Status: "Why are you painting in Gallifreyan? How can you know Gallifreyan?"

Let Down Your Hair

The Flickering Castle

I made the Doctor help me braid my hair, weaving the strands until the end of the braid brushed the floor beside my feet. He tried to wave his sonic at it a few times but nothing happened, and he muttered bitterly “First wood, then hair.”

We exited the TARDIS and appeared in a field that seemed to be completely empty. The grass was tall and thin; the sun shone through it and casted a green light. It was an image I wanted to paint, I wanted to roll around in the grass and feel the earth squish between my toes. I took in a deep breath of fresh air, shutting my eyes tight.

When I opened them, I saw the sun flicker. Like it was a projection.

“Is there supposed to be something here, Doctor?” I asked, staring at the peculiar image of the sun. Something seemed off, and I didn’t know what it was.

“The TARDIS wouldn’t drop us off in the middle of no where, not for a situation this grave.”

Grave. What an appropriate word.

I made my way cautiously through the field. Something wasn’t right and I wanted to know what it was. Now that I was out of the tower, I wanted to know everything. I held a palm out in front of me, my fingers shaking.

I walked maybe five or six feet when my hand brushed something rough.

“Doctor!” I called, and he appeared by my side in seconds, like an obedient little puppy. I bit back a laugh at his eager expression. “There’s something here. It’s hidden.”

“Oh! A cloaking device, a bit like a mini-chameleon circuit.” He tapped the heel of his hand against his forehead several times, like he was chastising himself for not figuring it out sooner.

The Doctor whipped out the sonic screwdriver and pointed it at what seemed to be a vast empty space.

Then the air began to roil, boiling like the sun on a hot day. The pleasant field began to warp, flicker, twist, and all of the sudden a castle appeared out of thin air. I gasped and fell back a step.

It was archaic; it looked like the castles I had seen in storybooks and even took to painting every once in a while. A large gate that was made of rusted metal stood tall, but it was unlocked. It was like the Singing Muses were inviting us in.

There was a sense of foreboding in the air.

“Come on, Rapunzel!” The Doctor shouted, snapping me out of my reverie. He was already halfway down the pathway that led to the actual front door of the castle, which was ornately decorated. Everything that was not dark was gold. Pictures of flowers and old things were everywhere I looked, and as the Doctor pushed open the door to the castle with no trouble at all, I wondered.

Why me? How did this flower become a part of me?

We’d been inside the castle for five minutes when figures in the shadows leapt out at us. I screamed but there was nothing I could do; a rag was shoved over my mouth and the world faded to a bleak, dismal, nothingness.
♠ ♠ ♠
one more left!