he’s still in Florida, maybe it’s Washington now, I don’t know.” I scrunched up my nose. “I ran into Alex.”

“Alex who? Alex Gaskarth? My best friend? That Alex?” Jack asked. If you haven’t figured it out before now, yes my best friend and Rae’s fuck buddy are half of All Time Low. This is how I know Alex, though I’ve stayed away from him because I really don’t like him. But that’s a story for another time.

“The one and only.” I nodded.

“How did that go?” Rae asked nervously.

“He asked if we met before. But I just messed with his head.” I shrugged. “And I swear if either of you boys tells him that you know me, I will castrate you in your sleep. I know he will tell you about me, so just keep your mouths shut.” I warned the boys.

“Hey I like his penis! So don’t harm it.” Rae scolded me causing me to roll my eyes.

“Yeah!” Jack stuck his tongue out at me.

“You won’t have a problem as long as you keep your mouth shut.” I smirked.

“You’re lucky that I love you and your tits and value my huge dick.” Jack said then up and kissed my forehead. I wonder why I put up with him sometimes.

“Well I’ve never said I had a sexy best friend so no worries here.” Zack shrugged then wrapped his arms around my waist, hugging me tightly. Yes we are very affectionate with each other. I sighed and hoped that Alex would never find me. I have been to many All Time Low concerts, and have obviously lived in Baltimore all of my life and since the guys got big; I have never had a run in with Alex until now, so it probably won’t happen again. But then again, I am usually wrong, this will not be the last time Alex and I cross paths and unknown to me right now, he’s about to shake up my life.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is just a little insight into the character of Lauren and her background. This is just the beginning of very BIG things that are to come. I hope y'all give this story a chance. It's my first All Time Low story and I'm really excited for it. Thanks for reading.