‹ Prequel: The Temple 1

Polaris 1

Polaris 1

Polaris once was a polar station. It's located in the land of ice and snow, it was an expedition, grown out of proportions. The idea was to have a base here; to study the ice, it had come to be.

First they set up a weather-station, to warn for storms and other bad weather. This worked to expectation.

Then other facilities was set up, for housing, and the like. Later, it became like a little village Everything went well. Cupolas grew up from the ice, for several different reasons.

Green-houses, sun shine pavilions. Then bathhouse, arena and more came up. The structure kept growing. All was well, and great fortune. Population grew, the hospital was set up, then library, administration, and festivity hall. After a few years, digs had started, people had found things in the ice. Long since forgotten eras was uniced.

At first, there was the usual arctic findings. Then other things showed up .. The existence is rather meager, but what the heck. We're all scientists, we're used to this life.

We'd rather be uncomfortable, with too much of luxury. As long as you do not crave heat, every day, it's fine here. We have warmth, as much as can be expected ..

A warm bath in the late night of a Sunday can work wanders, despite the drain on energy reserves, this still payed off. Ok, we had come up with ideas how to save on the bill. We had put up training-bikes, wired to create power, this made it all so much easier. Now we can always ride the bike to the sun, like never before. If someone complained about the lack of warmth in there, he, or she suddenly found him, or herself, in the cold, on a bike.

Another excitement we had, was the digs. We still advertised them on the global arena. Only now we did not release all the interesting details, anymore. Why should we? This generated enough of new good scientists, coming in. Oh, and if we thought we could make use of special fields people? Then we could add this? What little we did not have, and could not get, we had to make up for.

Ok, and the latest find, we had just the other week. We found a well preserved dinosaur. That was sure to stir up some excitement. And amused the most of the population here. Just the other day, as a new dig was started up, we found some most curious bones. There was nothing conclusive, just yet. But it was starting to make things odd? We found equine bones, and what looked like human bones? Though we had only half of what first appeared to be 2 separate skeletons.

I met her at lunch, again, so we had it together. It was rather nice. After we had eaten, I showed her to a place one could get to from the library. This was a rather relaxing place. Calm, a natural place.

There we spent most of the time till class. We did not talk much, just enjoy the place .. and the situation?

Had we known where the station was located, as we planned it, would we still have gone with it? Would we have placed it where it now is located? Who know .. who care. We now have this position, and that's that .. as they say it. It's located at the edge, the end of human territory.

On the far side of the cap, is the Sea of Tranquillity. Where no man may enter .. so it's said, so it's written.

On one side of the path is the Dolphin Sea, on the other is the Sea of Shadows. A frigid, cold and dark place ..

The Sea of Shadows, we stay clear of, we found it too inhospitable. The Sea of Dolphins, on the other hand, is another story, all-together. That Sea is nice and warm, welcoming. Populated by just that, Dolphins.

What did you expect? What else was there to be expected, it's theirs. They claimed it, before the beginning of man. I can only guess, that's all anyone can. But that's why we managed to get here, in the first place. Dolphins are like allies, friends, friendly. Warm, inviting. At every turn, we steered that side of the path. Every danger was avoided, by that choice .. That's how we survived ..

Well, maybe that's how come we have people keep coming? All kinds of whales come this way, they turn to the polar cold freezing waters at certain times of the year, so, here they come. Those who were no scientists, had other specialties ..

This started to become a community, instead of just a base. But .. as it went, no-one was out of work, even though plenty of people came, in stride streams. Despite the cold weather outdoors, even. Then again .. there was after all so much excitement to live through here. Like digging for bones, serving coffee, waiting tables, cleaning rooms, maintaining and building the dome. Everyone did their part, so everyone else could concentrate on theirs. After work, there was plenty of warm food, and good drinks. Museums, Theaters, and Cinemas to see. Bathing and Cafes to visit ..

Then, at the end of the day, a warm bed waited. As it went, there even came musical Concerts .. Schools were set up, education was at a premium ..

Everyone minded their business ..

As the stores were filling up, stuff was sold out, to others outside. Thus aiding the efforts to further the colony. With everything set up, there was little interest of laws. Everyone had work, and needed nothing. Excitement and fun was to be had for free.

01/28/(1.0.2)