Status: Magic is real :)

Ridikulous

Ch2 - Year 1 Part 2 - Hufflepuff and Gryffindor

CHAPTER TWO

A hat... that must be why my parents refused to say anything about this, they must be embarrassed! Whether it was because they had to be sorted by a talking hat, or what the hat did, I'm not sure, although, my best guess would be that it was a bit of both.

"Did you know about the hat?" Potter asked me in a whisper, and he broke eye contact with me every now and then to glance around warily at the students who pointed out his scar.

"No, I'm pretty sure my parents were too embarrassed to admit that they were sorted by an old hat," I replied with a slight sneer curled at my lips.

Potter grinned a little before he became uncertain. "Do you know what my blood-status is...?"

His uncertainty was starting to become almost endearing, and I wasn't sure whether to find something so annoying endearing, or to just ignore it and go with the flow. Well, I don't want to scare off Potter so I decided to go with the flow. "You're a Half-Blood, your mother was a muggle-born witch and your father was a Blood-Traitor, he caused quite a stir within the pureblood community when he married your mother."

I observed him as he digested the information, he could become a very powerful Lord if he had his eyes opened, there was more to the magical community than just the wave of a wand, and it was in dire need of renovation, and Potter could be the man to do it.

"If you don't mind me asking..."

"...What's mine?" I cut Potter off, and I continued when he nodded in agreement. "Although I would technically be quater-blood, I'm considered Muggleborn because I have less than half of pure wizarding blood in my body. My father is a muggleborn, and my mother is a half-blood."

"Now," the lady who brought us into the hall, Professor McGonagall she introduced herself as, announced with a steady and stern voice, which her expression matched. She must do this every year. "When I call your name, I will place the hat on your head, and you will be sorted... Hannah Abbot!"

A petite girl with strawberry blond hair stumbled her way up to the hat and, predictably, the hat placed her in Hufflepuff.

"Rosie?" Potter whispered my name to attract my attention. "Will you still help me if we're in different Houses?"

"I'll do you one better," I replied in a whisper. "I'll be your friend."

Potter's smile could have blinded the sun, and I smiled back, although not quite as brightly as him. I silently made a vow to get Potter through school with his sanity in tact, and turn him into a man that knows his politics inside and out.

"Rosie Jones!" McGonagall called out.

"Good luck," Potter whispered to me as I started to make my way towards the stool and hat.

"You too," I replied over my shoulder, and then I broke free of the crowd. All the stares were intimidating, but I kept my head held high, and I practically sauntered over to the stool. Never show weakness in public.

McGonagall placed the head over my head, and my vision turned dark. I could faintly see the imprint of the fabric, and I could feel the fabric press against my lashes.

"Ah, another Jones?" The hat said, his voice echoing inside my head. No-one else would hear him until he made a decision, from the sound of it. "Of course not, what do you take me for, girl?" The hat sounded amused oddly enough. "Let's see... very manipulative and ambitious... oh, what's this? Very Loyal and hard-working, aren't we?"

I rolled my eyes, although the effect was lost under the hat. 'Don't put me in Slytherin, with the amount of pureblood enthusiasts in there, I'll be dead before sunrise.'

"Yes," the hat agreed. "Slytherin would not be the best for you, you certainly are brave and not afraid of danger, but more than that, you are loyal and not afraid of hard work... you'll be best off in..."

"HUFFLEPUFF!" The hat announced, and the hat was abruptly taken off my head. I had to walk slowly in the vague direction of the Hufflepuff table until I got used to the bright colours of the hall once again. I waved to an anxious Harry and I sat at the Hufflepuff bench, occasionally shaking a hand and graciously accepting a pat on the back.

Despite being good with politics, mum and dad both suspected I would be in Hufflepuff, I'm apparently always quick to defend the ones I get attached to, and I'm not afraid to bare my teeth (metaphorically of course) when I feel threatened, or if my family/friends are threatened. I didn't believe them simply for the fact that well, they're my family, and all house types would defend their family honour, and I never had any friends before, so I could never know whether I would do the same for a friend.

But now that I met Potter, I think I can understand why I'm in Hufflepuff too.

"Harry Potter!" McGonagall called, and the hall was silent until Potter started to move, and then whispering and pointing of all sorts started up. I glared at some of the more vocal people, especially on my table, but no-one payed me any mind.

However, Potter surprised me with how composed he was as he walked to the stool. His hands twitched a lot, but besides that, you could hardly tell he was nervous, and he seemed the picture of calm, or even boredom.

Once the hat was placed on Potter's head, silent filled the great hall. Everyone was waiting with baited breath, and I was no exception, and it seemed to take the hat a while before it made a decision and announced; "Gryffindor!"

Potter, no, Harry's, fate was sealed, and he announced to the world that he was courageous and loyal, something that is needed in a leader of the Light. He announced it to the world, and 3/4 of the students cheered (and in the case of the Gryffindors, roared).

I smiled and I leapt to my feet as I clapped.

Harry noticed me and he smiled at me.

I smiled back.

Everything was going to change, that I was sure of.

~*~*~*~

I woke early this morning to get first choice with the breakfast meats. I love sausages and bacon, don't judge me. Anyway, I had to have had at least 4 helpings of sausages before any other Hufflepuffs came down. Apparently us 'Puffs enjoy sleeping as much as possible.

This morning, everyone was shocked when Harry came down, that, instead of joining the Gryffindor table, he came and sat down next to me at the Hufflepuff table. "I think I regret being in Gryffindor."

I snorted in amusement. "Why's that?"

"They won't leave alone, and as soon as I say hi to them, they act like we're best mates!" Harry informed me with a look of horror on his face, it was rather comical.

I laughed. "Welcome to the life of a celebraty."

Harry groaned and piled some bacon on his plate. "Can I get a Resort?"

I smirked. "Nope." My eyes narrowed. "Oi, I want some bacon too thank you very much."

Now it was Harry's turn to smirk. Ooooh, that little git's gonna get it.

~*~*~*~

For the first day, which was a Sunday, we were allowed to explore the castle to get used to the layout of the school, and to explore the grounds too. For most of the day, Harry and I wandered the school and searched for any secret passages, which we found plenty of, and after a quick lunch (with plenty of meat and chocolate cake for dessert) we ventured out to the grounds.

After we explored the grounds for a bit, we stopped by the lake to enjoy the last of the sunshine and any time we'll get to read ahead. I looked oddly energetic in my reflection in the lake, my auburn brown hair actually had some volume to it for once, and my olive green eyes looked like jewels, or it might be the sunlight on the water that made me look extra pretty, but hey, I felt pretty.

"So," I said with a grin. "What's the best spell for a first year to use in a duel?"

Harry frowned before he replied. "Expellirumus?"

My grin grew wider. "Excellent, now, wanna see if we can cast it?"

Harry grew a mischievous grin almost identical to my own.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hopefully I'll have explained properly why Rosie's in Hufflepuff :)

Btw, there wll be slight bashing of other characters, but not overly extensive bashing... besides Draco Malfoy, for obvious reasons xD