Status: Work in progress

Broken Lives

Patrol

Two police officers had been on patrol when they'd heard of a hit and run incident. They had contacted the nearest police station, letting the officer on communications know that they were close and would go to the scene. They had been filled in with what little detail there was to tell. Something about a victim, a child that had been making their way home before being hit with extreme ferocity. The driver hadn't slowed down or stopped at all.

Only a guilty person wouldn't stop to check if the victim was okay. Perhaps the driver had been drunk, high or taken some other form of illegal drug. Until they could identify the vehicle there was no way of knowing for sure.

When they arrived there was an ambulance, a crowd of bystanders and another patrol car that had gotten there a few minutes earlier to control the mass. With the car parked safely on the opposite side of the street the men stepped out of their vehicle. Checking both ways they crossed the unusually quiet main street and maneuvered through the gawkers.

"Step back, officers coming through." They repeated agitatedly. Here they were trying to do their job and people where milling around to try take videos of the gruesome scene. They made it through the crowd and stopped to get a better aspect on the scene. They heard sobbing and words of comfort coming from behind the ambulance.

A paramedic come into view shaking his head sadly, he saw the officers and approached them anxiously. The officers pulled out their I.D's and showed it to the medic as a form of introducing themselves.

"We tried our best to revive the boy but his injuries were far too extensive," The medic explained. "The mother is there, she's the one that put the call through. We haven't had any time to ask her questions, sorry." He motioned behind the ambulance.

"That's fine, we'll question her." The first officer spoke. He had short, cropped dark hair, was well built and tall. He held a serious aura and looked no older than 30. His partner was shorter and just as fit, with unkempt blond hair and a smile that could make anyone swoon.

The medic moved aside to let the officers go past. They rounded the corner of the vehicle and the first officer stopped in his tracks, his eyes bore holes into the mother and the deceased boy. His I.D dropped unconsciously to the ground and falls open. A picture of the straight faced man took up one side, his name and police I.D number took up the other.

Name: Daniel Collins
I.D Number: 2695242000
♠ ♠ ♠
I wasn't planning on starting this story properly until I had finished some other stories of mine but I decided to write a tiny paragraph and ended up writing the whole second chapter instead.

Thoughts?

What do you think will happen next?