Sequel: Rendering Flames
Status: Loading...

Wanderlust

Eight

It felt like forever before I saw something besides mountains or more land in the distance. I saw buildings, small quaint buildings. I could feel excitement bubbling in my stomach but it dissipated when I saw Millie making sure her gun was loading.

“Did, Constantine, brief you on what to expect?” Millie asked, turning the safety off.

“Yes,” I answered quickly, pulling the gun he had given me from under the seat. I made sure it was loaded and turned the safety off, it suddenly felt heavy in my hands. I watched quietly as the buildings came closer and closer until I could see cars and then, finally, people.

There weren't many but they all seemed to stare as we passed by. Some waved, most narrowed theirs eyes. I didn't wave back at any of the friendly looking people, remembering what Constantine had told me. The buildings were mostly two stories, stacked next to each other in a picturesque small town. The two lane road we were on turned off to the right, giving us the option to keep going straight or take the turn.

Jaden swiftly turned the Jeep to the right, the road narrowing down to a one-way, the pavement severely chipping off into chunks. It was bumpy as we traveled down the road for the fifteen minutes. It then tampered off and became a gravel road, taking a sharp fork. Without missing a beat, the Jeep took a left and before me was a small, old one story house. It had vines growing up around it and the blue paint was peeling off the siding.

The jeep came to stop and I took in the surroundings. We were in the woods for sure, there wasn't any sign of another house near us. I followed suit as Jaden and Millie climbed out, going to grabbed their things. Jay handed me my duffle and I tossed it over my shoulder, catching up with Mila as she swung the door open to the house.

She held her hand up, stopping me, “We have to make sure that we don't have any visitors.” She waved her gun slightly and I nodded, quietly setting my duffle down. My heart raced at the thought of being confronted by something dangerous. I don't know how I would handle it.

Mila and I walked in, the floors creaking under our feet. “Keep your gun lowered and take the two back rooms. I got the front rooms and the others will check the perimeter and the basement.”

I sighed but nodded, giving her some sort of response. I did what I was told and kept my gun at ease, almost wanting to shut my eyes in the suspense that someone could be around the corner. This house looked like one that someone would hide out in.

I entered the first room, it held an old mattress. The walls were bare and the closest door hung open by its hinges. The window had been broken, the birds chirping filled the air around me, making it the only sound I heard besides my footsteps. I stepped up to the closest, it was a walk in and dark. I internally whined as I entered the threshold of the doorway, letting my eyes swift around in the adjusting light. I didn't see anything, so I moved on to the next room.

I stepped back out into the hallway, the last room had its door shut. My hand hovered above the doorknob, gulping down my fear, I swung it open. Holding my breath as my eyes swept the empty room. The room was also bare, this one held nothing. The window was also broken in, vines had slowly crept up the wall. The ceiling was missing some of it's support, the wood from the attic above showing.
I relaxed the hold on my gun, feeling silly for thinking that something would attack me.

I turned, but as I did a loud squawk rang through my ears. A large black bird shot out of the closet and with basic instinct and fright, I raised my gun without thinking at let a shot fire through the air. I instantly regretted it, but was shocked when I saw the bird fall silently to the ground unmoving. Had I actually hit it?

I lowered the gun from my trembling stance and stepped over the bird, peering into the closest and not seeing anything else. I heard footsteps running towards the room and my cheeks flushed embarrassingly. What would they think when they saw that I shot a bird out of fright?

“Dahlia?” I heard Millie call worriedly, running into the room, “Dahlia, wha—,” she cut off. She must have seen the bird.

I stepped out the closest sheepishly, gnawing at the inside of my cheek. “It came out of nowhere..I'm sorry.”

I thought she would be mad but instead she started laughing, “Well, shit, you can shoot!”

I raised my eyebrows in surprise, “No, I can't. That was—I don't know what that was.” Millie was forming a response when she turned towards the sounds of heavy footsteps approaching.

“What happened? Is everything alright?” Jay asked, coming to stop like Millie did and took in the bleeding, dead bird on the ground. “What the hell?”

“I shot the bird on accident,” I mumbled.

She shot the bird,” Millie repeated, still amused.

“Huh, looks like you can point and shoot,” Jay smirked, his hands resting on his hips like he was looking at some prized hog.

I scratched the back of my neck, no longer feeling guilty but ridiculous instead. How they found this amusing, I don't know.

“Is everything alright? What happen—what the hell,” Jaden cursed, reiterating Jay's reaction.

“She shot it, right in the head too,” Millie knelt down next to the bird, “that's impressive, look at it.”

“Christ, it just a goddamn bird!” I spewed irritated, stalking out of the room. I hadn't even released an emotion like that before, it boiled up in me and I felt oddly not regretful about it.

On my way out, I breezed past Mila and Constantine. I was spun around and saw both of them were worried, I sighed.

“Is everything alright?” Constantine asked.

“Yeah, everyone else is in the back room,” I muttered, turning back around to grab my duffle. As I snatched it up and walked back to the room, they were all huddled around the dead bird.

“Where do I put my stuff?” I asked, they all turned at my voice.

“You get first pick, straight shooter,” Constantine teased and my face deadpanned, unamused.

“Thanks,” I quipped, turning back around and settling on a corner in the large open room in the front. It was the only room where the window wasn't broke in and didn't have plants spouting up through the cracks in the wall.
I set out my very few belongings, not hearing Millie walk into the room. I jumped as the sound of her bag hit the floor, whipping around.

Her hand shots up, “Don't shoot!”

I rolled my eyes but let a smile appear, knowing that she was only joking. “How long am I going to be teased about this?”

“Not long, it just funny that you shot a bird,” she shrugged, unzipping her duffle.

“Not that funny,” I mumbled.

Jaden entered the room and his eyes briefly stopped on me as he set up in the opposite corner. I got the feeling that him an Millie always shared this room, that everyone had their designated spots. Once again, Jaden had made me feel like I was intruding.

“Is it alright if I set up here?” I asked quietly.

“Of course, why wouldn't it be,” Millie assured me as she flattened out the comforter she had spread out.

“I just didn't know if this was reserved area or something,” I swallowed tightly.

“No,” she looked over to Jaden, “you're more than welcome here.”

“Okay,” I smiled but was really thinking of what type of relationship is it that Jaden and her shared. It was obvious her look meant something because he swiftly got up and left the room.

“Seriously, if Jaden doesn't want me here, I can find a different spot,” I told her after he had left the room.

“It's fine,” she drawled out, “he's just being difficult.”

“It always seems like he's difficult with me though,” I admitted freely. She stopped making her bed and sighed loudly. She stared at me for a minute before muttering under her breath and coming over to me.

“Don't take it personally, he's always been difficult, has all his life. Besides, if it makes you feel any better, he doesn't hate you. If he did, you would have been gone by now,” she patted me on my shoulder and returned to her bed area.

I looked confusedly at her, “You've known Jaden his whole life? Is that why he so different around you?”

Millie laughed, “He's my brother, you'd think I'd know him his whole life.”

My smiled faded, “Brother?” I creased my eyebrows together, “That makes so much sense.” I felt like an idiot for not noticing it.

“I can't imagine how confused you must have been. If I wasn't his sister, I wouldn't get away with half the shit I pull on him,” she laughed a little harder.

“I've always wondered why he's favored you over everyone else.” I was still wrapping my around my head that they were brother and sister, I don't know how I didn't figure it out before.

“Please, his favorite is Jay,” Millie scoffed, “I embarrass him to much to be the favorite.”

“Yeah,” I chuckled, “he looked pretty embarrassed when he almost caught himself on fire.”

“Caught himself on fire?” Millie cocked her head confused.

“This morning,” I titled my head to the side, “remember?”

Her eyes widened in recognition, “Oh, yeah! He's was really embarrassed,” she laughed nervously.

I sat down on my bed and pursed my lips, deciding if I wanted to call her out on lying. I knew Millie well enough to know that she was lying. “Are you lying about this morning, Millie?”

I saw her swallow hard, “Yes.”

My faced flickered alive, “Why?”

Her lips tightened into a straight line, “Jaden would kill me if I told you. I want to, trust me, I really want to tell you but I can't, Dahlia. I'm sorry.”

“That's fine, it's no big deal you were just obviously lying about it. It was bothering me,” I admitted, letting my thought run free.

“Yeah, I'm not the best liar,” she shrugged.

As she finished the sentence, Jaden walked back in the room, rooting around his things until he found his gun.

“Millie?” He asked expecting of her, loading his gun.

“I don't want to go, Jaden. I'm tired,” she complained, not making a move to get up.

He rolled his eyes, “Everyone is tired.”

Millie narrowed her eyes for a second, I could see the wheels in her head turning. “Take, Dahlia, into town. She's not tired and it'd be good for her to get out for experience.”

My face paled at the thought of having to actually talk and interact with Jaden. I knew Millie told me otherwise, but I could tell he wasn't fond of me. “No, I'm tired.”

“Oh come on,” Millie raised her eyebrows at me, “it'll be fun.”

I shook my head and looked down at my feet, “Right.”

“It's fine, I can go myself,” Jaden said quickly, throwing a dark jacket on.

“No, you know the rules,” Millie scolded to her brother. He gave her a displeased look.

“I'm fine on my own,” he reminded confidently.

“That's what they all say,” she sighed, flinging herself down to her pillow.

“Who is, all, exactly?” Jaden mocked but Millie gave him a stern look. I looked between then, watching the silent argument between them until Jaden grunted unhappily.

“Come on, Dahlia,” he muttered walking out the front door.

I gawked at Millie, “Absolutely not, Millie.”

“He won't bite,” she waved off, “I would get out there before he gets moody though.”

“As if he's not already?” I squeaked quietly, shoving my shoes on and grabbing my gun. Millie gave me a satisfied waved goodbye as I went to meet, Jaden, wondering how this was going to turn out.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wasn't planning on updating today but I did, so here you go!

The next chapter is a personal challenge for me, trying to figure out how the dynamic between Dahlia and Jaden is going to be. So basically, the chapter will take a while. I mean do I want him to bring out a side to her that speaks up and stands up for herself or do I want to keep her quiet and ignore his personality.

I don't know but I'm excited!

Drop a Comment! I know I have more subscribers than I do comments, don't be shy!

Thanks for the new comment and subscribers! You're all lovely and make my day!

Avec l'amour

-Mel