Status: Work in progress

Broken Lives

Goodnight

Raspy, uneven breathing. Unbearable pain. Terrified, he felt so horribly alone.

"Mummy?"

A sob, a cry for help. He needed help but he only wanted his mummy.

"Mummy, where are you?!"

Frantic, his eyes were blurry, he could barely see. Confused and dazed, what had happened? Where was he? Then it clicked, he had gone to soccer practise before staying behind to kick the ball around for a little longer. He had then proceeded to get changed and walk slowly home the short distance. But why was he sprawled across the ground? Why did his eyelids feel so heavy? Why was he so tired? He tried to get up but he felt numb. Strange. He couldn't feel his feet, or his legs for that matter.

"Mummy!"

He gargled and then choked trying to cry out again but his mouth was full of some funny tasting thick liquid. His breathing became shallow and his eyes rolled backward but he heard a voice calling him faintly.

"Luke, baby.. you need to stay awake, you hear me sweetie? The doctor's will be here soon."

That familiar voice. It's filled him up with a glowing feeling, washing away the loneliness he had felt moments before. Warm hands stroked his face. He tried to open his eyes but they're far too heavy so he closed them. Seeing his mummy briefly made him feel like crying for joy but the pain is too much so he just bit his tongue.

"Mummy, mummy I'm scared."

It wasn't a question but a fact. Something was wrong with his legs and his whole body hurt so much.

"Mummy, make it stop." He whimpered, willing the pain to end. His mummy could always make him feel better.

"Soon, baby. Just don't go to sleep."

He heard a sob, it took him a few minutes to realise it wasn't his own crying but his mummy's and he became more confused. Why was she sad? He was making mummy cry. He felt a stab of guilt in his heart.

"Mummy, please stop crying. I'll be all better, I just need to sleep." He begged, unable to fight the battle of consciousness. He slowly drifted off.

"Mummy and daddy loves you so much Lukey, don't you forget that baby."

He faintly felt drips of moisture hit his face, then he heard her soft heart-wrenching sobs.

"Love you and daddy too." He whispered meekly. "See you when I wake up." He drifted off to the sound of his mummy as she begun to cry loudly.

Name: Luke (Lukey) Collins
Age: Five years old
Dream: To be the best soccer player in the world.
Cause of Death: Hit and Run.