The Golden Quartet: Year 4

Chapter 7

CHAPTER 7

Astrid’s eyes shot open and she quickly sat up, a startled Hermione who was putting on her skirt tripped back over her shoes and fell on the floor.

“Astrid, what – ow – what’s wrong?” Hermione got to her feet.

“I just remembered… my uncle is our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher,” Astrid stated and threw off her sheets and got out of bed.

“I’m surprised you aren’t more thrilled? I’d think he’d show you favoritism.” Hermione said is a disapproving tone.

Astrid let out a short, sarcastic laugh, “Yeah, right! If anything he’ll expect me to surpass all we’ve learned and be twice as good as everyone else!”

“Well, aren’t you?” Hermione asked, knowing fully well that Astrid’s knowledge of spells surpassed most students their age.

“Oh, well, yeah, but that just means he’ll also expect me to work twice as hard as everyone else!” Astrid groaned. “I hate hard work…”

“Well, the Sorting Hat was right not to put you into Hufflepuff...” Hermione stated putting on her robe.

“What can I say? I’m a Gryffindor through and through.” Astrid smirked and began to get dressed.

Once they were dressed and ready they headed down the staircase to meet with the boys, and were greeted with the sight and sounds of Fred trying to get back on Athena’s good side.

“What I said last night – I didn’t mean it like that! I was just angry about not being able to compete and you weren’t exactly being there for me,” Fred said.

“What do you want me to say Fred? ‘Oh, here, let me help you enter a deadly tournament!’?” Athena crossed her arms and shook her head. “Tell me you aren’t actually still planning on trying to fool the judge?”

Fred averted his gaze and it landed on Astrid and his eyebrows rose. Astrid’s eyes widened and she shook her head, but Fred walked over to her and wrapped an arm around her shoulders, “Even your sister is supporting me and wants in!”

Athena’s eyes flew to Astrid and fury filled them quickly; it was a look Astrid feared – a look Athena inherited from their mother.

Astrid Anne Black!” Athena hissed and marched over to them. Fred immediately dropped his arm and took a large step backwards as Athena seemed to have suddenly grown several feet taller as she towered over her younger sister. “You absolutely will not be taking any part in this!”

“You can’t decide that for me,” Astrid yelled in her head, but it came out more as a mumble.

“I will watch you like a hawk and make sure you don’t enter! You’re life has been nothing but turmoil and dangerous since you set foot on this school! Why can’t you just try and have a normal year for once?! You run around with your friends trying to solve dangerous mysteries and you end up in the hospital wing and I am completely in the dark! I understand those situations weren’t exactly your choice, but this one would be and I will not watch you make a stupid decision all for the sake of ‘glory’!” Athena bellowed.

Astrid’s eyes were wide. Not even their mother had ever yelled at Astrid the way Athena just did.

“You are not entering, do I make myself clear?” Athena whispered dangerously, lowering her furious eyes to meet Astrid’s.

Astrid frowned and crossed her arms and mumbled, “Yeah, whatever, like Fred’s stupid plan woulda worked anyways...”

“Hey!” Fred frowned.

“And you!” Athena turned to Fred who immediately shut up. “You…” Athena let out a sigh, “well, you can do whatever you want, but I will not be a part of it.” Athena turned to leave but stopped and then turned back and walked to Fred.

Fred still looked frightened but relaxed when Athena took his hands into hers, “I know what that prize money means to you, Fred… I understand… but you need to understand why I can’t help you… if you were to succeed… and then something bad were to happen to you in the tournament… I would never be able to get over it… and I wouldn’t be able to ever forgive myself.”

Fred nodded, “Yeah, I get it… still mad at me?”

Athena let out a sigh, “No, not at the moment.”

“Damn, because you look so cute when you’re so angry,” Fred said as he began to lean down.

“Oh, gross, I’m going to class.” Astrid said and left quickly with Hermione, not even wanting to wait for Harry and Ron.

“I think Fred and Athena are really good for each other. They’re so different and help each other where the other lacks, but they also share a common ground. I can’t imagine them with anyone else, if I’m being honest.” Hermione said with a smile.

“Hm, yeah, almost like you and Ron,” Astrid smirked.

“What?” Hermione said with wide eyes.

Astrid laughed, “Nothing, Hermione…”

They entered the Great Hall and to their surprise Harry and Ron were already there, eating breakfast. Hermione and Astrid walked over and joined them.

Ron was looking at their schedule, “Today’s not bad… outside all morning. Herbology with the Hufflepuffs and Care of Magical Creatures… damn it, we’re still with the Slytherins…”

“Double Divinations this afternoon,” Harry groaned.

“You should have given it up like me, shouldn’t you?” Hermione said briskly, buttering some toast. “Then you’d be doing something sensible like Arthimancy.”

“You’re eating again, I notice,” Ron said, watching Hermione add jam to her toast.

“I’ve decided there are better ways of making a stand about elf rights,” Hermione said haughtily.

“Yeah… and you were hungry.” Ron added, while grinning.

Herbology went by quickly, but not quick enough seeing as they were all given the task to obtain pus from Bubotubers.

Next was Care of Magical Creatures; if it had not been for their love and loyalty for Hagrid, it was very likely the quartet would no longer be taking that class.

Blast-Ended Skrewts was the new… interesting creature Hagrid had set out for the class.

“On’y jus’ hatched,” Hagrid said proudly, “so yeh’ll be able ter raise ‘em yourselves! Thought we’d make a bit of a project of it!”

“And why would we want to raise them?” said a familiar, cold voice.

Draco leered at the creatures and then at Hagrid; Crabbe and Goyle snickering at his side.

Hagrid looked stumped by the question.

“I mean what do they do?” Malfoy asked. “What is the point of them?”

Hagrid opened his mouth, thinking rather hard and after a few seconds pause, said roughly, “Tha’s next lesson, Malfoy. Yer jus’ feedin’ ‘em today. Now, yeh’ll wan’ ter try ‘em on a few diff’rent things – I’ve never had ‘em before, not sure what they’ll eat – I got ant eggs an’ frog livers an’ a bit o’ grass snake – just try ‘em out with a bit of each.”

“I’ve never heard of these creatures, Hagrid,” Astrid said, leaning over to look and the white, slimy, shell-less looking lobster… thing, “and I’m fairly knowledgeable of magical creatures…”

“Are you?” Hermione said in disbelief.

“Of course,” Astrid said, almost insulted, “how else am I supposed to defend myself if I know nothing about them?”

“Astrid is right, I made ‘em myself!” Hagrid said, quite proudly.

Made them? From what?” Ron asked, taking a step back from the unsightly creatures.

“Ther’ a cross between manticores an’ fire-crabs!” Hagrid, was beaming.

“How did you get a manticore to breed with a fire-crab?” Astrid asked, astonished, but something seemed to click in her head, “oh, you know, actually, I don’t want to know.”

“Ouch!” Dean Thomas yelled. “It got me!”

Hagrid hurried over to him, looking anxious.

“Its end exploded!” Dean said angrily, showing Hagrid his burnt hand.

“Ah, yeah, that can happen when they blast off,” Hagrid said, nodding.

“Eurgh!” Lavender Brown looked very frustrated. “Hagrid, what’s that pointy thing on it?”

“Ah, some of ‘em have got stings,” Hagrid said enthusiastically. “I reckon they’re the males… the females have got sorta sucker things on their bellies… I think they might be ter suck blood.”

“Well, I can certainly see why we’re trying to keep them alive,” Malfoy said sarcastically. “Who wouldn’t want pets that can burn, sting, and bite all at once?”

Astrid was disgusted with herself when she had to actually fight the urge to laugh at Draco’s statement.

“Just because they’re not very pretty, it doesn’t mean they’re not useful,” Hermione snapped. “Dragon blood’s amazingly magical, but you wouldn’t want a dragon for a pet, would you?”

“Actually, yeah, that’d be wicked…” Astrid mumbled.

~~~

“Well, at least the Skrewts are small,” Ron said as they made their way back up to the castle for lunch.

“They are now,” Hermione said in exasperation. “But once Hagrid’s figured out what they eat, I expect they’ll be six feet long.”

“He’s taking another risk by doing this. Hopefully, there won’t be a repeat of last year… as amusing as it was to watch Draco get injured and cry,” Astrid smirked.

They sat down at the Gryffindor table and helped themselves to lamb chops and potatoes. Hermione began to eat so fast the other three stared at her.

“Er – is this the new stand on elf rights?” Ron asked. “You’re going to make yourself puke instead?”

“No,” Hermione said, “I just want to get to the library.”

What?” Ron asked in disbelief. “Hermione – it’s the first day back! We haven’t got any homework yet!”

Hermione shrugged and continued to shovel food down her throat. Then after a few more bites, she leapt to her feet and said, “See you at dinner!” and departed very quickly.

“Do you have any idea at all what might be taking your parents so long to reply?” Harry asked.

An uncomfortable look overcame Astrid’s face, “I don’t even want to think about that.”

After the three had finished eating they heading up to the North Tower where their Divinations class was held.

Their nostrils were instantly met with the sweet perfumes spreading from the fire as they entered the room. Like always, the curtains were closed; the circular room was bathed in dim reddish light cast by the many lamps, which were all draped with scarves and shawls and the three took a table with Neville.

“Good day,” said the misty voice of Professor Trelawney right behind Harry, making him jump.

She was peering down at Harry through her thick, and large glasses, and wore a tragic expression on her face.

“You are preoccupied, my dear,” she said mournfully to Harry and Astrid rolled her eyes. “My inner eye sees past your brave face to the troubled soul within. And I regret to say that your worries are not baseless. I see difficult times ahead for you, alas… most difficult… I fear the thing you dread will indeed come to pass… and perhaps sooner than you think…”

Astrid was tempted to roll her eyes again but was surprised to see Harry’s expression to be stony; as if what she said mattered.

Professor Trelawney swept past them and seated herself in a large winged armchair before the fire, facing the class.

“My dears, it is time for us to consider the stars…” she began.

Astrid, who was seated closest to Harry leaned over his shoulder and whispered, “Harry, are you alright?”

“Hm? Oh, yeah… I’m fine.” He mumbled.

“Oh, very convincing,” Astrid retorted. “Harry, did Trelawney say something you might think actually is of importance?”

Harry was silent for a moment, in thought, and then finally whispered, “’I fear the thing you dread will indeed come to pass…” but then he shook his head, “no, but, I mean… I’m not fearing anything… but… last year… she had that prophecy about Pettigrew…”

“Yeah, alright, we’ll give her credit for that one, but remember she also said you were supposed to die last year, and look, here you are – alive,” Astrid gave him a reassuring pat on the back and he smiled lightly.

“Yeah, you’re right.” Then at the sight of Astrid quickly leaning back and her trying to subtly nod in the direction of Trelawney, Harry turned around to see the whole class staring at him.

“I was saying, my dear, that you were clearly born under the baleful influence of Saturn,” Trelawney said with faint resentment that he had not been paying attention.

“Born under – what, sorry?” Harry said.

“Saturn, my dear, the planet Saturn!” She said, sounding irritated that he wasn’t impressed by this news.

“Uh, professor?” Astrid leaned forward on the table, placing her hands together. “Saturn is usually in a position of power in midwinter, am I correct,” Trelawney said nothing, awaiting for Astrid to continue, “right, see, but Harry was born in July…”

Trelawney blinked several times at this news, and Ron had to hastily turn a laugh into a hacking cough.

She turned around and gathered some charts to hand out to the class.

“See, Harry?” Astrid smirked, “She can be a load of rubbish sometimes.”

At this, Harry grinned and agreed, feeling much better thanks to his friend.

After a couple of hours looking at star charts and recording what stars and planets were in power on their date of births and the meaning of it all, the three of them met up with Hermione on their way to the Great Hall for dinner.

“Lots of homework?” Hermione said brightly. “Professor Vector didn’t give us any at all!”

“Well, good for you.” Ron said bitterly.

They were about to enter the Hall when a loud voice rang out behind them.

“Weasley! Hey, Weasley!”

They all turned. Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle were standing there, each looking thoroughly pleased about something.

“What?” Ron asked shortly.

“Your dad’s in the paper, Weasley!” Malfoy said, brandishing a copy of the Daily Prophet and speaking very loudly so everyone nearby could here. “Listen to this!

Further Mistakes At the Ministry of Magic: It seems as though the Ministry of Magic’s troubles are not yet at an end, writes Rita Skeeter, Special Correspondent. Recently under fire for its poor crowd control at the Quidditch World Cup, and still unable to account for the disappearance of one of its witches, the Ministry was plunged into fresh embarrassment yesterday by the antics of Arnold Weasley, of the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Office.

Malfoy looked up.

“Imagine them not even getting his name right, Weasley. It’s almost as though he’s a complete nonentity, isn’t it?” he crowed.

Everyone in the entrance hall was listening now. Malfoy straightened the paper with a flourish and read on:

Arnold Weasley, who was charged with possession of a flying car two years ago, was yesterday involved in a tussle with several Muggle law-keepers (“policemen”) over a number of highly aggressive dustbins. Mr. Weasley appears to have rushed to the aid of “Mad-Eye” Moody, the ex-Auror who retired from the Ministry when no longer able to tell the difference between a handshake and attempted murder. Unsurprisingly, Mr. Weasley found, upon arrival at Mr. Moody’s heavily guarded house, that Mr. Moody had once again raised a false alarm. Mr. Weasley was forced to modify several memories before he could escape from the policemen, but refused to answer Daily Prophet questions about why he had involved the Ministry in such an undignified and potentially embarrassing scene.

“And there’s a picture, Weasley!” Malfoy said, flipping the paper over and holding it up. “A picture of your parents outside their house – if you can call it a house! Your mother could do with losing a bit of weight, couldn’t she?”

Ron was shaking with fury and everyone was staring at him.

Astrid whipped out her wand and Draco’s smug smile fell from his face and he froze. Crabbe and Goyle looked at Malfoy, gapping not knowing what to do and even all the students around them back away, not wanting to get hit in the crossfires.

“No, Astrid! Don’t! You’ll get in trouble!” Hermione pleaded.

After a moment, Ron spoke, “Yeah… just leave it. He’s not worth it.”

No. I am utterly sick of hearing his nauseating voice all the time. And he’s one to talk about mothers! We all saw her at the Word Cup; she looked as if she’s got dung under her nose – though I reckon it’s because you were with her, Malfoy.” Astrid spat venomously.

“Don’t you dare talk about my mother, Black!”

“Then keep your disgusting mouth shut!” Astrid shot back, putting her wand away and they all turned away.

BANG!

A searing white-hot flash seemed to have grazed Astrid’s cheek and she reached for her wand, but suddenly another loud BANG roared through the hall.

“OH NO YOU DON’T, LADDIE!”

Astrid’s uncle, Professor Moody, was limping down the staircase. His wand was out and it was pointing right at a pure white ferret, which was shivering on the floor, exactly where Malfoy had been standing a moment ago.

Moody got to Astrid and grabbed her chin (a bit roughly) and inspected her cheek which had a cut on it and he scowled.

“I’m alright. I’ve had worse,” She said.

“I’m sure,” he growled. His voice was low and gravelly.

“LEAVE IT!” Moody shouted.

“What?” Astrid asked, bewildered at her uncle’s outburst.

“Not you – him!” Moody growled, jerking his thumb over his shoulder at Crabbe, who had just froze, about to pick up the ferret.

It seemed her uncle’s rolling eye was magical and could see out the back of his head.

Moody turned and started to limp toward Crabbed, Goyle, and the ferret, which gave a terrified squeak and took off, streaking toward the dungeons.

“I don’t think so!” Moody roared, pointing his wand at the ferret again – it flew ten feet into the air, fell with a smack on the floor, and then bounced upward once more.

“I don’t like people who attack when their opponent’s back’s turned,” Moody growled as the ferret bounced higher and higher, squealing in pain. “Stinking, cowardly, scummy thing to do…”

The ferret flew through the air, its legs and tail flailing helplessly.

“Never – do – that – again – “ Moody said, speaking each word as the ferret hit the stone floor and bounced upward again.

“Professor Moody!” said a shocked voice.

Professor McGonagall was coming down the staircase with her arms full of books.

“Hello, Professor McGonagall,” Moody said calmly, still bouncing the ferret.

“What – what are you doing?” McGonagall asked, her eyes following the bouncing ferret.

“Teaching,” Moody said simply.

“Teach – Moody, is that a student?” McGonagall sputtered, dropping her books.

“Yep,” Moody said.

“No!” Professor McGonagall cried and she pulled out her wand; a moment later, with a loud snapping noise, Draco Malfoy had reappeared, lying in a heap on the floor with his blond hair all disheveled over his bright pink face. He got to his feet, wincing.

“Moody, we never use Transfiguration as a form of punishment!” McGonagall shouted. “Surely Professor Dumbledore told you?”

“He might’ve mentioned it, yeah,” Moody mumbled, scratching his chin with little concern.

“We give detentions! Or speak to the offender’s Head of House!”

“I’ll do that next time, then,” Moody said, staring at Malfoy with great dislike.

Malfoy mutter something about “his father” and Moody took a few steps forward.

“Oh yeah? Well, I know your father, boy… you tell him Moody’s keeping a close eye on his son… you tell him that from me… Now, your Head of House’ll be Snape, will it?”

“Yes,” Malfoy said resentfully.

“Another old friend,” Moody growled. “I’ve been looking forward to a chat with old Snape… come on, you…”

He seized Malfoy’s upper arm and marched him off toward the dungeons.

“Don’t talk to me,” Ron said as they sat down at the Gryffindor table.

“Why not?” Hermione asked in surprise.

“Because I want to fix that in my memory forever,” Ron said with closed eyes and an uplifted expression on his face. “Draco Malfoy, that amazing bouncing ferret…”

They all laughed and Hermione began to eat at top speed again.

“Don’t tell me you’re going back to the library again this evening?” Harry asked, watching her.

“Got to,” she said thickly. “Loads to do.”

“But you said you haven’t got any homework-“

“It’s not schoolwork,” she said. Within five minutes, she had cleared her plate and departed.

As soon as she was gone Fred Weasley came over and took her seat, and George, Lee Jordan, and Athena sat across from them.

“Is it true?” Athena asked Astrid. “Uncle Al really turned Draco Malfoy into a ferret?”

Astrid grinned, “Yeah, it was amazing. Well, deserved too. The things he was saying about Mrs. Weasley were unforgivable. Then he attacked when our backs were turned!” Astrid turned her head to show her sister the cut on her cheek.

“Oh! How dare he!” Athena took out her wand and leaned forward, “Episkey,” she said as she traced the cut and watched it heal.

“He is so cool,” Fred stated.

“Beyond cool,” George said.

“Supercool,” Lee added. “We had him this afternoon,” he told them.

“What was it like?” Harry asked eagerly.

“Never had a lesson like it,” Fred said.

“He knows, man,” Lee said.

“Knows what?” Ron asked, leaning forward.

“Knows what it’s like to be out there doing it,” George said impressively.

“Doing what?” Harry asked.

“Fighting the Dark Arts,” Fred said.

“He’s seen it all,” George said.

“Amazing,” Lee said.

Athena rolled her eyes, “Yes, who would have thought, an ex-Auror actually knows about fighting the Dark Arts!”

“It’s so odd to see him here,” Astrid said. “Actually, it’s odd to see him at all! We haven’t seen him in years. Always kept to himself. Mum said he was a bit unstable, and she’d only ever go to see him… But I like him!” Astrid grinned.

Of course you do,” Athena shook her head. “He’s willing to break the rules to get what he wants… why does that sound so familiar…” Athena tilted her head in mocked wonder.

“Yeah, whatever, Mrs. Prim and Proper,” Astrid said snidely.

“What? I am not prim and proper!” Athena said, shocked.

Astrid scoffed, “Yeah, I bet your legs are crossed right now.”

Athena blinked and then glared, “Right, so I’m a snob because I don’t want everyone to see my knickers?”

“I’m just saying, no one could see them either way, so just loosen up and relax,” Astrid said with a shrug and took a bite of her dinner.

“Hey, I like that she keeps her legs crossed so then I’m the only one who is allowed to see them,” Fred said beaming.

“You have not seen them!” Athena shouted, scandalized.

“Not yet,” Fred winked.

Athena’s face turned red and Astrid groaned in disgust.