Status: this is it for now, but hopefully i'll have more done soon <3

God, I'm Sick of Sleeping Alone

I'm Hardly Worth Your Time

Jack knew what he was getting himself into. It was hailing, he was soaked, and there was a fairly good chance that his best friend wasn't even home, but God did he want this. His heart was racing in his chest -- and okay, maybe he was being reckless and a little stupid. Maybe Alex was in a committed relationship and had been for the past few years. Maybe you weren't supposed to fall in love with your friends. But Jack had never been one to listen to reason, and he wasn't planning on starting now.

He lifted himself up onto the tree branch next to Alex's bedroom. Adrenaline pumped through his veins as his fist connected with the glass, tapping a few times before hearing footsteps. The blinds shot up and the brown-haired boy peered out. He caught sight of Jack and smiled, opening the window and letting him in.
"You could've used the front door, y'know. Climbing through my window and almost giving me a heart attack every time isn't really necessary."
Jack smiled and shrugged.
"I like to be original."
Alex scoffed and plopped down on his bed.
"Whatever."
He lied his back against the mattress, limbs spread out, and Jack felt pretty damn awkward.

It's not like they hadn't ever liked each other. They'd been friends since day one. When Alex walked into Jack's English class that fateful day, it was only the beginning. The teacher, bless her heart, decided to sit them at the same table and the rest was history. Jack remembered grinning like a fool, seeing Alex walk up with this shy smile on his face and a blush on his cheeks. He'd whispered out a timid "Hi." and barely spoke all class. And that was okay. Jack honestly didn't think he would've been able to say actual words if they had talked, his whole body was practically shaking.

Saying that they were fast friends would be an understatement. First it was English projects and studying at each other's houses. Next, it was hanging out at school and playing video games on Saturday. Then it was all-nighter's and whispering secrets to one another when the room was pitch black and they were huddled on Jack's bedroom floor in old sleeping bags.

Things progressed from there, slowly but surely. Alex would notice Jack sitting a little too close, or Jack would wake up in the middle of the night to find Alex's arms around his torso and their sleeping bags mushed together. They'd wake up the next morning, separate, and never talk about it again. But they both understood and when they were home alone, they let it turn into whatever it wanted to.

Not-so-platonic kisses and long hugs sucked up their weekends and it was the happiest Jack thought he'd ever been in possibly his entire life. Until on a Monday afternoon, Alex didn't walk him home after school. And on Tuesday it happened again. And again. And again. Jack would see him with a short brunette girl in the hallways and before school, and their friendship dwindled. Before Jack knew what was happening, Alex was calling him announcing a new girlfriend. And just like that, Jack's entire world came to a complete and utter stop. He was in limbo. Alex spent evenings with this girl, going to the movies and fancy dinner dates. He took her out during lunch hour and made out with her in his car. Jack didn't really think he could take that anymore. He'd sat in that car, for Christ's sake.

So there he was, standing in Alex's bedroom, twiddling his thumbs and waiting for the right moment to say what he needed to say and get the hell out of there.
"Wanna watch a movie?"

Or they could do that instead.

"Sure."

Jack sat down on the mattress, at least a foot or two of space in between them as Alex flipped through the Netflix menu.
"I haven't seen Anchorman in forever."
"Let's watch that then."
Alex clicked it on and got up to turn off the lights, before climbing back in bed. He pulled the covers over them, scooting his body against Jack's side. The black and blonde haired boy could feel him breathing next to him, and found himself not really paying attention to the source of light in front of them. Rather, he was distracted by the vibrations against his hip when Alex laughed or how the brown-haired boy's fingers were dancing across his leg. And it was intoxicating.

It felt like a mere five minutes had gone by when the credits were rolling and Alex was fighting consciousness with his head on Jack's shoulder.
"Spend the night?" He yawned, gripping onto the younger boy's shirt. His voice was ragged and spent and honestly Jack just didn't have it in him to say no.
"Okay."
"I feel like I never see you anymore. I love you, y'know." Alex stared at the screen, watching the credits speed past.
"I love you too, Lex," Jack pat the boy's hand, and it was so true. So, so, so true. "So much you don't even know."
Alex gripped him tighter, yawning again.
"I'm so sorry, Jacky."
"For what?"
Alex sat up, rubbing at his eyes.
"I do know that you love me, and I'm sorry that I let you down. I'm sorry that I chose her."

Oh.

"I.. Don't be sorry. It's your choice for a reason. This is for you." Alex shook his head.
"But what about you? What about what you want?"
Jack shrugged, scratching the back of his neck.
"I don't know. I'll figure that out for myself. This is about you being happy, okay? I want you to be happy and I'm assuming your girlfriend does too."
The brunette sat on his feet, face in front of the other's.
"You should be happy too! Look at you, Jack. We used to be so close and you used to look so nice and now I barely ever see you and you always have that goddamn look on your face and I know it's my fault. I know it's my fault and I feel like I can do something about it but can't do anything at the same time. I don't know what to do. I need you to tell me what to do."

Alex had this pleading look on his face and this was not how Jack thought this was going to go at all.
"I need you to do what you think is best for you, so I can do what I think is best for me."

That was the most selfless answer Jack could come up with, but apparently it wasn't enough because Alex was getting closer and closer and angrier and angrier.

"I think we both know that that's a load of bullshit, Jack." And then he's blushing and Alex is smirking and everyone knows what everyone else is thinking.

"Then I think you know what I need." Jack whispered, and Alex was so fucking close that his breath was hitting the younger boy's face in tiny puffs.

"Yeah, I do,"

They're faces are mere inches apart, if that.

"and I'm guessing that's why you came over."

Jack only nodded at that, his train of thought sliding off track at the way Alex was whispering against him.

And then Alex's lips are lightly pressing against his, his fingers holding onto the hem of his shirt, and it's the first time Jack's kissed anyone in months. Their mouths remain closed and Alex is the one to pull away first, only backing up enough to release contact, before returning. Jack's hands are on his hips and Alex shifts into his lap, legs wrapped around his waist. Jack bites his bottom lip to gain entrance, which he does almost immediately, and it feels so familiar it's like they never stopped. Alex never had a girlfriend and never stopped coming over or inviting Jack to his house for late night study sessions. They never stopped playing video games until 5 am or kissed for hours at a time.

It was just Jack and Alex and nothing in between or in the way. And despite the ups and downs and complications and girls and changes, that's still just how they liked it.
Together.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry it's been awhile, i'm taking my finals and stuff whoops