Death Is Closing In and Catching Up

Death Is Closing In

June 30, 2000

I am almost eight now. Even though it isn't my birthday, I got a huge surprise. The surprise was the arrival of my dad, Tre Cool. He and the rest of Green Day showed up a few months before my birthday to see my mother and I while she was well enough to stay out of the hospital. Everything was going great. Dad decided to stay until my mother got better, or until he and the gang had to start making their new album. Everyone-Uncle Billie, Uncle Mike, Dad and I- spent a lot of time together. I got to know them really well and I was happy they were now in my life. They told me of their families back in California and of their childhood, so I could really get to know them. They were sweet guys. Our schedules were busy between putt-putt games, shopping; which was Uncle Billie's favorite past time, playing cards and just generally hanging out. Like I said, everything was great.


"Wake up, kiddo. Time to get ready for school," Mike's booming voice said, shattering the silence that filled Harley's room. The eight year old groaned and rolled over onto her other side before opening an eye lazily and staring at the alarm clock.

"Uncle Mike, it's only 6:00," she said whining. "Just thirty more minutes." Mike looked at her and raised an eyebrow before shaking his head and smiling. He walked over and tore off her blankets causing the young girl to groan in protest. Harley sat up straight and glared at her 'uncle' before getting out of bed and storming out of her room.

"Mom! Dad! Why'd you let him wake me up this early!?" she shouted as she walked down the hall, passing a very confused Billie. The bassist bit his lip as he followed her towards her mother's room, still shouting their names. He watched as she walked into the empty bedroom and stood still, trying to figure out where her parents were.

"They're at the hospital," he muttered. His heart broke as Harley turned around and looked at him in disbelief.

"What?" she asked, trying to keep her voice from shaking.
"You're mother's fever got worse. It was up to 104 degrees. We called an ambulance last night while you were sleeping. We didn't want to wake you up and tell you," Billie muttered as he walked into the room.

"Why? She's my mommy and I need to know these things!" Harley shouted as tears started streaming down her cheeks. She couldn't stop the continuous flow of tears as she sprinted downstairs, calling out for her mother and father. What her 'uncles' had said couldn't have been true. Her mother was getting better. It was just a slight fever. She choked back a sob when she noticed the house was empty of her mother and father. Slowly she turned on her heel and ran towards Billie who had walked into the living room.

"She was getting better," she sobbed.
"Shhh. I know it's hard, Harley. Trust me I do. But, you have to get through this and go to school, and then later I'll take you to see your mom," Billie said as he pulled away from the little girl and knelt down. He wiped away a few tears and gave her a small peck on the cheek. Harley nodded her head and wrapped her arms around his neck before crying into his shoulder. The guitarist picked her up and carried her up the stairs. For a child her age and height she was very light weight. He walked passed the bassist and gave him a weak smile as he climbed up the stairs. He walked into Harley's room and placed her down on the bed.

"Get ready, okay? I'll take you to school," he said before walking outside the confines of her room and shutting the door. He sighed and ran a hand down his face. He slowly walked down the stairs and grabbed the keys to the rental car he and the rest of the band were to use during their stay. He flopped down into a kitchen chair next to Mike and rested his head on the table.

"What's up with you?" the bassist asked as he looked over at his friend.
"It's like I'm reliving it, Mike. I can't take this," the guitarist muttered.
"What do you mean?"

"It reminds me of him. Of what he went through. Of what I went through."
"Oh, right. It's practically the same. Except she has a different type of cancer," Mike whispered, patting his friend on the back. "Bill, you can't break down. She looks up to you the most out of us, not counting Tre. If you break, she'll soon follow. Be strong for her, for your niece."

Billie nodded and looked up at the sound of footsteps pattering across the linoleum floor. He looked at her and smiled. She was so adorable in her school jumper. Her mother had enrolled her in a Catholic school where the younger girls had to wear a plaid jumper with a white button up blouse underneath it.
"Can I have breakfast before we go, Uncle Billie?" Harley asked as she looked up at him.

"Yeah. What do you want kiddo?" he asked.
"Just cereal, please."
"Cereal it is," he said smiling as he got up and walked over to the cereal cabinet. Upon opening it up he grabbed the Reese Puffs cereal box and a bowl. He poured the cereal in and got a jug of milk out of the refrigerator and added it to the dry cereal. He grabbed the bowl and walked over to the table and set it down before placing the milk back in the refrigerator. Harley walked over and got a spoon before taking a seat and quietly eating her breakfast.

"Adie and the boys might be coming up in a few days. They wanted to see you," Billie said as he watched her eat.

"Didn't she say something about trying to bring Hero down, too? That is, if she comes." Mike asked.
"Yeah, I haven't talked to her lately, but she said she'd try and get her from Ana."
"Ana's your wife, right?" Harley asked, looking up from her cereal to Mike.
"Ex wife," he corrected her.

"Oh," she whispered before continuing to eat. Once she was finished she slipped away from the table quietly and put on her vans before grabbing her back pack and walking out to the rental car, not even telling Billie she was ready. The guitarist sighed and got up before leaving the house to drive her to school.

---*---

The day at school passed by in quickly. Before Harley knew it she was walking out of the school building and towards the rows of cars. She didn't even notice her friends running behind her until Nicole grabbed her arm and pulled her back. Out of surprise, Harley spun around and jerked her arm out of Nicole's grasp.
"Jeeze, spazzy much?" Nicole asked.

"Sorry, I gotta go," Harley said trying to get away quickly. Her attempts were in vein though. Her friends stopped her again and turned her around to look at them.
"Why are you avoiding us?" the tallest one asked.

"Look, Morgan. I have to go," Harley muttered, not making eye contact.
"You haven't said a word to us all day," Nicole said, keeping a hand firmly grasped on Harley's arm.
"Please, let me go."
"Not until you tell us what's going on," Morgan said stubbornly.

"My mom is in the hospital again! There you happy!?" Harley shouted before wrenching out of Nicole's grip and running down the parking lot. She sprinted out of the parking lot despite the disapproval of the teachers. She heard her name being called out as she ran down the sidewalk, not exactly having a destination. She ran into an empty alley that was a good five blocks away from the building and continued to run away from the place she hated most. Not seeing the crack in the street she tripped and was sent hurtling to the hard concrete; scraping her knees and hands along with managing to tear her jumper. She let out a cry of anguish and pain as the contents in her back pack spilt out across the pavement. The tears she tried so desperately to hold back started to fall. Instead of getting up and dusting herself off, Harley chose to lay there in a ball and cry.

"Shit," Billie muttered. From his car he saw Harley leave the premisis of the school grounds. He honked his horn, trying to get the traffic director to let him out of the line. She just told him to stay and let other cars out. Not wanting to wait, he opened his door and slammed it shut before shouting his neice's name. He swerved through the cars following her when he was stopped by a heavy set woman.

"Excuse me sir. You can't leave your car like that. Please go back to it," the woman said.
"I have to catch Harley," he spat out.
"You're not allowed to leave your car," the woman said again.
"Let me go find my neice!" Billie shouted out of frustration.
"I'm sorry, sir. But you must go back to your-"

"Look lady. I'm supposed to be taking Harley to see her mother in the hospital. I need to get her. Now let me go!" he shouted, trying not to cuss since there were little kids around, as he pushed past her and out of the school grounds. He shouted the young girl's name a few more times before coming to a halt. He pulled out his cell phone and called the only number that came to mind.
"Please pick up," he muttered as the phone began to ring. On the sixth ring some one picked up on the other line.

"Hello?" asked a man's voice.
"Mike? I lost her. I lost Harley," Billie said trying to catch his breath. Smoking had taken its toll on him. He was easily winded now a days.
"What? How do you loose an eight year old?" Mike asked, panic rising in his voice.
"Two girls wouldn't leave her alone and then she took off running," the guitarist said as he continued walking. He looked down every alley, every road, as Mike continued scolding him. As he neared the alley at the fifth block he heard a muffled cry.

"Mike, shush. I gotta go," Billie said as he snapped his phone shut and placed it in his pocket. He slowly walked into the alley way and froze. He stared at a plaid crying heap.

"Harley? Sweetie. Are you okay?" he asked as he walked over to the little girl. Harley looked up at him and choked back a sob. She shook her head and sat up as she looked at her hands and knees which were covered in scrapes and bruises.
"Oh, Harley. Come here," Billie said as he reached out for her. Harley flung herself into Billie's arms as she started to cry.

"I wanna see my mommy," she sobbed.

"Let's go home and get you cleaned up first. Grab your back pack, okay?"
Harley nodded as she crawled across the concrete to her back pack. She grabbed the rest of her books and shoved them in roughly before standing up and limping over to Billie. The guitarist grabbed her hand and walked her back to the school and into the car. Upon making sure she was securely in the car, he left for her home.