Status: Work in progress

Broken Lives

Numb

Daniel couldn't comprehend anything. He could only stare ahead at the mother the ambulance officer had mentioned. His brain turning wheels, trying to decipher what was in front of him.

“Daniel…” His partners voice seemed to sound far away but he was only standing a foot or two away.

The mother turned around when she heard his name, her eyes were bloodshot, and her young face looked like it had aged a decade. She stood up weakly and stumbled toward the men before wrapping her arms around Daniel.

“I tried… I tried to call you,” He heard her heart wrenching sobs and his arms fold over her small shaking shoulders.

Daniel heaved suddenly, finally taking in what he’d just learnt. The mother of the deceased child was his wife and the child, the child was his little man, his little Lukey.

Only now did he feel the hot, wet, salty tears of anguish run down his face. His heart ached, worse than any pain he’d ever felt and he wondered how a god so cruel could exist. How could he have known that he’d be coming to his own son’s crime scene, how could someone ever hit a child and flee?

Flee.

The perpetrators had hit his little boy and had fled.

A rush of anger overcame him and it took what little self-control he had left not to scream to the heavens, to demand to have his son given back.

Daniel felt his wife’s grip tighten around him and he blinked back to reality, pushing past his own feelings to comfort his wife. He pulled her back to stare at her and for a moment they could only stare at each other. Daniel felt the burning pain throb stronger as he gazed at his broken hearted wife, he had to be strong for her now. He had no time to crumble, for her sake.

There was only one thing he wanted to know before he would suck up the pain he was feeling for her.

“Where you with him, then?” His voice came out, like a broken whisper but she had heard him and he could see her struggle to form coherent words.

“He said… he said… he’d see us, when he… woke up.” She burst into another round of sobs and Daniel pulled his wife back into him before resting his chin on her head. His eyes slide close and he willed himself to become numb, numb to the pain, numb to the feelings he was harboring, numb to his surroundings.

Numbness is what would get him through this.
♠ ♠ ♠
Slowly but surely I'll be updating this story!