Uncontrollable Changes

My fault

As I lay on the ground, my face down and hands over my head, I hear the girl behind the counter cry as the man in a balaclava points a gun at her. I feel sorry for her, but she's not my biggest concern at the moment. I can feel it happening and there's no way I can stop it. No one in the room knows what's about to happen, not even me.

Before I realise what I've done I have a gun pointed at my face and I'm surrounded by torn bodies. The man with a gun looks me in the eye, he looks terrified and I'm the reason. I have to blink, but if I do I'm a dead man, he'll shoot me and run. He blinks first, when he opens his eyes I'm not the same as before. I'm myself again, but covered in the blood of others.

The man is now confused and even more terrified. He looks me in the eyes again and turns to run. He drops his gun at the door as I fall to my knees. What have I done? I question myself. I knew something would happen, but how was I to know it would be this bad? I see something move from the corner of my eye, my head turns to face the movement. It's a child, her eyes meet mine and she sprints from the room.

I can't stand to look at myself. I stand, slowly, from the floor and make my way to the bathroom. I need to clean every trace of blood from my body before I leave. If I leave anything they will know that something happened. I can't let anyone find out about what I've done. I find clean clothes in the lost property basket and try to look nice.

As I walk from the bathroom I hear cars pulling up. I can't be seen here. If I'm seen they will know, my secret will be public. I turn back to the bathroom and spot a window above the sink. I have to run at the sinks and jump to make it out. I dive through the window and roll onto the grass outside. I get up quickly and run into the woods behind the building.

I run until the building is but a speck in the distance. I'm alone in the middle of the woods. Where do I go now? I've covered my tracks and no one knows where I am. I decide I should go home, my mum will understand what happened, she's the only one that knows about me. Hopefully she will know how to help.

I start walking back towards the building I had just run from. It begins to get dark and soon I am at my backyard. My mum is sitting on the stairs, she's been worrying about me again. I look toward the ground as she runs to hug me. She senses that something is wrong with me. "What happened this time?" She asks as we walk back to the house.

"I couldn't stop it"
"How many this time?" My mum replies.
"I didn't exactly have time to count before I cleaned up and ran."
"Anyone live this time?"
"Little girl and some guy who tried to get money"
"Where were you?"
"Servo near the woods"

She looks at me, trying to find scars from it. But there are none, at least not anymore. They healed while I was running home. "How can I stop it?" I ask my mum as she sits opposite me at the kitchen table. I can tell that she doesn't know, I stare into my tea. She doesn't answer but just sighs.

I stand from the table and leave my mum sitting at the table, alone with her tea. My bedroom is dark and cold as I lay alone on my bed. All I can think about is the small girl's face as she ran from the room. She was terrified of me. She was probably with her parents in that room and now they lay dead as she is alone in the world. It's my fault.