Status: New work!

Predatory Eyes

Best of Intentions

Ari felt warm. Too warm in fact but she couldn’t seem to get her limbs to move. She could hear movement around her and even though she wanted to peel her eyes open, she just couldn’t bring herself to do that either. Hushed male voices spoke from somewhere in the room but she couldn’t make out what they were saying, not that she particularly cared to.

Last night was a blur to her and she desperately wished that she could rid herself of the memories that had etched themselves into her mind. Her chest felt heavy, as if a ton of bricks lay there and her head was pounding though she hadn’t consumed any alcohol. She wished she could just make the hurt and pain go away but she was a mere mortal that succumbed to feelings and heartache. If only she could will it away.

Someone shook her shoulder lightly, the touch barely there as if the person were afraid she would crumble right there and then. Unwillingly she opened her eyes and closed them quickly when Matt’s concern face swam into view. She groaned, wishing that he too would just disappear but she didn’t have a genie to grant that wish so she knew that she was stuck with him.

Swatting at him with listless movements, she forced her body to move until she sat upright. Opening her eyes, she took in the unfamiliar surroundings and a brief surge of panic hit her square in the chest. The last thing she remembered was stumbling out of Shakers, using Zacky as a crutch but after that, everything was hazy.

“Where am I?” she said softly, not meeting Matt’s gaze.

“Zacky’s.” he replied gently, his voice soft and filled with concern. “He brought you here after….”

Ariana held her head in her hands, her hair forming a curtain around her. She could feel her chest swell with a multitude of emotions, her eyes pooling with tears as she remembered the way her husband kissed Matt’s girlfriend. Nothing seemed to make sense anymore. Everything was just a jumbled mess.

“You’re awake.” Zacky’s voice came from her left and she turned to see her long time friend leaning against the doorframe of the living room. “I made you something to eat.”

“Is it edible?” Ari asked weakly, forcing herself to smile feebly.

“You never fail to be an astonishing jerk Ari but yeah…I’d like to think so.” He replied with a sheepish shrug of his shoulders. “Do you want to eat in here or in the kitchen?”

“I’d like the bathroom first.” Ari said, running her fingers through her hair.

“Um, I took the liberty of getting some things for you to wear. I stopped at your house before I brought you here.” Zacky scratched the back of his neck, a nervous habit of his that he seemed to have had his entire life.

Ari didn’t say anything as she got to her feet. Zacky led her to the small bathroom where she closed the door only to come face to face with herself in the full length mirror. She groaned at the sight before her. Her eyes were dark and sunken, her hair limp and her skin a bit pale for a woman of such a rich complexion. She looked like hell and surely felt worse. She noticed that her toothbrush was placed on the counter of the sink, making her smile to herself that Zacky hadn’t changed over the years. He still paid attention to the smallest things and for that, Ari was grateful.

As she brushed her teeth, she forced herself not to look at her reflection but had to force herself even more not to think of Travis. She wanted to be angry, to scream every expletive in the book at him for turning her into a fool, to cry and exact her fury unto him but she knew she couldn’t. All that she could feel was a sense of loss so deep that it made her weak at the knees.

What had changed between them that Travis would seek a separation and then wind up with Rachel. What had been so bad that he had turned to someone else? Hadn’t she always been there by his side? Hadn’t she given herself completely to him over the last seven years? He was her world, the center of her universe and yet, he so callously chose to give it all up? It made no sense to her that him seeing Matt kissing her would spark such a reaction. A separation was by far too extreme. There was another reason and Ariana was determined to figure it out.

“Zacky!” she called from the bathroom. He could hear footsteps approaching. As she opened the door slightly, she was surprised to see that he had her pink and blue tote in hand.

“Clothes.” He said, smiling awkwardly at her as she accepted the proffered bag.

“You think of everything. I’m glad that that hasn’t changed.” Ari smiled at him, but they both knew that it didn’t reach her eyes.

“Matt has to talk to you Ari.” Zacky blurted as she began to close the door. “He isn’t going to leave until he does.”

“I figured.” She replied, sighing out loud. “When I’ve had some coffee then I can deal with him, until then, I need to shower and feel human again.”

Zacky padded off and headed back to the kitchen where Matt was making a fourth pot of coffee. Zacky quirked an eyebrow at him but said nothing. He had known Matt since high school but they were never very close. They listened to the same music and hung out with the same people but Zacky always harbored a slight aversion to the muscular man that was standing in his tiny kitchen. It was interesting how life worked though; two people who never really shared anything having someone they cared about in common. Life sure was a sneaky son a bitch.

“How do you plan on telling her?” Zacky asked, casually leaning against the nearest countertop.

“I have no idea.” Matt let out a frustrated sigh and turned to face Zacky. “I keep rehearsing it in my head but somehow I think whatever I plan isn’t what’s gonna come outta my mouth.”

“Just let it happen Matt.” Zacky pulled down three mugs from the overhead cabinet. “She needs to know and I think it’s best it comes from you.”

The two of them continued their conversation, keeping their tones hushed as they did, neither of them willing to truly accept that Travis Rose was a cheat and a scoundrel. By the time Ari had walked into the kitchen, Matt was wringing his hands furiously in nervousness and Zacky was slightly anxious.

They watched in silence as Ari picked at the food Zacky had prepared, seemingly oblivious to both men in the tiny kitchen. Matt shifted uncomfortably before deciding that his nerves were shot and he didn’t have it in him to break Ari’s heart all over again. Before he could even put on foot in front of the other, Ari peered up at him, rooting him to the spot with just one look.

“You have something to say.” She said softly, her voice detached. “So say it.”

Clearing his throat, Matt glanced at Zacky who tilted his head to one side before smiling encouragingly.

“I know that my track record isn’t the best, especially with you.” Matt began, his voice strained even to his own ears.

“No need to state the obvious Sanders, just get to the point.” Ari muttered before taking a sip of her now lukewarm coffee and grimacing.

“I’ve been trying to contact you about this, but you never returned my calls.” Matt tried again, shifting his weight from one foot to the next.

“Yes, I’m well aware.” Ari frowned at him, studying him briefly.
“You look a bit green.”

“Travis and Rachel have been together for the last two weeks Ari.” The words tumbled out of Matt’s mouth before he could stop himself. “Somewhere along the way, he managed to meet her, maybe through me, I’m not sure but still, they have something going on between them and well….” Matt’s voice trailed off.

“Well what?” Ari felt her heart shattering in her chest.

“Rachel didn’t come back for me. She came back for him. He’s leaving you for her.” Matt felt like he was going to be sick when he saw the tears pooling in Ari’s eyes.

“And you know this how?” she choked out.

“Rachel’s sister called me and told me everything. She said that Rachel has been meeting with Travis for months now.” Matt looked to Zacky for some sort of support or intervention at the very least. “They’ve had something going…”

“I don’t want to hear anymore Matt.” Ari held her hand up, silencing Matt before he could continue. “I get the picture.”

“What are you gonna do babydoll?” Zacky asked, approaching Ari cautiously, as if he were afraid that she may snap at any given moment.

“Right now? I’m going to work.” Ari said crisply but internally she was struggling to flip that well worn switch in her mind, the one that effectively blocked out her pain. “I have too much work on my plate that needs to be done.”

“But….” Zacky couldn’t believe that she seemed so calm, especially after hearing something so devastating.

“No Zacky. If I dwell, I’m going to do something I’ll regret.” Ari got to her feet, her breakfast relatively untouched. “I’ll be at the office if you need me.” She breezed out of the kitchen, her shoulders thrown back proudly though the sound of her heart breaking rang loudly in her ears.

“Are you going to be okay?” Matt asked, following Ari towards the guest bedroom.

“No, I’m not going to be ok.” Ari said tearfully, struggling to keep her emotions in check. “Nothing’s going to be ok.” She could feel herself breaking down, right there in front of the one person she didn’t want to ever see her cry.”Everything is….it’s all…..I…” Her knees trembled just as Matt wrapped his arms securely around her, holding her to him.

“I’m here Ari. I’m not leaving your side. We’ll get through this…..” he kissed the top of her head. “together.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the wait guys!! I was banned from the site for a while but i'm here now!

Last chapter's list of awesome:
gothique4
RachTheBat
headrushxreeta
amodernmyth88 (you always have that way of hating on Zacky in anything i write with him in it!! I love that!!)

//Pree