Finding Out the Only Thing Left to Lose Is Time

Surprise

I got home from the park and fed the dog. I felt really bad because I was a bit late back having talked to Austin for so long.
I hope he texts, we got on really well and it would be great to see him again.

I got distracted thinking about him before suddenly my phone started ringing.
It was Sophie phoning, we chitchatted for a while. I told her about Austin and she immediately jumped to conclusions, becoming the Spanish Inquisition on our “relationship”! However, then she got down to the matter at hand…
“Aaron phoned and told me he was in the area and wanted to hang. So I thought we could get together tonight. Is that ok?”
“Yeah, that would be great. I’d love to meet your cousin!”
“Awh thanks! You’re the best! So I’ll be round soon. Be ready and look good! We’ll go somewhere fancy”

With this in mind, I began to get ready.
I decided to wear my new black sparkly dress, it was quite short with the hem was just above my knees. I fell in love with it last week and was glad for the opportunity to wear it.
Just as I was finishing off getting ready, my phone sang on the side…

Hey Maaaybelle. What ya doin’? – Austin

I read the iMessage smiling, I was really happy he had text. I was debating what to reply, but settled on…

Nothing, just getting ready to go out ;P

I send it with an image of me as I knew I looked good in this dress and because I liked the boy and was trying to impress him, it seemed worth a shot.
Having sent the image and finished off completing my look, Sophie arrived and we headed out. For the entire journey, I was checking my phone hoping for a reply. I was disappointed not to find anything however I decided I was going to enjoy my night and not let it get to me.

We arrived and I heard rock music which improved my mood. We walked through the door and immediately there were shouts of “Surprise!” Sophie had arranged a surprise birthday party for me. She is the greatest best friend ever!

Sophie was excited to see her cousin, Aaron, and immediately introduced me to him. Just as we finished our introduction, someone else joined the small group we were part of. I turned around, so as to see this new addition, only to be greeted with none other than Austin!

'Maybelle! You're the birthday girl?!’ He enquired at once.

‘You two know each other?’ Sophie immediately had her suspicions about who he was. She grabbed him and pulled him towards me. ‘Oh! This is interesting!’

Austin seemed a little confused and asked ‘Why didn’t you say it was your birthday?’

I decided to answer by taking his drink out of his hand, winking and giggling, ‘Thanks, and because I never usually celebrate my birthday, that’s why.’ As I took a sip of his drink, he drew in a shocked breath which was obvious fake so I knew he didn’t really mind. I handed the glass back to him, a lot lighter than before, and wiped my lip gloss to ensure no smudging. Whilst doing so, I caught Austin staring at my lips, which gave me the confidence to dance with him.
I asked ‘You wanna dance?’ but I didn’t wait for an answer and instead just grabbed his hand to pull him over to the dance floor. He merely chuckled and left his drink on a random table.

We danced for a while; I was having a great time and enjoying being with Austin, even if he wasn’t the best dancer. His being there more than made up for his lack of reply earlier.

After a few songs, Joe, my friend, came and asked me for a dance, having agreed I left Austin and danced with Joe. Every once in a while, I would see Austin and he seemed to be looking my way. Whenever I saw him, it made me smile.

In the middle of our second song together, Joe said
“May, you realise that that guy who you were dancing with first has been starring at you the whole time. Whats the deal?”
“Really? Is he? And the deal? Well there isn’t one. I met him earlier and it turns out he is in Sophie’s cousin’s band.”
“Oh so it’s like that. You like him but you don’t know him well enough yet. Well May, I say go for it. He is pretty fine looking, though not as good as me, obviously.” He said laughing which caused me to join in.

Having swapped dancing partner a couple of times, someone requested the new Sleeping With Sirens song, Low, which is one of my favourite songs by one of my favourite bands. I carried on dancing and began to sing as well, definitely my favourite song of the night.

When the song finished, I decided to go and find a drink, however I noticed Austin leaving. I couldn’t just let him leave so decided to talk to him first,

“Leaving, Carlile?”

He smiled and nodded, “Yeah, gotta get some rest; I haven’t slept since the plane.”

I wasn’t happy with this turn of event, yet I tried to hide my emotions and instead I asked “Will I see you again? Soon perhaps?”

He grinned at me and replied whilst pulling me into a hug “Belle, you have my number. Text me.’ With that he kissed the top of my head, said Happy Birthday again and left. I watched him go.

Belle. He’d called me Belle, I hadn’t been called that for a long time. I decided to follow his instructions and text him,

Nobody has called me Belle, since my Gran. Goodnight Austin, get back safe x