Death Is Closing In and Catching Up

Memories Seep Through His Veins

Her light is fading, just like his did. She's leaving her, just like he left me. Same situation, different diagnoses. How am I supposed to be strong for her when I barely made it through myself? How am I going to be her rock when it's like reliving his death? If there is a God, he'd spare this little girl from going through the same things I went through. If there is a God there wouldn't be a disease called cancer. There wouldn't be any diseases at all. What did we ever do to deserve this? Who ever is up there, please answer me.

Billie slowly walked Harley down the empty, white corridors towards room 109 of the Christ Hospital. He felt her small hand reach up and grab his as they walked closer to the room. He looked down at her a flashed her a smile before knocking on the oak wood door. He slowly opened the door and stepped inside and glanced down at Harley, the sound of beeping monitors filled their ears. Their gazes met and he gave her hand a reassuring squeeze causing her to pull away. She stared at her bandaged hand and then looked back up at Billie.
"I'm sorry sweetie," he whispered as he led her over to Tre who was sitting in a chair, sleeping. Harley let go of the guitarist's hand and walked over to the drummer, placing a small hand on his knee. The slight touch caused the Tre to open an eye lazily and stare at whoever was touching him. Once his eyes adjusted he realized the bandaged hand on his knee belonged to Harley.

"Sweet Heart, what happened to your hands?" he asked as he hoisted Harley up on his lap and grabbed a hold of both of her hands lightly.
"I fell. Uncle Billie bandaged them for me," Harley whispered as she looked over to Billie. Before she could fix her gaze on her uncle her eyes drifted over to the sleeping form of her mother in the hospital bed. Her breath hitched in her throat as she quickly averted her gaze to Tre. He gave her a small smile as he looked over at Sandra and then to Billie. Billie stared back at Tre and Harley, but it was like he staring straight through them. His eyes had a sort of a far off look in them, like he was there physically, but not mentally. A knock on the door brought Billie out of his trance as he walked over and opened it to reveal Harley's Aunt Amy and Uncle Eddie from her mom's side.
"Hey, Harley. Tre, Billie," Eddie said as he walked past Billie.
"Hey, Uncle Eddie," Harley said in a hushed whisper as Amy walked up next to her husband. She had completely ignored the other two adults in the room besides her husband. According to Amy, Tre and Billie didn't even exist.
"Hey Harley, come over here and give me a hug," Amy said as she crouched down. Harley looked back at Tre and then at Amy. She slowly climbed off Tre's lap and walked over to her aunt before hesitantly giving her a hug. Amy pulled away from Harley and held her out at arms length looking her over. She noticed the bandaged hands and turned to stare accusingly at Tre.
"What happened to her?" she demanded.
"She fell," Tre whispered scratching the back of his head.
"Fell? How'd you fall sweetie? Was he the reason why you fell?" she asked nodding towards Tre.
"Don't go pointing the blame on him, Amy. He was here the whole time. Mike and I were watching her," Billie said standing up and staring daggers at her.
"Then it's your fault she's hurt. I bet you're not a good father if you can't even take care of this little girl," Amy said. Billie's eyes widened as his mouth fell agape. He quickly closed his mouth, pursing his lips and narrowing his eyes. Before he could say anything Tre stood up and walked in front of Billie.
"Now what gives you the right to talk to us like that? We haven't done a thing to you and you already hate us. That isn't right," he spat out. Harley jerked away from Amy and walked over to Tre, wrapping her arms around his waist and just staring up at him. The drummer looked down at her and placed a hand on her head, ruffling her auburn hair a bit. He looked back at Billie and nodded towards the door.
"By the time I get back I want you gone," he muttered to Amy before walking towards the door with Harley attached to his hip and Billie right behind him.
"You have no say in this! She's my sister I can stay as long as I want!" Amy shouted after him. Her words didn't even reach Tre fully since he was halfway down the hall. The small group walked towards the lobby, before entering the large room Harley turned to the left and slowly walked down the stairs towards the cafeteria. Billie and Tre looked at eachother momentarilly before following after her.

"Hey! Wait up!" a voice called after them. They turned to find the bassist jogging over to them.
"You kinda left me," Mike said trying to catch his breath.
"You were in the shower. Harley didn't want to wait for you," Billie said as he continued walking down the stairs.
"Speaking of Harley. Where is she?" Mike asked as he followed them.
"Halfway to the cafeteria," Tre said. The bassist nodded and looked around, he smiled once he spoted her leaning against the wall near the Wendy's the hospital had in its cafeteria. For the past few days, all she ate was frosties, nothing else. She noticed her family and walked into the opening of the restaurant and into the line. Green Day quickly caught up with her and waited for the line to move. Tre placed his hands on Harley's shoulders and gave them a gentle squeeze. He looked down at her and smiled at how much she looked like him. The line moved forward and before they knew it they were in the front ordering their food.
"I want a frosty," Harley whispered as she looked up at Tre. The drummer nodded as he ordered their food before paying and taking the tray over to a booth big enough for the four of them.
"Why'd you get me chicken nuggets? I only wanted a frosty," Harley asked as Tre set her food down in front of her.
"Because. You can't just eat frosties. It isn't healthy," Tre said as he took a bite out of his fries.
"But I don't like their chicken nuggets," Harley complained as she reluctantly took a bite out of her chicken. Tre smiled and shook his head as the rest of Green Day sat down at the booth. They engaged in a little conversation, mostly about what happened at Harley's school, why she ran away. Harley just rolled her eyes at what her dad and Billie were scolding her about. She didn't quite know what they had been saying, she hadn't been really paying attention. She averted her attention to the people walking in out of the eating area, hoping one of those families would be her cousins. She sighed and turned her attention back to Billie and Tre.
"Were you listening?" Billie asked. Harley shook her head and smiled. Billie chuckled at how much her smile reminded him of Tre's. In fact everything about her reminded him of Tre; the way she looked and definatly, her personality. He sighed and continued to eat is food, not even pushing the matter of her attempt to run away any further.

Green Day, including the littlest member, finished eating quickly and made their way back towards Sandra's hospital room to find that Amy had actually left and that Sandra was awake and eating what the hospital gave her. She looked up and smiled at the company.
"Mommy," Harley exclaimed happily as she ran past the three guys and climbed up onto the bed.
"Be careful, Harley. Your mom probably isn't ready to be smothered," Tre said as he sat down in a chair, scooting it over to the hospital bed. He watched as mother and daughter exchanged hugs and kisses causing him to smile. His smile wavered when his ex girlfriend turned to look at him. He realized how drained she looked, how weak she actually was.
"Amy told me you threatened her," the thirty-six year old woman said weakly. Billie cringed at the mention of Amy's name. What she had said came back into his mind. The words played over and over. I bet you're a bad father. her haunting voice screamed in his head. Staring at the wall, just above Sandra's head, he sat down in a chair that had been positioned behind him. A quiet sigh escaped his lips as he looked down at his hands. Harley heard his sigh and turned to look at her uncle. She knew that her Uncle Billie only sighed when he was frustrated, depressed, or maybe a mixture of the two. She climbed off the bed andslowly walked over to him before tapping him on the shoulder. The guitarist looked up at her and gave her a weak smile. Harley smiled back before wrapping her arms around his shoulders and whispering a few words in his ear.
"Don't be upset. Be happy," she whispered before kissing his cheek. The guitarist smiled and wrapped his arms around her small frame. He kissed her cheek causing the young girl to giggle. He turned his attention to the door when it opened. One of the nurses that cared for Sandra stepped into the room, a clip board in her arms.
"I'm sorry for breaking up the reunion, but visiting hours are over," she said with a smile. The nurse walked over to Sandra's bed to do her nightly rounds as Tre and the others left the room.
"Why are they always so happy?" Harley asked, referring to the nurse.
"I don't know. They're always like that. Trust me," Billie said shrugging. Tre and Mike nodded their heads at what Billie had said and walked towards the front entrance.
"Well, they're weird then. No one is always that happy," Harley said as she reached out and grabbed the drummer's hand. He smiled down at her as the Green Day gang left the hospital and returned to Harley's Ohio home.