Status: Daryl Dixon... a redneck, a little brother, a fighter, a survivor, a hothead, and now a father

Born Into It

Getting Started

Merle awoke from his aching slumber in the hard chair. His back was killing him from last night and not for the same reasons it usually was. He had fallen asleep in the chair around 2:00 while waiting for Daryl to put Dakota to sleep, but the little girl was stubborn.

Merle wondered how long Daryl had stayed up with her as he looked at his watch reading 10:38AM. Merle stood from the chair, the sun from the window stinging his tired eyes. He quickly went to the window and shut the blue curtains so only a sliver of light peeked through.

Merle rubbed his eyes before turning to the bed to take a look at his brother and niece. Daryl laid there on his back in a deep sleep his arms wrapped around Dakota who laid on his chest in the same deep slumber. Her tiny hands were grasped tightly to his sleeveless flannel while she buried her face into his chest. They had his mother's quilt draped over them and looked very peaceful.

Merle watched Daryl's chest rise and fall with Dakota. The two were in unicen, breathing at the same pace. Merle wish he had a camera to capture the moment, but the only one they had was back at the Old Man's cabin. They needed a camera to take pictures of her childhood, thats what people did right?

Merle and Daryl barely had any photos from when they were kids, there was one of Merle holding a newborn baby Daryl when he was eleven, but that was the only one he could remember they lost most of everything in the fire including childhood memories.

Daryl's first footsteps to Merle, Merle teaching Daryl to ride a bike, Merle teaching Daryl to swim in the pond out back, Merle handing Daryl his first cigarette, and Merle giving Daryl his first beer, all those precious memories to Merle were lost and he wanted to make sure his niece didn't lose hers.

Merle quickly went over to the bag full of Dakota's supplies and took inventory of everything. It wasn't enough, Merle knew it. He had helped his mother with Daryl and knew how much Daryl used within a short amount of time. With how much the little girl was already proving to be like his younger brother, Merle knew they needed more stuff.

Merle grabbed his carhart jacket and found the truck keys quickly and silently. He was gonna make a run into town, even if he could only take just a little weight off Daryl's shoulders it would help. Merle placed his hand on the doorknob ready to turn it, but stopped once he heard small cooes come from behind him.

Merle turned to see Dakota lying on Daryl's chest sucking on her fist with her eyes wide open. Once she saw Merle a huge grin spread across her face and she let out a loud cooe before sticking her fist back into her mouth, covering Daryl's shirt with drool.

Merle moved to her quickly and silently not wanting to wake his sleeping brother. He than kneeled beside the bed to be at eye level with his niece and placed a finger over his mouth. "Shhusshh now... you don't want to wake up your old man till I'm gone." Merle whispered to her not wanting to wake his brother.

The little girl only let out a cooing laugh as she stretched one of her tiny arms towards her uncle. Merle took her arm and held it out towards him so he could place a gentle kiss on her small fist. "Be good and wake him up once I'm gone... ya got that squirt?" Merle asked as he stood up, but the only response he got from her was happy babbling and drooling as she returned her fist to her mouth.

"I'll take that as a yes." Merle said as he leaned down and kissed the mop of dark hair sitting on her head. Merle walked to the door and stopped to take one last look at his family. Dakota smiled as she hugged Daryl's chest and reached out to try and grab for his chin.

"Good luck baby brother."

Merle chuckled as he left through the door. Daryl was going to need the luck. Soon as Merle left he knew Dakota would make sure his little brother was up. If she was anything like Daryl, Merle knew that the sucking of the fist meant she was hungry.

It used to be a habit of Daryl's when he was a baby. Merle rembered his mother yelling for him to fix a bottle, because Daryl had begun to suck on his fist. If you didn't get him his bottle in time he'd be a fit of rage. Merle laughed as he walked to the truck recalling the memories of his baby brother and mother. He got in his truck laughing he couldn't wait till he got back to see the aftermath of a Dixon fit.

.........................................

Daryl's eyes began to blink tiredly as he woke. He rubbed the sleep out of his eyes with the back of his hand before he felt something wet on his chin and small hands on his cheeks.

Daryl looked down to see Dakota holding his face gently and sucking on his chin covering him with baby drool. "What the hell?" Daryl said tiredly alerting Dakota that he was awake. The little girl stopped sucking his chin and smiled at him before putting her fist back in her mouth.

Daryl tossed his head back and groaned out a laugh. "Whats up bud?" He asked laying a hand on her back and rubbing it softly as he took his other and rubbed his eyes to try and wake up. Dakota cooed again to gain Daryl's attention.

He moaned as he slowly sat upwards, picking up Dakota and raising her out away from him. He held her high above him as she giggled with her fist still in her mouth. Daryl sat on the bed smiling as he looked up to his baby sucking on her small hand.

"So what do ya want ha? What? Did ya just want ta wake me up?! Or did ya want kisses?!" He said playfully, bringing her down so he could kiss her. She squeeled happily as his whiskers tickled her small chubby cheeks. He laughed at her high pitched squeels.

Daryl started to pull her away but stopped once he felt her soft hands on either side of his face. Dakota than proceeded to place a small kiss on his nose. Daryl flinched at the gesture, but grinned once it was done.

Daryl watched his baby girl smile as her hands began to move around his face, touching his mouth, his nose, his cheeks, his facial hair, even his ears, right before her hands moved to his hair. She seemed fascinated by the dark brown strands hanging from his head, laughing as she pulled the them.

"Okay I think that's enough, squirt." Daryl chuckled as he pulled her away. Soon as the hair had left her hands her fist shot straight back to her toothless mouth. Daryl for the first time took a quick glance at the morning lit room noticing something missing, more like someone.

"So ya gonna tell me where yer uncle went?" Daryl questioned Dakota, but the only response he got was her blue eyes staring back at him in bewilderment. "Shit." Daryl muttered as he clutched Dakota to his chest and stood up.

He quickly walked to the window and opened the curtains with his free arm that wasn't wrapped around the small girl. His eyes scanned the parking lot, but found no signs of their old pick up. "Damnit Merle." Daryl stated as Dakota started to whimper sucking her fist at a more feverish rate.

"Oh come on bud, the morning was going so well... what do ya want huh?" Daryl asked as he rocked her only causing her to become more irritable. "Need changed?" Daryl asked while feeling her bottom for any signs of an accident, but nothing.

"Nope that's not it thank god." Daryl sighed with relief he wasn't too big on changing diapers, but if she didn't need changing than what did she want?

Daryl paced as she whimpered louder, trying to think of a solution. 'What do babies need?' He asked himself in his head. 'Diapers, sleep, and food.' "Bingo!" He snapped his fingers. "Food! Yer hungry ain't ya." He said as he bounced her to try and calm her temper that was building.

"Here give me a sec." Daryl said as he layed Dakota down on the bed making her grow even more angry. He headed to her bag quickly digging through the diapers to find a bottle and formula. At the bottom of the bag he found a bottle already full, with a small note stuck to the side. It read:

BEST OF LUCK ~Love Jenny

A red lip stain was plainly visible just below the signature. "Jenny you bitch." Daryl huffed as he crumbled the note and tossed it to the side. The mother of his child had abandoned their daughter than had the nerve to leave helpful tips and clues, boy did Daryl have a few words to say to her.

"Here kiddo." Daryl said as he scooped up and irritated Dakota. He adjusted her comfortably in one arm than held up the bottle with the other. She quickly accepted it placing both tiny hands on either side of the bottle and taking the nipple into her mouth.

Daryl patted her back and rocked her as she took in the milk happily. Daryl smiled at the fact knowing he had found the solution to her problem. "Ya like that huh? Huh sweetheart? You like that?" He couldn't believe he was standing there baby talking, but hey no one was around so who gave a shit?

............................................................

Merle pulled into the parking lot of the Motel eager to show Daryl all the stuff he bought and to witness his brother after a day alone with a baby. Merle knew Daryl had to be pulling his hair out right about now. There was no way his little brother could keep up with a baby's constant needs.

Merle grabbed the paper bags full of things for his niece, as he stepped out of the truck. He almost skipped to the door, he couldn't wait to have Daryl begging him for help. Daryl was always the independent one, too prideful to ever ask for help or accept it when he got it.

Merle made his way to the room placing his right hand on the door knob and turning it. As he entered the room one thing was for sure... finally Merle was wrong.

Daryl layed on his stomach sprawled out across the bed while Dakota layed on her tummy in front of him laughing. Daryl had his head down and would come up every few seconds to shout 'Bah!', than duck his head back down. Dakota erupted in laughter every time.

Merle stood in the doorway watching his brother act like a child in utter shock. He expected to come in and have Daryl in a straight jacket, but no he was having fun.

Merle watched as Daryl's head popped up, but this time he placed his hands on either side of his baby's head and lightly kissed her on the forehead as she laughed. Merle cleared his throat loudly and slammed the door to gain his brother's attention.

"What's goin on here?" Merle chuckled as Daryl's face went from a smile to angry. "Where the hell you been?" Daryl asked angry and quick to change the subject. Merle seeing him baby talk was not something he was too happy about. Merle would never let him live this down.

Daryl scooped up Dakota into his arms as Merle made his way to the table that sat in front of the window, setting down the sacks. "Went out and bought some shit." Merle said reaching into one of the bags, pulling out a stuffed bear.

"Here got this for squirt." Merle said tossing the bear to Daryl. Daryl caught the bear with his free arm and handed it off to Dakota who took it in an open hug. "Where'd you get the money for all this?" Daryl questioned Merle as he took a seat at the table sitting Dakota in his lap.

"I got means of making money too brother." Merle said proudly as he unloaded the sacks revealing cans of formula, diapers, jumpers, and toys. "Uncle Merle will take care of ya." Merle chuckled rubbing Dakota's head while she chewed on the bear's ear.

"I can take care of my kid." Daryl spat holding Dakota closer to him. He didn't want hand outs, especially from Merle. "Now look, Don't get yer panties in a bunch... just think of all this as a gift, okay? Now mama taught you it's rude ta turn down gifts, so just accept it already will ya." Merle said as he continued to pull out the baby supplies.

Daryl huffed, angry that he couldn't argue with Merle's logic on the matter. Merle always brought their mom into the argument just so Daryl couldn't argue back. To say the least, it annoyed Daryl to no end.

"Ya know we're talk of the town." Merle told Daryl as he continued to empty the sacks. Daryl looked up at his brother. "What the hell?! How does the town know anything?" Daryl asked in an accusing tone towards his brother.

Merle had a big mouth and probably was the one to spread crap even if it was about their family. His brother was like a teenage girl, he loved gossip.

"Hey don't look at me... guess the old man told Jess everything and Jess told the town everything. The whole town's buzzing bout the new bouncing baby Dixon." Merle chuckled. Daryl's eyebrows knitted together in frustration he didn't want his kid being talk of the town.

"So how do you know all of this?" Daryl questioned his brother still not believing that he had no part in the gossip. "Ran into Jess at the store. Said the women at the bar are dying to see her." Merle nodded towards his niece as he popped the top off a bottle of beer that he picked up from the store.

"She could be a good wing man." Merle chuckled as he took a sip from the cool beer. "No way is she going anywhere near a bar." Daryl said as Dakota offered Merle the bear. Merle took the bear with a large grin. "Why thank ya sugar." Merle sat the bear on the table before turning to his brother.

"Now look I don't mean take her to a damn bar, I ain't no idiot." Merle stated taking another sip from his beer. Daryl scoffed at Merle implying that he wasn't an idiot, by Daryl's opinion if you looked up idiot a picture of Merle would come up.

"I'm just saying take her into town, show her off to a few people. It won't hurt noth'n... besides it'll get you some brownie points with the ladies." Merle chuckled shoving Daryl's shoulder roughly.

"I gotta go into town around one ta talk to Russ about some work... I'll take her than, but I ain't using her as no pick up tool. The last thing I need right now is to get laid." Daryl said sternly to make sure Merle understood. "Alright we have a deal." Merle nodded with a sly grin.

Daryl stood with Dakota running his finger through her brown locks. "Here take her." Daryl said while kissing Dakota on the forehead before handing her off to Merle. "I'm gonna go take a shower than we'll run into town. Call Jess, if he wants to see her have him meet us at the yard." Daryl told Merle.

Daryl watched as Merle started bouncing Dakota and making faces at her. "Hey." Daryl snapped his fingers to gain his brothers attention. "Don't do anything stupid." The younger brother said bluntly as he walked to the bathroom.

Merle nodded to his brother and waited until he shut the bathroom door. "Can you believe that?" Merle held Dakota so she was facing him. "Me do something stupid? I'd never." Merle grinned as Dakota laughed in her own cute way and tried reaching out for his face.

....................................

"We need a carseat." Merle said as Daryl pulled into the dusty parking lot of Russell's junkyard. "She can't be sitting on my lap all the damn time." Merle held his niece on his lap while Daryl sat in the driver's seat irritated with his brother.

When Daryl came out of the shower Merle had decided to play with the baby powder. Daryl unexpectant stood in the bathroom doorway with only his pants on as Merle whipped the powder all over his wet hair and chest. The powder clung to him as he stood there and all Merle could do was hold Dakota up cheering and laughing at his accomplishment.

If he hadn't been holding Dakota, Daryl would've tackled him and Merle knew it. He was sly as a fox. Daryl had to take another shower making them late at getting to the yard. Than the whole way to the yard Merle wouldn't stop talking, from his past sex stories all the way to a buck he caught last weekend, you name it.

Daryl found it easier to take care of a baby than his older brother and his growing headache only added to it. Now Merle wanted him to buy a damn carseat. Where in the hell would he get the money for a carseat? Was she even big enough for one? How big of an idiot was he?

"Where the hell do you suppose I put a carseat? Between your fatass and me? I ain't got room." Daryl said as he pulled the key out of the ignition. "Maybe you should get a car and sell the truck." Merle suggested only to be met with Daryl's angry blue eyes.

"Thats by far the most stupid thing I've heard you say all day. I ain't selling my truck, maybe I should just ditch yer ass and make you walk from here on out." Daryl bit back irritatedly. "Now do you just wanna shut up and hold her?" Daryl looked at his brother.

"Whatever." Merle rolled his eyes. "Here you take her." Merle handed Daryl his daughter. Dakota clapping her hands happy to be back in her father's arms. Daryl held her close to him as they stepped out of the truck to make their way to the office.

As they treaded through the parking lot Daryl took note of Jess' rusted chevy pick up along with all the other cars. There were a good dozen parked in front of the yard's main building. The yard was never this packed or busy. Why in the hell were all these cars here?

As they neared the building Daryl could smell barbeque and hear laughter. "What the hell?" He looked at Merle questioningly and Merle let a sly grin escape his lips. "You said don't do anything stupid so I did something genius." Merle smiled than waved a hand issuing Daryl to follow him as he went around the corner of the building.

"Come on, got a surprise for ya." Merle disappeared behind the office and Daryl huffed angrily. "God damnit Merle!" He muttered as he ran his fingers through his baby's hair keeping her as close to him as possible.

Dakota snuggled her face into his chest and yawned slightly. She was about do for a nap. Whatever Merle had planned was definately going to mess with her schedule. He silently cursed at his older brother as he made his way back towards the smells and laughter.

As he turned the corner to the back of the office Daryl was greeted by cheering and hollering. He looked to see Jess and Merle holding beers high in the air, Russ working on the grill in a grease covered shirt. His wife, Eleanor, and his daughter, Scarlett or Scar as people called her, sat at a picnic table together drinking tea. The rest of the crowd only made Daryl angry.

Everyone he could think of, besides his old man, that he didn't want around his daughter, was there. There was Felisha Johns the town whore who had a thing for Daryl, Maddie Madox stoner and meth-head, Mitch Maddie's drug dealing boyfriend, Fiona Carter a past fling of Daryl's in high school, Mia Carter Fiona's sister who Merle had a fling with, and than there were the 'Sons'.

Jake and his crew of drunks and drug dealing bikers stood around already drunk for the night. Everyone cheered for Daryl and Dakota as he stepped forward holding her to his body. The little girl hid her face in his shirt. All of the new and loud people standing around made her uncomfortable.

Daryl rubbed her back for comfort, but all the same time still pissed at Merle. "It's okay baby girl, I got ya." He whispered into her ear and pressed his lips in her thick hair giving her a reassuring kiss.

"To my baby niece!" Merle raised his beer.

"Booyah!" He yelled, the crowd repeated his call. "Booyah!" They all yelled except for Eleanor and Scar who only sat humbly smiling and laughing. Dakota buried her face farther into Daryl's flannel at the sound of yelling.

Daryl continued to rub her back as he watched the crowd come towards them, Jess and Merle at the front. Merle eyed his niece hiding her face as he approached. "What's wrong with the girl?" Merle asked taking a swig from his beer. "Don't know... Maybe she don't like surprises." Daryl glared at Merle as he replied. Merle smiled knowing that look all too well. Daryl was pissed, but couldn't say anything about it.

"Looky there! A mini Daryl!" Jess hooted as she peeked her head out slightly to look at the new people. "I'm yer uncle Jess sugar." Jess waved at Dakota causing her to hide her face again. "Her great uncle..." Daryl smiled slyly. "Yer getting old Jess." Daryl laughed causing Dakota to feel more confident about showing her face.

"Oh shut it boy. You and yer brother are getting up there too." Daryl's uncle said with a light punch to his shoulder. Jess Collins was their father's half brother. The boys never really viewed Jess as an uncle though. He was more like a drinking buddy.

Daryl's attention was drawn away from their laughter as he heard Felisha's familiar voice. "Oh my goodness! Ain't she just the most darling little thang!" Felisha said in her most annoying voice. Dakota glared at the woman as she clung to her father's shirt. Daryl saw the look on Dakota's face and almost started laughing. Like father like Daughter, Dakota found Felisha to be just as annoying as Daryl did.

"May I?" Felisha asked batting her eyelashes and holding her arms out to hold Dakota. Dakota hid her face again, Daryl could sense the irritation coming off his girl. She was definately not a people person. "No you may not." Daryl spat at Felisha holding Dakota close to him and away from Felisha's pink nails and fake tan.

Felisha looked offended and huffed. "Well than who's the mama? She one of us in town?" Felisha asked crossing her arms in bitter jealousy that Daryl hadn't got her knocked up. That was just like Felisha you embarassed her she'd try and embarass you.

Daryl scoffed. "Ha, please. I ain't into no sloppy seconds." Daryl glared at Felisha and her mouth dropped. "Her mama coulda been a model, she's from Atlanta." Daryl said kissing the top of his baby's head.

"Oh who cares who the mama is!" A voice erupted from the group.

Daryl watched as short and sweet Eleanor stepped up with a huge smile. "I just wanna see that precious little sugar." Eleanor said as she moved to Daryl with a huge smile. Daryl smiled as Eleanor reached for Dakota. The little girl didn't like being pulled away from her daddy, but Daryl trusted Eleanor with his life.

She had been nothing, but kind to him his whole life and had always been there ever since his mom died. Felisha shot Daryl an ice cold stare as he let the older woman hold his daughter. Dakota looked towards Daryl desperately wanting to be back in his arms, but once the woman spoke Dakota was all smiles.

"Well aren't you the most precious thing!" Eleanor baby talked Dakota causing the baby to let out her cute high pitched laugh. "You look just like yer daddy! Oh yes you do!" Daryl laughed as she
talked to his girl.

The older woman turned to look at him. "Oh Daryl you did such a fine job. She is gorgeous!" Eleanor praised him.

"Aren't ya?!" Eleanor brought her attention back to the baby tickling her belly sending Dakota into fits of happy laughter causing the whole group to laugh. "You are just gorgeous! My! My! My! Yer daddy's gonna have to keep that bow of his handy, them boys are gonna be everywhere!" Eleanor said to the small girl in her arms.

Daryl chuckled. "Hey we haven't even got out of diapers yet." Daryl smiled before he felt a firm hand on his shoulder. "Trust me boy, you better enjoy it while it last than get that shotgun loaded. Cause trust me it's gonna happen." Russell laughed from beside him looking over at Scar who rolled her eyes.

"If I remember right, Dixon, I had to chase yer scrawny ass away a few times." Russ chuckled shaking Daryl's shoulder causing him to blush and duck his head down.

Daryl and Scarlett were the same age, had been lifelong friends, and in high school they dated for a month right before he dropped out. It was true Russ had chased Daryl out with a shotgun a few times, due to Daryl's late night visits to Scar's room. That was when Daryl had been the wildest, his high school years.

Never home, skipped classes, smoked and drank behind the bleachers, broke school windows, got suspended, everything and more, you name it Daryl did it. Daryl watched as Scarlett ducked her head in equal embarassment. "She is a beauty though Daryl... she's gonna knock em dead." Russ patted him on the back as he nodded towards Dakota.

"Thanks." Daryl nodded his head with a kind smile. "Can I hold her?" Scar's sweet southern voice rang through his ears. She stood there her long light brown hair slightly curled in waves as the wind blew it back. His eyes traveled up her long tan legs that she had always sported. They showed nicely thanks to her daisy dukes and her red heels making them look even longer.

From the curves in her body, to her full chest, to her lush lips, and green eyes, Daryl could begin to tell he was staring to long. "Uhmm yea-yeah." Daryl stuttered to her and she smiled. Daryl watched as she took the baby from her mother and smiled big.

Daryl always had the biggest crush on her ever since they were kids, he didn't know why he dumped her in high school, he was an idiot. Scar was the closest thing Daryl had to a best friend besides Merle and your brother doesn't count. Daryl smiled as he watched Scar talk to Dakota with ease.

He regretted dumping her, but a part of him kept thinking, if he hadn't dumped her Dakota would've never been born. After that he
regretted nothing. Everything that he had done leading up to now he didn't regret, because they're what led to Dakota.
♠ ♠ ♠
So tell me wht you think of this chapter, I wanted to introduce more character's so not a lot happened, but I assure you more will come I just wanted to get in the swing of things.... So please review and I will have the next chapter posted soon :)