Status: Work in progress

Broken Lives

Cruel Reality

A tragic event is under investigation as police search for the perpetrators responsible for a hit and run incident that killed a young boy earlier this week. No information has been released as of yet but we have been informed by an anonymous tipper that the police have a suspect in custody.

Daniel took another swig of his whiskey and tsked, flicking the television off and throwing the remote down beside him.

It’s true, they had a suspect in custody, being thoroughly interrogated but he wasn’t spilling any information. In fact he claimed his car, that same car that had been used to… to kill Lukey, had been stolen weeks prior to the hit and run.

But even so, why’d that stupid news report have to be on just has he had decided to watch tv.

‘What a load of shit,’ Daniel thought, placing his forehead into the palm of his hand as he slumped forward, burying down the rising feelings.

His wife, Grace, she hadn’t gotten out of bed since the incident, if he listened closely he could hear her sobs from down the hall, he could always her hear sobs, even if he wasn’t in the house. Her sobs echoed in his mind as he tried to go about his day working.

Daniel stood up, realizing it was nearly time to start putting dinner on and he moved to the kitchen, busying his hands.

That’s all he seemed to be doing lately, tedious tasks, folding clothes, making food, going to work. Anything, as long as it kept him busy, if he was busy then he didn’t have long enough to think about it.

The only time he had crumbled was when he would pass by Lukey’s room. At first the door had been open from when Grace had cleaned it up before going to collect Lukey from soccer practice, just before the incident. He would look in as he passed and he wouldn’t make it to his room. The only time Grace had gotten out of bed was to investigate the crying coming from the hallway. She found Daniel on the floor in front of Lukey’s room, crying his eyes out in despair and there she’d fall as well, buried inside each other’s arms, they’d cry until they couldn’t any longer.

Eventually Daniel would pick his sleeping wife up and take her to bed, tucking her in before he’d collapse himself, exhausted, but only to be greeted by the night terrors.

Even in his sleep he couldn’t escape the cruel reality, he’d be putting his little man in a coffin, sixty years too young, and there was no escaping that thought.
♠ ♠ ♠
I was inspired to write this chapter and I hope you liked this update,

Until next time.