The Golden Quartet: Year 4

Chapter 1

CHAPTER 1

There suddenly was a loud ruckus from downstairs. Hermione looked up from her book, a small smile forming on her face, “They’re back with Harry.”

“They better be back with Harry.” Astrid said, sitting up from the bed, closing a spell book her uncle gave her last Christmas.

“I’ll go down and check.” Hermione got up.

“I’ll go too. The boys took some of their new… products with them. I’m curious if they worked.” Athena closed Aldara’s cage and got up and went downstairs with Hermione.

Astrid got up from the bed, ran her fingers through her hair, and happened to look at her reflection in the window. She hadn’t changed much; much of her baby-fat was gone, her hair was much longer now – reaching her mid-back. It was dark, thick and wavy. Astrid pursed her lips and then decided to tie it up and examine the rest of her face. Her eyes were dark, charcoal gray, like her father’s. Her jaw was soft, unlike her sister’s and mothers who had strong, square jaws, but Astrid did inherit her mother’s pink, full lips. Astrid got her father’s long, button nose and his thick eyebrows.

Overall Astrid was pleased with her looks.

She then frowned and stepped away from the window. Looks? Why do I care about my looks? Astrid scoffed and then untied her hair and ruffled it for good measure.

The door opened and in came Hermione, Ron, and, “Harry!” Astrid beamed. “Muggles didn’t trouble you too much about coming over did they?”

Harry looked at Astrid and returned the smile, “They were a bit hesitant at first, but then I mentioned your parents…”

Astrid laughed, “Good thinking.”

Harry looked around the room, “Are you staying in here?”

“What? No! You, Ron, Fred and George are sharing this room. Hermione, Athena, and I are staying with Ginny. We were just hanging out in here.” Astrid said.

“How long have you been here?” Harry asked, dragging in his trunk. He put it at the end of one of the beds and Ron put Hedwig by Aldara and Xander. They immediately began chirping away at each other.

“Athena and I got here practically once summer break started.” Astrid said.

“Yeah, Fred and George wanted Athena’s help with some of their products. Astrid has been practicing Quidditch with them as well.” Ron said, collapsing on a bed and Harry sat next to him as Hermione sat down on other bed with Astrid.

“You’re going to tryout for Quidditch this year?” Harry asked.

“Yeah, Keeper.” Astrid said.

“So, Sirius wrote to me. He’s somewhere tropical.” Harry said.

“Oh, right, about that, Harry, he’s actually staying at our home – sort of.” Astrid said.

Harry looked confused, “What do you mean he’s staying at your house, ‘sort of’?”

“He was staying at our’s, snuck in as a dog, but to send you letters, he had to leave. The Ministry is still watching us and checking our mail so we couldn’t tell you he was staying with us. So him and my mum have been traveling around on vacation together.” Astrid smiled.

“I’m glad they finally have time together.” Harry said.

“I think they’re done arguing.” Hermione said, listening to the quiet.

“I take it then, Fred and George’s prank worked?” Astrid asked.

Ron and Harry grinned, “Beautifully.”

“Shall we go down and help your mum with dinner?” Hermione stood up.

“Yeah, all right.” Ron said.

The four of them went downstairs to the kitchen, where Mrs. Weasley stood, looking bad-tempered, obviously still angry about the twins’ prank. “We’re having dinner out in the garden. There’s just no room for thirteen people in here. Could you take the plates outside, girls? Bill and Charlie are setting up the tables. Knives and forks, please, you two,” she said to Ron and Harry.

Hermione and Astrid grabbed the plates and then headed outside. “Oh, look out!” Hermione gasped, nearly knocked off balance as a gnarly looking, potato with legs – a gnome – ran through her legs, quickly followed by an excited looking Crookshanks.

They proceeded into the garden and Astrid sighed when she saw Bill and Charlie were still playing with the tables in the air. “Oh come on, these dishes are heavy!” she shouted at them.

“Just a moment,” Charlie said, moving his wand slightly, making his table crash into Bill’s causing a loud crashing noise.

Fred and George were cheering as Athena and Ginny were laughing. Bill then shot his table over at Charlie’s, knocking it down to the ground creating a loud clatter.

“Will you keep it down?!” Percy shouted, poking his head out from his bedroom window.

“Sorry, Perce,” Bill apologized, though he was grinning. “How’s the cauldron bottoms coming on?”

“Very badly!” Percy slammed the window shut.

Chuckling, Bill and Charlie directed the tables safely onto the grass, end to end and with a flick of his wand, Bill conjured a table cloth out of thin air.

“Thank you!” Astrid and Hermione finally placed the piles of plates onto the tables, followed by Ron and Harry who placed the knives and forks.

By seven o’clock, the tables were carrying heaps of assorted dishes of Mrs. Weasley’s wonderful cooking and the nine Weasleys, two Blacks, Harry and Hermione were settled down to eat beneath a clear, deep blue night sky.

At one end of the table, Percy and Mr. Weasley were discussing the cauldron bottoms problem.

“I told Mr. Crouch that I’ll have it ready by Tuesday,” Percy said pompously. “It’s a bit sooner that he expected it, but I like to keep on top of things. I think he’ll be grateful I’ve done it in good time, I mean, it’s extremely busy in our department just now, what with all the arrangements for the World Cup. We’re just not getting the support we need from the Department of Magical Games and Sports…” they went on to talk about the technical side of putting the Quidditch World Cup together, mentioning Ludo Bagman – the man who got the tickets for Mr. Weasley.

Bill and Charlie were talking about the new dragon that was placed at Bill’s bank, when Mrs. Weasley interrupted to tell Bill to cut his hair, which Ginny expressed her fondness for.

Fred, George, and Athena were talking happily about the World Cup.

“Ireland is going to win – they flattened Peru in the semifinals!” Athena stated.

“Bulgaria has got Viktor Krum, though.” Fred said.

“Yeah, Krum is a great player – but that it. Just one great player!” Athena said.

“Yeah, and Ireland has a complete team of great players.” Astrid piped in.

“I wish England had got through. That was embarrassing.” George said.

“What happened?” Harry asked.

“Went down to Transylvania; three hundred and ninety to ten.” George answered.

“It was a complete shock. And Whales lost to Uganda, and Scotland was slaughtered by Luxembourg.” Ron said, shaking his head in disappointment.

“I’m glad you and Sirius are writing to each other.” Astrid whispered to Harry. “I really wish things had turned out differently last year, though. It really would have been great, all of us living together in the countryside.”

“Yeah, well, Pettigrew can’t stay in hiding for long – and,” Harry looked as if he just remembered something, and not something happy.

“Harry? What is it?” Hermione asked.

Harry gave a smile and looked around, then shook his head, “Nothing. Really.”

“Look at the time,” Mrs. Weasley said suddenly, looking at her wristwatch. “You all really should be in bed – you’ll be up at the crack of dawn to get to the Cup. Harry if you leave your school list out, I’ll get your things for you tomorrow in Diagon Alley. I’m getting everyone else’s. There might not be time after the World Cup, the match went on for five days last time!”

“Wow – I hope it does this time!” Harry said, enthusiastically.

“Well, I certainly don’t,” Percy said darkly. “I shudder to think what the state of my in-tray would be if I was away from work for five days.”

“Yeah, someone might slip dragon dung in it again, eh, Perce?” Fred said.

“That was a sample of fertilizer from Norway!” Percy said, getting red in the face. “It was nothing personal!

“It was,” Fred whispered, to the quartet as they all got up from the table. “We sent it.”

~~~

My feet were hitting the hard ground; I was running with great purpose. There was a sick feeling in me – it was slightly familiar, though. Someone was dead… someone important… but why was that feeling familiar to me? I have never lost someone I cared for in any way.

But there was more to this feeling. The anger, the confusion, the sadness was greater than anything I had ever felt. I wanted to cry, to scream… to kill the one who made me feel this way.

And that is what I was doing… running after her… her… the woman who killed… him…
But there was someone in my way. I pushed the boy roughly and he fell to the side. My wand was out, and I held it tightly, pointing it at her chest. I knew the words… but could I say them?

There was a chill in the air and it made its way down my spine.

A man was now standing in front of me… but it was obscure… his words were like hisses that I could not understand.

There was a strong force that hit me and I fell down, next to the boy.

“Avada kadavra!” I understood those words that came out of the man’s mouth.

But it was not I who was hit with the green bolt. Someone else… someone who I loved… on the ground… motionless.


“Astrid, dear, wake up,” Mrs. Weasley gently shook Astrid awake.

Astrid groaned, “… mmm… dream…”

“I have to go wake up the boys. Hermione, make sure Astrid gets ready quickly, dear.” Mrs. Weasley patted Hermione’s shoulder, who was already up and out of bed.

Astrid slowly sat up and rubbed her eyes, “Whoa… I had a wicked dream.”

Hermione pulled off Astrid’s sheet, causing her to glare. “Really? What about?” Hermione went over to her trunk and got out her clothes.

Ginny was already half dressed, pulling her shirt over her head. “A good ‘wicked’ or a bad ‘wicked’?”

Athena threw Astrid’s clothes at her, “Whatever it was about – get dressed first.”

Astrid began to take off her pajamas, “Someone was dead,” she began.

So, bad ‘wicked’,” Ginny said with a small chuckle, putting on a jumper.

Hermione frowned, “Someone died in your dream?”

“Well, actually, I think… two people were dead at the end.” Astrid pulled on her pants and then her shirt.

“Who?” Athena asked.

Astrid plopped down on the bed to put on her shoes, “Don’t know.”

“You don’t know?” Athena asked.

“That’s what I said. I don’t know,” Astrid seemed a bit annoyed and then paused to think back on the dream. “A man. He was dead… then… I don’t know. Someone else. It was weird…”

“Why was it weird?” Hermione asked, standing, all ready to go.

“I just… felt like I knew them… the two who died… in the dream… I felt sad… horribly sad… then there was another woman and man!” Astrid said, recalling more of the dream.

“Not the same man and woman who was dead?” Ginny asked; she, too, was now ready.

“No, they were different. I was standing over the woman… I think I was going to kill her-“

“That’s terrible! Why would you want to kill someone?” Hermione asked, horrified at the thought of Astrid becoming a murderer.

“I don’t know! It was just a dream! Come on, we’re ready. Let’s go.” Astrid got up from the bed, grabbed her scarf and wrapped it around her neck, then grabbed her wand and was ready to go.

“So, it wasn’t a vision?” Hermione asked, concern written all over her face.

“Oh no, Astrid only has visions when she’s awake.” Athena said, relaxed.

“Yeah, it was definitely just a dream, thankfully. I can’t really see myself killing someone.” Astrid shook her head.

“Come on, let’s get downstairs.” Ginny said and left the room, followed by the other girls.

“George!” They heard Mrs. Weasley shout once they got downstairs.

“What?” George asked in an innocent tone, which convinced no one.

“What is that in your pocket?”

“Nothing!”

“Don’t lie to me!”

Mrs. Weasley pointed her wand at his pocket, “Accio!

Several small, brightly colored object shot out of his pockets and into Mrs. Weasley’s hand.

“We told you to destroy them!” Mrs. Weasley was furious. “We told you to get rid of the lot! Empty out your pockets, go on, both of you!”

Fred and George sullenly began to take out the knick-knacks in their pockets and hand them over to their mother, but she wasn’t fully convinced. “Accio! Accio! Accio!” She shouted and more assortments shot out from their jackets and even out of their shoes.

“We spent six months developing those!” Fred shouted as his mother threw them away.

“Oh, a fine way to spend six months!” she shrieked. “No wonder you didn’t get more O.W.L.s!”

Fred and George turned to Athena, as if waiting for her to say something.

She looked as afraid as they had when Mrs. Weasley was yelling at them, “What?” she managed to say.

“You aren’t going to say anything?” Fred asked.

“Now why would she say anything?” Mrs. Weasley asked. “She probably knows exactly how ridiculous this whole thing is!”

Fred and George turned away and needless to say, the atmosphere was not a happy one as they set off.

It was chilly outside and the moon was still up as they walked outside and the sun was barely peeking out over the horizon.

Astrid grabbed Athena and pulled her back, “What was that about?”

“What?” Athena asked.

“About the twins!”

“Oh.”

Well?

Athena sighed, “I’ve… been… helping them make those things.”

Astrid’s eyes widened, “What?

“Yeah. They really wanted my help, not necessarily to make them actually, but more of the business side.”

“Business side?” Astrid raised an eyebrow.

She smiled and nodded, “They’re taking this very seriously! They want to open up their own shop!”
Astrid’s eyes widened, “Alright… but that still doesn’t explain why Fred and George are mad at you.”

“I guess… they wanted me to speak out against Mrs. Weasley for them. I don’t know why. I’ve always helped them with things but whenever they’d get in trouble they’d leave me out!” Athena shook her head and looked onward at Fred and George who were ahead at the front of the group.

“Then it really must be important to them if they’re bringing you in to help fight their battles… do you think what they’re doing could become a success?”

“Well, they are good at it. Lee Jordan wants to get involved too… and with my help they’ll have a better chance-“

“Do you think they’ll succeed or not – no overthinking, just answer!” Astrid said harshly.

“Yes!” Athena answered quickly.

“Then you should tell that to Mrs. Weasley. You’re smart and level-headed and she knows all this – she’ll at least listen8 to what you have to say, unlike shutting you down like she has been with the twins.”

“Alright. I will. When we get back from the tournament.” Athena looked down at Astrid with a strange look in her eyes.

Astrid frowned, “What?”

Athena smiled, “Well, it’s just usually I’m the one giving the advice. I’m glad to see I’m rubbing off on my wittle sister!” she wrapped her arm around Astrid and squeezed her tightly.

“Ugh! Just go make up with Fred before he realizes how much of a dork you are!” Astrid pulled away from Athena and ran over to the group.

They all came to a large hill and began climbing it. “Whew,” Mr. Weasley panted, wiping his forehead. “Well, we’ve made good time – we’ve got ten minutes…” they looked down at an old boot which Astrid guessed was the Portkey.

“Arthur!” Two tall figures came striding up the hill.

“Ah, Amos!” Mr. Weasley greeted the older man with a smile. “Everyone, this is Amos Diggory. He works for the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures. I think you know his son, Cedric?”

Cedric Diggory stood next to his father, a friendly smile on his handsome face. A humble and just Hufflepuff through and through.

“Hi,” he said to everyone.

Everyone said hello back except for Fred and George who just nodded, still upset at Cedric for beating Gryffindor in the first match last year.

“Long walk, Arthur?” Amos asked.

“Not too bad. You?” Mr. Weasley responded.

“Had to get up at two, didn’t we, Ced? I tell you, I’ll be glad when he’s got his Apparition test. Still… not complaining… Quidditch World Cup, wouldn’t miss it for a sackful of Galleons – and the tickets cost about that. Mind you, looks like I got off easy…” Amos peered good-naturedly around at the four Weasley kids, two Black girls, Harry and Hermione. “All these yours, Arthur?”

“Oh no, only the redheads,” Mr. Weasley said, with a bit of a chuckle. “This is Hermione, friend of Ron’s, Athena here is a friend of the twins – dating one of them,” he winked. “And Astrid, younger sister of Athena and that there is Harry – friends of Ron as well-“

“Merlin’s beard,” Amos’s eyes widened. “Harry? Harry Potter?

“Er – yeah,” Harry said.

“Ced’s talked about you, of course,” Amos said. “Told us all about playing against you last year… I said to him, I said – Ced, that’ll be something to tell your grandchildren, that you beat Harry Potter!

Harry said nothing and a look of embarrassment washed over Cedric’s face. He obviously didn’t get his humility from his father.

“Harry fell off his broom, dad,” Cedric muttered. “I told you… it was an accident…”

“Yes, but you didn’t fall off, did you?” Amos slapped Cedric on the back. “Always modest, our Ced, always the gentleman… but the best man won, I’m sure Harry’d say the same, wouldn’t you, eh? One falls off his broom, one stays on, you don’t need to be a genius to tell which one’s the better flier!”

Astrid opened her mouth but Harry whispered, “Astrid it’s fine.”

“But-“

“We won the cup.”

“Yeah, but-“

“And with you on the field as Keeper, Hufflepuff will never make another score,” he reassured her.

Astrid smiled, “That is true.”

“Must be nearly time,” Mr. Weasley said, pulling out his watch. “Do you know whether we’re waiting for any more, Amos?”

“No, the Lovegoods have been there for a week already and the Fawcetts couldn’t get tickets,” Amos said. “There aren’t any more of us in this area, are there?”

“Not that I know of,” Mr. Weasley responded. “Yes, it’s a minute off… We’d better get ready…” he looked at the group, “You just need to touch the Portkey, that’s all, a finger will do.“

With great difficulty, the eleven of them crowded around the old boot.

“Three…” Mr. Weasley muttered, an eye still on his watch. “Two... one…”

It happened suddenly: it felt as if a hook behind their navels had been jerked forward and their feet left the ground. Their shoulders banged against each other; they were speeding away, looking like a swirl of color.

Astrid’s feet suddenly hit the ground and she fell forward, and felt someone fall on top of her. Cedric, Amos, and Mr. Weasley were all standing on their feet, not looking too winded by the journey to their current destination; everyone else was on the ground.

“Ah,” Mr. Weasley was smiling. “Welcome to the Quidditch World Cup, kids!”