Death Is Closing In and Catching Up

Little Schemes and Shredded Dreams

It's that time. The dreaded time. Why do they have to leave. It's just a dumb cd. I'm sure their fans will understand they have to stay. It's not like they're going to quit liking Green Day because the lousy release date was pushed back. I don't want to be alone again. They're all I got and now they're deserting me too. Ugh, this always happens. Mommy's leaving me and now they are.

Harley slowly climbed out of bed and stretched. She walked over to her dresser and pulled out clean clothes before undressing and pulling them on. She ran her fingers through her thick auburn hair and yawned before sluggishly walking out of her room. As she made her way down the hallway she dodged the many suitcases that had been piled on the floor. She stared at the large bright orange one that belonged to her father.
"Maybe if I unpack their clothes they'll stay," she whispered. Harley looked around the second floor landing and dove for Tre's suitcase. She unfastened the small buckle and unzipped the lid before throwing clothes out everywhere. Once the suitcase had been emptied she bundled up most of his clothes and threw them in the hallway closet, burying the clothes in the various holiday boxes that littered the inside of the small closet. She slammed the sliding door shut and dove for Billie's suitcase before doing the same thing. She grabbed his discarded clothes and ran for the small bathroom that was across from the hallway closet. She pulled open a cabinet and threw the clothes and whatnot in it before shutting it's door. Harley walked out to retrieve Mike's clothes when she heard footsteps coming up the stairs. She stood there frozen on the spot. In a few seconds she'd be caught, but she couldn't get caught yet. Without much thinking she grabbed Mike's suitcase and drug it down the hall to her room before grabbing onto the door handle and swinging the door open, almost putting a dent in the wall from how hard she swung it open.

In the nick of time she pulled the suitcase in her room and shut the door. Down the hall she heard the distinct voice of her father as he shouted obscene words. Quickly, Harley pulled the bag over and threw it into her closet. She crawled into bed and hid under the covers at the exact moment when Tre came bursting into her room. The drummer grabbed onto the blanket that was over her head, catching a few strands of hair as he did so, and ripped back the covers thus ripping out the few strands of hair he had in his hands. Harley yelped in pain as she clapped her hand over the spot where the hair had been pulled out. She looked up at her father with tear filled eyes.
"Oh my God. Harley I'm so sorry," he said once he uncurled his fingers to find the light auburn hair entangled in them, swaying in the slight breeze from the open bedroom window. He enveloped her in a hug and kissed her forehead before remembering why he had come in the room in the first place.
"Sweetie where are mine, Billie's, and Mike's clothes?" he asked softly.
"I dunno," Harley mumbled into his shirt.
"Sweetie, where are my clothes?"
"I said I dunno," Harley stated again as she pulled away from the drummer to look at him.
"Sweetie--"
"STOP CALLING ME SWEETIE!!" Harley shouted as she tore away from the drummer. She ran out of her room and sprinted through the hallway, tripping over Billie's open suitcase. She skidded across the carpet and landed a few feet away from the closed closet door. Slowly she got to her feet and checked her knees and chin for rug burn before running down the stairs, passing both Mike and Billie in the foyer.
"Where's the fire?" Mike asked as he watched as Harley tore off into the kitchen. He made his way up the stairs when Tre came running down, almost knocking himself and the bassist down the stairs.
"What the fuck Tre?" Mike asked once he caught his balance.
"Follow Harley. She hid our clothes," the drummer said, slightly out of breath.
"What?" Billie asked from the bottom of the stairs.
"She hid Mike's suitcase in her closet. She emptied mine and yours and hid our clothes," the drummer said as he continued to chase after his daughter. He turned the corner into the kitchen to hear the front door slam.

Harley ran down the sidewalk and towards the front tree in the yard. She checked her pocket for the keys to the rental car and pulled them out. She reached up, grasping onto a low hanging branch and shimmied up the tree. Once she had her footing on the branch she climbed to the next, slowly ascending upwards. She hooked the key ring on a branch that was far from the ground and made her climb down. She stopped once she noticed her father and uncles at the bottom of the tree staring up at her.
"Come down here," Tre commanded, pointing a finger at the ground.
"No," Harley said.
"Harley, get down here now," the drummer said again.
"No."
"Don't make Billie climb up there."
"Me? Why do I have to climb up there?" Billie asked eyeing his friend.
"Ummm. 'Cause you're a good climber. And you're the shortest out of us," Tre said looking at the guitarist.
"Actually, you're the shortest," Mike said.
"Do you think those branches could hold me up?"
"What makes you think they'll hold me up?" Billie asked.

Harley smiled as the small group underneath the tree began to argue. She shimmied around to the other side of the tree before counting to three and jumping to the hard earth below. She pulled out a small pocket knife she had found in Tre's suitcase and began to crawl towards the rental car. Time wasn't on her side though. Before she could get the small blade out someone's arms had wrapped around her waist.
"Put me down!" she screamed kicking her legs out. She threw the small pocket knife at the car, hoping it would do something. She frowned when it bounced off the metallic surface of the car, not even leaving a small dent. She watched as Tre walked over to retrieve his pocket knife. He pocketed the small knife and turned to stare at her. Harley narrowed her eyes at her father before a smirk spread across her lips. She brought her foot forward and brought it back, kicking the bassist in the shin. Mike yelped in pain and buckled over, almost setting Harley on the ground. Before she could place a toe on the hard ground, Billie grabbed onto her and held her close to him. He watched as Mike bent over and massaged his throbbing leg before turning his gaze back to the little girl. He was disappointed in the her and it was apparent by how he was looking at her.

"I'm sorry," Harley muttered before wrapping her arms around the guitarist's neck.
"How'd you get her to calm down so fast?" Tre asked walking over to the guitarist. Billie shrugged and walked towards the house with Mike behind him. The drummer stayed behind. He felt a little jealous of Billie. How could his friend calm down his child and he couldn't? Tre sighed and slowly walked back towards the tree. He looked up and noticed the keys swinging in the breeze. He mentally cursed as he tried to climb into the tree, but realized it was a bad idea. He slowly walked into the house to find Billie and Mike questioning Harley. The little girl shook her head and made a motion like she was locking her mouth with a key.
"Where are our clothes?" Billie asked again. Harley just stared up at him and cocked her head to the side. The guitarist asked again, not getting an answer from the little girl. He slammed his hands down on the arms of the chair he was sitting in out of frustration. Harley jumped a bit and looked up at Tre who was standing in the doorway.
"Harley, where are our clothes?" he asked, moving towards her and kneeling down in front of the girl. Harley just shook her head and looked away, pretending not to listen.
"Harley, we need to go back to California. I know you think it's just because of our new CD, but it's not," the drummer said, coaxing his daughter to look at him. She turned to look at him and opened her mouth to speak before shutting it quickly, she wasn't giving in that easily.
"We have families back in California. Billie had two sons and a wife, Mike has his own daughter, and I have Claudia at home. Please show us where our clothes are so we can go home and see them," Tre pleaded with her.

Harley sighed and nodded her head before getting up. She walked up the stairs and onto the second floor landing before opening the closet door and pulling out two of the boxes in there. She opened the box that was labeled Halloween and pulled out a few shirts along with a pair of boxers. She immediately dropped the clothes, wiping her hands on her shirt. Billie and Mike chuckled as she kicked the boxers away from her silently mouthing the word 'ew'. Harley turned back to the box and pulled out a few pants before moving onto the other box that was labeled Christmas. She opened up the lid and immediately pushed it towards Tre so she wouldn't have to touch the top layer of clothing which happened to be most of his dirty boxers. Tre rolled his eyes and grabbed his clothes before putting them into his suitcase.
"Now where's my clothes?" Billie asked.
"In the bathroom," Harley whispered as she walked towards the bathroom. Billie watched as she reached into the cabinet and pulled out his clothes. She tossed the bundle to the guitarist and went back to retrieve what was left. She grimaced as she reached in and pulled out a pair of boxers by her thumb and index finger. She held it out at arms length and then tossed it at Billie. The guitarist rolled his eyes, just like Tre had before, and packed away his clothes.
"Well, better drop Harley off with Barb and Gary," Mike said walking down the hallway with his suitcase.
"Lemme pack," Harley said with a sigh as she walked into her room and packed. Once everything was in her bag she grabbed her pillow and Canine, before walking downstairs.
"Harley can you climb up an get the keys?" Tre asked. Harley sighed and nodded her head. She pulled her belongings outside and laid them down on the front walkway. She climbed into the tree and retrieved the keys before jumping out. She walked back to Billie and gave him the keys before pulling her stuff to the car and put it in the trunk.
* * *

Harley stepped out of the car. She stared at her uncle's two story home and sighed. She walked around to the back of the car and waited for Billie to unlock the trunk so she could get her pillow, stuffed animal, and suitcase. She wheeled it up the sloping driveway and onto the front walkway before climbing up the porch steps with the band behind her. Mike reached out and rang the doorbell. He smiled when Brad, the oldest son, opened the door.
"Hey Brad," he greeted.
"Hey Mike, Harley, Tre, and Billie. Come on in," the oldest son said before stepping out of the way. Harley picked up her bag and walked into the house. She set her stuff down by the stairs before running for her Aunt Barbara, who sitting in a chair. She sat down in her aunt's lap and gave her a hug.
"Hey Harley. Haven't seen you a while," Barb said with a smile. She turned to the Green Day gang and said her hellos. They each nodded their heads in a hello.
"Where's Kathy?" Harley asked as Barb bounced her on her knee.
"She's in the shower. She'll be out in an hour or so."
"Ok," Harley said nodding her head as she climbed off her aunt's knee. She walked over to Tre and sat down on his lap. The drummer began to bounce her on his knee.
"Stop it," she said giggling, wrapping her arms around his neck.
"Hey, Tre when should we get going?" Billie asked.
"I guess we should leave soon," the drummer replied.
"No! Don't go daddy. Don't go. Please. Stay here," Harley pleaded. Tre looked at her and shook his head. She looked over at Billie, who also shook his head. She pushed away from Tre and headed for the stairs running up onto the second landing. The drummer sighed and ran his hand down his face.
"Tell her I love her Barb. Tell her I'll come back and visit," Tre said. Barb nodded her head and smiled.
"Tell her the same for me," Billie muttered as he looked up at the second floor landing.
"Same here," Mike whispered as he fidgeted with his hands. They each stood up one at a time and walked towards the door. They waved goodbye to the family members in the house and made their departure for the airport. Barb sighed and got up. She made her way up the stairs to find Harley curled up in a ball on Kathy's bed.
"Hey, sweetie," she whispered. Harley scooted away from her aunt towards the window.
"They sent me up here to tell you they love you and that they'll visit you," Barb whispered as she stroked Harley's hair. She sensed that she wasn't wanted and stood up before leaving the room, leaving Harley there to dwell in her shredded dreams of happiness.