Death Is Closing In and Catching Up

Party Time

A few hours later there was a knock at the door signalling that the first of the party guests were there. Harley looked over at her mother who was busy putting the finishing touches on the cake, and then at the door as the bell rang.

"Sweetie can you get that?" Mrs. Carter asked.
The young girl nodded and ran off to the door. She opened it to reveal her best friend since first grade, Nicole Ribbon. They had always been good friends since the day they had met. Harley moved aside and let her best friend's mom in as she went into the kitchen to find her mother.

"Want to head up to my room?" Harley asked as the two orlder women had started a conversation in the other room. Nicole nodded and started up the stairs. They hurridly ran up the stairs and turned into the first room on the right. They quickly walked in and shut the door.

"So what do you want to do?" Harley asked as she jumped onto her canopy day bed. She pulled back the red currents so she could see her friend standing there.

"We could play with your beanie babies and listen to music," her friend suggested. Harley might of been a punk, but she had a soft spot for stuffed animals. Anyone she met soon found this out.

"Okay," the oldest, by two months, said nodding as she went over and turned on her radio to a local station. Nicole had went into her friends closet and pulled out a huge tub of beanie babies. She dumped them out and searched through the pile and picked out her favorite Doberman named 'Surge'. Harley literally dived into the pile of animals and went searching through it, all the while flinging the ones she didn't want across the room until she found the other Doberman named 'Courage'. Upon finding it she cradled it in her arms and mumbled 'I love yous' to it. Her actions had made her friend laugh, as she went searching through the pile for another animal. She reached out for a brown dog only to get a protest from Harley.

"No! I want Muddy!" she shouted as she grabbed the brown lab and cradled it in her arms, along with Courage.

"Fine then I get to pick two," Nicole said grabbing two other animals.

* * *
In about ten minutes the beanies were divided between the two girls. While Harley was making part of her 'Beanie World' something on the radio caught her attention.

"Here is Green Day, with their latest hit Good Riddance," the announcer said before the first few notes of the song began to fill the room. She stopped her actions and listened to the song intently. The door to her room opened and her mother walked in. The older woman stopped in her tracks and listened to the music. The voice penetraited through her mind and she remembered spending time with the band that was playing on the radio. Images of the man she loved filled her mind. She remembered how well he could play the drums as well as the guitar.

"Tre," she whispered as a tear came to her eyes.

"Mommy are you okay?" Harley asked as she got up from her spot and walked over to her mother.

"Yeah sweetie. Your cousins are downstairs," she said before leaving the room.

Harley got up and ushered for her friend to follow as she rushed down the steps. She knew when her mother said 'cousins' her favorite aunt and uncle would be there. She rushed down the steps to find her Uncle Gary and Aunt Barbara standing in the door way with a gift bag. She bounded into her uncle's arms as he picked her up. She kissed his cheek that was covered in his scragly beard.

"How's my favorite neice?" he asked setting the young girl down.

"I'm good. Whaddya bring me?" she asked reaching for the bag.

"Not now sweetie. Wait until we eat the cake," her aunt said sweetly. There was a noise behind Harley as her cousin came bolting over and hugged her tightly.

"Kathy! Stop it, that hurt!" she shouted through a fit of giggles. Nicole had came down the steps and was laughing also. Kathy got off her cousin and walked into the kitchen where the smell of food was filling the room, gigglng to herself. The family walked in as they sat down for dinner.
* * *
The party was over, every one had went home well over a few hours ago. Harley sat on her bed, cuddling her new edition to her stuffed animals. It was a hand crafted Rotweiler made in Japan. She had named it Cainine since that was written on the collar. Well technically it said Canine Classics, but she took of the 'Classics' part.

"Sweetie get ready for bed. You have school tomorrow," her mother said walking into the room. The young girl set the stuffed animal on the bed and went searching through her drawers. She pulled out a pair of pajamas and slipped them on. She then ran for the bathroom to brush her teeth. She quickly brushed them and walked back into her bedroom. She laid down on her bed. Her mother swiftly tucked her in and kissed her forehead.

"I think I should tell you who your father is before it's too late," the older woman whispered. Her daughter looked up at her with a confused look.

"He was in the band you were listening to, earlier. You know. Green Day?" she continued.

The young girl nodded. "Well he's the drummer in that band. His name if Frank Wright III also known as the infamous Tre Cool."

"Mommy, what was daddy like?" Harley asked meekly.

"You're father a was sweet and funny man. When you were down he always found a way to cheer you up. He never really was a serious person, but at times he could be. You are so much like your father. You have his eyes and you have his beautiful, brown hair when it's not dyed green or any other color. You also inherited his funny antics."

"Can I dye my hair green?"

"Maybe when you're older."

"I am older. A whole year to be exact."

"Maybe when you're ten."

"Okay, I'm holding you to that," Harley said pointing her index finger at her mother.

"Alright, well good night," her mother said before kissing her daughter's temple. She stood up from the bed and walked over to the door. She smiled has her daughter's eyes closed and she drifted off into dream world. She turned out the lights and closed the door before walking down the hallway to her room. She walked over to a dresser and pulled out a scrap of paper. She grabbed her phone and began to dial the numbers.

"Please, be the right one. Please." she muttered as the phone rang. Soon some one picked up on the other line.

"Hello?" asked a male voice.

"Tre?" she asked.

"Um, yeah. Who's calling?"

"It's Sandra."

"Sandra? Oh my mother fucking God."