Uncontrollable Changes

Another School

A few days have passed since I saw my dad. Nothing has happened. I keep the note from him in the top drawer of my bedside cupboard.

My alarm clock goes off at 5 that Monday morning. I wake, laying on my bed with the sheets falling to the ground. It's still dark outside when I get a coffee from the kitchen.

It's the first day of a new school year. I have to make the right impression. This will be my 4th school in the last 2 years, I've been kept back 2 years already and don't want to move again.

When I finish my coffee I head straight for the shower. I'm the only one awake so I try to be quiet.

When I get out of the shower it's almost 5:45. I run to my bedroom with only a towel wrapped tightly around me.

Today's meant to be hot and sunny, so I can't wear my usual skinny jeans. The only shorts I have a black short shorts. I find a tight blue singlet, a loose black midriff, matching blue socks and my black flats.

I feel unnatural wearing something like this, bits its the only summer outfit I have. I need to go shopping.

"Lillian. Are you awake?" My mum screeches from the lounge room. She always calls me Lillian when she yells.
"Been up since five" I yell in reply.

Now that she is awake I can turn on my music. "Makeup. What makeup is suitable this time?" I question myself out loud. I decide to just wear eye liner, foundation and light lipstick.

It's close to seven when I find a bag and pack my books into it. I leave the bag in my bed and head out to catch the end of this mornings news.

"Do you want me to drive you in today?" My mum asks as she sits on the couch.
"I'm capable of driving myself to school."

I don't want to be late for my first day. I grab my bag, helmet and keys. Mum doesn't want me to ride my bike but I love it. It was my dad's. He wanted my brother to have it but my brother's to stuck up to ride a bike like that.

I get to school at around 8 and find a free park. People give me awkward looks as I walk away from my bike. I ignore them and he's to the main office. I need to get a time table and text books. The lady at the counter gives me what I need but asks me to wait for someone who will show me around the school.