Sequel: Rendering Flames
Status: Loading...

Wanderlust

Twenty Two

“What's your story, Hannah?” I asked a few days later, sitting next to Hannah as we took a small break from planting some new crop.

“The usual, some sad story that know one really gives a shit about.” Hannah preferred to be cut off from everyone else, she was practically on her own island away from everything.

“I wanna here it,” I pried with her, knowing her bark was worse than her bite.

“Yeah well,” she sighed, looking over to me, “maybe I don't want your pity.”

“You won't get it,” I promised. “I've heard my share of stories.”

She held a grimace on her face but settled into the ground more. “I'm an orphan, my parents left me in woods one day when I was thirteen. I woke up and they were gone, I don't know if they were captured or if they just left me. Either way, I'm small because I was thirteen and alone. I didn't know how to provide for myself so I was malnourished most of the time since they left me. I eventually toughened up and was alone for a majority of my life before I found this place.”

“Does it bother you that you don't know where they are?” I asked, interested in what had happened to her parents.

“No,” she gruffly brushed off. “I stopped caring a long time ago.”

I looked after her as she got up to start working again. It was something she did if she shared to much or seemed to relax a little to much, she would just walk away. It was a defense mechanism for sure, I respected it though.

I followed after her, continuing the work I had been doing since the early morning. I was done around mid-day, my hands crusted with dirt. I was itching to wash it all off, first walking to find Marcus. He had been eerily distance from me ever since he had learned that Jaden was Kruger's son. He was trying not to hold a prejudice, I know he was. Maybe it was easier for him to not be around him and not allow himself to think of those things.

I spotted him off through the crowd, walking my way to him until I saw Jaden and some unknown older man standing next to them. They all looked standoffish, Marcus trying to calm the man. Jaden stood with a hard stance and the old man was shoving his finger towards him. I picked up my pace walking up to see what it was all about.

“You're housing a traitor, Marcus! Don't believe his lies,” the old man spat, slinging another accusing finger at Jaden.

“Allan, he's not a traitor,” Marcus calmly responded. “What ever you heard isn't true.”

I stopped next to them but distanced myself so I wasn't put in the middle of it. Jaden glance towards me, first ignoring that I was there but quickly looked back and seemed to come to life as he grabbed my upper arm and drag me away. He was angry, I could feel it rolling off him. I hadn't known what I had done, at least not yet.

“Who did you tell?” He seethed and I recoiled a step back at his aggressive tone.

“No one?” I eased carefully.

“Well somehow that old bastard,” he gestured toward the older man, his voice rising at 'old bastard', “found out that I'm the prodigal son of the most hated man. How do explain that?”

“I don't know, Jaden, I've got as good of guess as you do.” I shook my arm from his grasp, “Ease off, will you?”

He seemed to gather that I had not one clue what he was talking about and did ease off a little. “How did he find out?”

“Did you tell anyone else besides who already knows?” I knew that he wouldn't tell just anyone, if anything, he wouldn't have told anyone.

“No,” he tugged at his hair. “This can't get out. You know that I'd be thrown out.”

“That's not going to happen and even if it did, you wouldn't be leaving alone.” I was seeing that Jaden also choice that he had to carry the burden of who his father was alone. He seems to overlook the fact that he has people who wouldn't let him deal with that alone.

I walked back over to Marcus, briefly registering Jaden's slight surprise to my last statement. Marcus was still trying to reason with Allan. Jaden didn't come back and join us fully, lingering behind us as I included myself in the argument.

“I want him gone! Marcus, I'll tell everyone!” Allan was beside himself with panic, Marcus was loosing his grip and seemed to be giving in.

“Allan,” I spoke up, causing him to turned his fiery gaze to me. “That is your name, right?”

“Yes, who are you?” He spat at me, an almost pitiful attempt at seeming livid.

“I'm Dahlia, I'm Marcus's cousin and Jaden's friend.” I started, seeing him already starting to protest that I was connected with him. “I know you're angry, but I'm not so different from him.” I held up my wrist.

“Wha—what is that?” He inched his eyes closer to the scar on my wrist. His voice was trembling from his blood pressure rising.

“That is the scar of my tracker being removed. I knew Kruger personally, although, I don't remember him because I was tortured to forget. I lived in his territory at one point but I was cast out for standing by my cousin,” I paused seeing that he was finally listening instead of arguing back.

“That is my story and I'm sure you have your own but you're forgetting that in some way, everyone's story is connected back to, Kruger. Jaden's just happens to be more unfortunate, something that he can't help. Now you can accept that, just like we all have to accept each other while living in this place or you can start a riot in the only safe place and ruin a good thing, just like the man we all hate.”

Allan stood back, examining me critically. His face was still red, his breath was still heaving with steam. He relented though, digging the wooden cane he hand into the dirt before mumbling something I couldn't understand. “I suppose I overacted, my apologies.”

Allan still seemed peeved at this secret but I graciously smiled anyways. He started walking away and I was satisfied with my dealing, surprised that I had any convincing or persuasive nerve in me.

“Allan!” Marcus piped up, jogging in front of him. “We thank you for your discrepancy but would you mind telling us who you heard this from? This can't get out.”

“I heard two women talking about it this morning by the artillery unit,” Allan shrugged, continuing his way away from us.

Marcus turned, looking to me and Jaden for anyone and the only two women who knew about it were Millie and Mila. Marcus looked at his wits end, I could already see the sentence forming in his head. I knew he didn't want any problems from this, so again, I jumped into action.

“I'll take care of it and we'll be more careful,” I stopped Marcus from saying anything. “It won't happen again.”

“Please, do.” He raised his brow at me, the warning of a strike one signaling to me.

I nodded, going off to seek out Millie and Mila. Jaden hurried after me, keeping quiet as we walked but I could look over and see him itching to say something. “What is it?”

“What's, what?” He swallowed as we slowed to a more suitable walking pace.

“Jaden, I know you well enough to know that if something is bothering you, can't not say something.” I looked to him, his mouth in a tight line.

“It's just,” he seemed to look for the words to say what ever it was he was going to say. “You don't need to do that, alright, Marcus and I had it under control.”

I came to a stop, my hand resting on my hips as for the third time it seemed, reminded Jaden that I was his friend. “Jaden, I was doing what friends do. How long is it going to take you to process that?”

“A month ago, you wouldn't have done that for me. Why are you keen on being a friend now?” It was really bothering him.

“You says I wouldn't have done that? I might of, who knows? And besides, you said it yourself, why not make a few friends?” I started walking backwards, Jaden staying in the spot he was.

“We're friends, Jaden, get over it.” As I turned to walk forward, I could have sworn I saw him smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
I have no idea how this chapter happened. I didn't plan for this necessarily but whatever, this is what happens when I write on this spot. I wanted to do something that showed that Dahlia isn't messing around when she says she's friends with Jaden and that when she becomes a friend with someone, she is fiercely loyal.

I got some comments, thank you so so much! I love them, keep them coming please! I've also received a few messages regarding my story (all were good things) and I just really want people to know how much I appreciate it. It seriously boost's my confidence when writing this story.

Drop a comment! Don't be silent!

It only takes a minute, please don't be shy! Constructive criticism is welcome! Thanks to all the new subscribers! I'll update soonish--probably sometime next week.

Avec l'amour

-Mel