When you were there....

Chp.2

After the show Andrew and I were walking downtown, it was probably 1am, he was half past wasted and just talking my ear off about the show. He got so juiced about those kinds of things. I think he was mostly just ready to start playing again in his band, it had been a long time and his nerves and the excitement of it all was getting the best of him.

"That show was amazing. Wasn't it? Argh! I can't wait for Saturday. Mother Love Bone is back baby and we're taking over the world!",he shouted at the tops of his lungs.

"Calm down Andrew.",I said in a laughing matter.

"It was a good show though. That band, Pearl Jam was pretty good.",I added.

"Yea. Chris and their singer, Eddie are thinking about doing a collaboration of sorts.",Andrew said.

"Yea? That'd be pretty cool.",I replied.

"What's wrong with you?",he asked.

"Nothing...",I said.

"I don't know... I was seeing the way you were eye-balling that singer.You like him or something?",he asked.

"No! I don't even know him.He put on a good show.",I added.

"Yea right, whatever.",he replied.

"It's late Andy, wanna walk me home?",I asked in a playful manner.

"I would love to my dear.",Andrew said in his best british accent. And home we went.

I woke up the next morning, 11am.... rolled over to get the sun out of my eyes and as I slowly began to open them I was greeted with a a huge smile and handsome brown eyes.

"Morning love.",Andrew said as he stared me right in the face, his face no more than a foot away from mine.

"What the hell Andy?!",I said throwing the blanket over my face.

"What?",he said as he sat up next to me in bed.

"What are you doing here?",I asked, finally peering from underneath the covers.

"Figured I wake you up, it's early sunshine, gotta get up.",he added.

"My mom let you in.",I said.

"You're mom loves me. I'm pretty sure she wants us to get married and make tons of beautiful blonde haired, brown skinned babies.",he said.

"Oh shut up.",I said slapping his arm.

"Get up. Cornell wants us to meet him and Eddie at the coffee shop.",Andy finally threw in.

My eyes widened,"What?",I asked.

"I knew that would get you up.",he said getting up and looking through my closet, examining everything quite fondly.

"Why are we going to the coffee shop?",I asked throwing my feet over and out beside my bed. Running my fingers through my messy hair.

"I told you, we're meeting Chris and Eddie.",he replied.

"Yea I got that, but why?",I asked.

"Just meet them there. Eddie's new to the city so Chris is just trying to get him acquainted with the city and the people. You know, our scene.",Andrew said as he threw a shirt and pair of jeans onto my bed.

"You picking my clothes out now mom?",I asked looking over the attire Andy threw on my bed.

"You wanna make a good impression right?",he asked.

"Good impression for what? You love me just the way I am, and I've known Chris forever. I could go looking like I've been run over by a bulldozer and neither one of you would care.",I replied slipping my sleep shirt off over my head and wiggling out of my boxers.

"Pass me a pair of underwear.",I said quickly.

"Eddie. You know, the guy you were drooling over last night at the club?",he asked smartly as he rummaged through my underwear drawer and tossed me a pair.

"I wasn't drooling over him. He's cute, no doubt. But I'm not exactly looking for anyone at the moment.",I said as I caught them and slipped them on, grabbing the shirt Andy picked out for me and putting it on as well. "Plus, you're all I need.",I added with a sly smile.

"You're sweet, but it couldn't hurt to be friends with the guy. Especially if he's going to be living with Chris and I.",Andrew said.

"Why's he moving in with you guys?",I asked stepping into my pants, wiggling them up my thighs and then finally buttoning them at my waist.

"Well he's decided to move up here. He digs the band, digs the scene. It'll be cool to have him there too, we can all help each other with songs and inspire one another. I'm a getting a boner just thinking about it.",Andrew replied.

"You're so gross. But yea, I mean if he's staying here meeting him wouldn't be a bad idea. I'm all about being social.",I exclaimed in sarcasm.

"We all know you're Savannah the hard ass and you don't bow down for anyone. Hell I'm surprised you're friends with me and I forced you to talk to me. But you and Eddie could get along well. I'm not asking you to take him out to dinner and meet his mom. It's just a quick stop at the coffee shop, say hi and bye then we can spend the day doing whatever else you want.",Andrew said.

"Ugh, I hate how right you are about me sometimes.",I said.

"No one knows you better. Now hurry up and finish getting ready.",he replied.

We were walking down the street slowly approaching the coffee shop. The air was cold as I dug my hands deep into the pockets of my 2nd hand army green coat. I would pull them out every now and then to fiddle with my hair to keep in it place with how it looked good when I examined myself in the mirror this morning. Andrew and I walked past the giant glass window of the coffee shop and inside we could see Chris and Eddie sitting there. Both had these really sweet smiles on. As we walked in they both simultaneously turned their heads and looked towards us. As soon as I saw the shine of Eddies eyes I felt a lump in my throat. If I didn't care that I'd look like an idiot I would've turned around and walked out.

"Hey Andrew, Savannah. We were waiting for you guys.",Chris said as he stood up and gave both Andrew and I a hug.

"Yea, Savannah took forever getting ready this morning.",Andrew replied as he and I took a seat at the table with Chris and Eddie.

"Did not. How are you Chris? Great show last night.",I added.

"Thank-you. And I'm doing well. Just recovering after the after party last night. Crazy.",he said.

"We didn't see you guys there, what happened?",he asked.

"Just went home. Tired.",I said.

"Oh, how rude of me. Savannah this is Eddie.",Chris said, finally introducing me to Pearl Jams mystery singer.

"Nice to meet you.",I said extending my hand out to him. He returned the shake, holding onto my hand a little longer than a normal hand shake. His skin was smooth and warm.

"The pleasure's mine.",Eddie said.

"I think I saw you last night. Middle section, a few rows back? You were wearing that same jacket.",Eddie add.

"Yea. You couldn't of missed me. I had this crazy blonde next to me.",I said motioning to Andrew.

"I actually didn't even notice him until after.",he said.

"No offense Andrew.",Eddie said.

"None taken, she's a wonderful woman how could you miss her?",Andrew asked.

Andrew was always so sweet to me. The way he looked at me and talked about me to other people was just so heart felt and beautiful. He was an amazing person and I was glad we were best friends. We had a relationship that no one really understood. They were always so shocked as to how close we were being just friends, they always felt we should have been something more. But that was the beauty of our relationship. We were comfortable with just what we had, if it's not broke don't fix it.

"Oh Andy, you're so sweet.",I said as I leaned my head on him.

I looked at Eddie and he had this look in his eye. I'm sure everyone else saw it too. I didn't know what to make of it so I just brushed it off. We all sat there a while longer, drank a few coffees and just chit chatted for a minute.

"Well I'm gonna leave you boys to go do a little shopping.",I said as I stood up and moved away from the table.

"Where you going?",Andy asked.

"There's a Salvation Army like 3 blocks from here. Wanna get some of my winter shopping done.",I said.

"I've been meaning to see the city before I go back to San Diego to start moving. Mind showing me around?",Eddie asked.

I looked at Andrew and he had this really sweet, accepting look on his face. "Sure.", I replied.

So Eddie stood up from the table, we told Chris and Andrew good-bye, then headed down the street to do a little shopping.

"So when you going back to San Diego?",I asked Eddie as we were walking.

"In a few days actually. I didn't come down here thinking everything would work out so well, but it did. Now I can't imagine not being here.",he answered.

"Really? Seattle's cool and all, but it's definitely not California.",I added.

"You been there?",he asked.

"I used to live there. Northern California though, not Southern. It's a beautiful place. I miss the sun.",I said.

"Why'd you move all the way up here?",he asked.

"Andy.",I said.

"We went to high school together in California. He always wanted to move away, I never thought he'd do it. So when he said he was moving to Seattle I was surprised.",I said.

"You just tagged along?",Eddie asked.

"A lot of what people don't understand about Andrew and I is that we're best friends. I live for him and he lives for me. I support him in anything he wants to do, as he does for me. When you find something, or someone like that you don't just let them go. You go with them. Always. Andrew's had a tough couple of years and everyone's been behind him and supporting him, taking care of him. If he woke up tomorrow morning and wanted to move to Alaska I'd be right there next to him on that flight.",I added.

"Seems like you two really care about each other.",he said.

"We do. No one will ever come between that.",I replied.

Eddie shot this look at me. And it sent chills down my spine. Something about him was just really smooth yet quiet and cool. He had an ease about him. Where I felt rushed all the time he was sort of the polar opposite in that he took everything day by day, piece by piece and just let it flow. I was almost jealous.

So for a few hours Eddie and I got a bit more acquainted, browsed around. I showed him the side of Seattle no tour guide would be able to show him and just let him in to the scene a bit more. I knew Chris had done a much better job than I would have in showing him the music that Seattle had to offer, but I had a few tricks up my sleeve as well.

Later on that night Eddie and I ventured back to Cornell's place. As we entered the battered bachelor pad all I heard was the sound of strumming acoustics and sweet mellow voices. I closed the door behind me as Eddie and I entered the apartment and my eyes met with Andrew, they were a bit red and droopy and I knew what was happening.

"Hey, where have you two been? Been waiting for you.", Andy said as he lifted a cigarette to his mouth and took a drag.

"We were out shopping, then I showed Eddie around town a little. Can I talk to you for a minute Andy?",I asked motioning for him to follow me. I made my way around the corner of the living room into what was Chris' bedroom. It was occupied with 2 mattresses, a few sheets and tons of cassettes and music equipment. I tip toed around a few things until I felt I was deep enough into the room where Andy and I's conversation wouldn't be heard. Andy came up right behind me.

"What's up?",he asked.

"What the fuck are you doing?",I asked.

"What are you talking about?",he asked not very caring like.

"Andrew, your eyes are bloodshot, you reek of pot. You've worked so hard on your sobriety and you're throwing it all away.",I said raising my voice a bit.

"It's weed, Sav. Calm down.",he added.

"It's weed? Isn't that how all this shit started? First it's weed & alcohol, then it's a little blow here and there, then before I know it you're going to be shooting up again. I didn't go through all that shit I went through for you trying to get you into rehab just to do it all over again. You promised Andy.",I said, my voice now cracking as this realization came over me that the cycle was starting again and how much I couldn't stand to see him go through all this again let alone go through it again myself.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you. I didn't think it was going to be this big of deal. I did promise you I would stop and I am. I'm still continuing on with my sobriety.",he replied.

He pulled me in close to him and touched his forehead to mine. I closed my eyes fighting back the tears and that's when he placed his hands on my head and placed a soft kiss on my nose then on my lips.

"I'm sorry.",he said lowly.

I nodded my head. I wanted to believe him, but this wasn't the first time he'd relapsed. And it wasn't going to be the last. I don't know why he decided to smoke that night, a vast majority of Andrews use circulated around hard times and I don't know what could possibly be going on with him to make him want to use again, even if it was only pot. There was something he wasn't telling me.

"Let's go home.",he said. He grabbed my hand and we walked back out to the living room and said bye to Chris and Eddie then started the long walk back to Andy's apartment where we went back and made love like we usually did when I stayed over. I don't know how I allowed this to even start, it was like one night we were just talking and I always loved my talks with him, they were so deep and heartfelt. He was unlike any other guy I'd ever dealt with. It's the main reason why I never dated. Why would I? Everything I wanted I got from Andy. Everything I needed Andy was. Plus he was the jealous type. He wouldn't blatantly come out and make it known, but you could tell. Everyone could. He was sensitive and the last thing I wanted to do was hurt his feelings, so I stopped dating, talking to other guys, and just focused on Andy and I's friendship.

As we laid there in bed, the window open letting the cool night air in. The moonlight hitting Andrews silky blonde hair and my arm laid across his chest as his chin rested on top of my head. It was the only time I felt real comfort. Not a care in the world, or a worry for that matter, except tonight there was worry. I worried for Andy and his well being.

"Are you going to be okay Andy?",I asked.

"Yea. Just a minor set back.",he replied.

"But I'm focused now. I'm going to focus on my music and staying positive.",he added.

"Good. I don't like having to worry about you.",I said.

"I know.",he said back.

He kissed me on my forehead and we drifted off to sleep. Who knows what tomorrow would bring. I just wanted to enjoy this moment I was in.