Blackout

She sounds so far away.

She can hear their voices around her. They’re yelling at her begging her to be okay. She doesn’t know what happened. One minute she was fresh out of the shower staring at herself in the hallway mirror outside of the bathroom with her towel around her body. She was breathing heavily having gotten out of the bathroom when her chest started to hurt. She was fine she could swear she was – just a little painful to breathe is all. But then she opened her eyes and she was on the floor. Her back to the wall her mother and sister in front of her faces panicked and worried. She doesn’t know what happened – why was she on the floor? They’re yelling again telling her to focus. They ask what’s wrong and she just stares because she’s the one that wanted to ask that - how did she get on the floor? They ask again begging her to tell them what’s wrong and she just stares. What was wrong? Why am I on the floor, she thinks. Finally when they stall and they’re not talking so fast anymore she takes a deep breath and tries to think about what happened but all she can remember is her paling face in the hallway mirror. When her mother noticed her confused face and realize she’s just as lost as them on what happened she whispers, voice strong and sure, that she blacked out and collapsed on the floor. The girl just stares a little longer, taking it all in. She looks to her sister who nods backing up her mother’s words face full of concern.

“Oh, so that’s why I’m on the floor.” She says quickly with a smile on her face. They’re asking more questions again and her mom says something about a hospital. She just smiles wider listening to every word repeatedly saying she’s fine and not to worry. They can’t stop worrying; saying that she has to get up and get dressed, that they’re going to the hospital when she’s done. Her mother grabs one arm asking if she can stand on her own and she says yes and to prove her point she does - pushing up off the ground with a little difficulty. Her mom’s running around getting dressed in outside clothes and her sister’s is urging her to do the same. And all she does is smile all the while because that’s the only thing she can try to do to easy their worry. She can’t say she feels fully fine without being a lair and she can’t turn back time making them un-see her blackout. So all she can do is smile. Smile to let them know that even if she’s not okay she’ll be fine.
♠ ♠ ♠
What have we done?