Sequel: Fallen into Place
Status: Finished

Try to Live

Putting All My Fences Up

She was trying to stay away from him the next week. And she had done a pretty good job at it, until that one night. That one night that crushed every inch of her heart into even tinier pieces.

Alice set her purse on the kitchen counter, rummaging through it for her phone. It took about five minutes, but once she found it she rushed into her room to change. There wasn't a peep in the house, so Alice just assumed it was empty. She started cutting up fruit for the fruit salad she was attempting to make.

Footsteps made their way into the kitchen space. Alice looked up and saw Andrew standing there, clad in a black suit. He smiled at her before picking up his keys and then taking out a piece of gum from her purse. She didn't remember him having a game tonight.

Before she could ask though, he answered for her. "I'm going out on a date, if the date goes well I'll be back tomorrow, if it doesn't make sure to have dinner ready for me."

is he trying to kill me?

"Are you kidding me? I'm not making you dinner."

"I'm sorry that you're not taking the breakup well, but we're still living together, try to be a little nice."

Alice rolled her eyes and looked at him. "I should be the one being nice? Take a look in the mirror, Andrew." She brushed passed him and went to her room, slamming the door.

She thought he was going to come running back for her, knocking on the door and saying that this whole thing was just a sick, cruel joke. That he was sorry and there was really no other date; he really had a date planned out for her. But of course, that was just her imagination and he didn't get back until noon the next day.

Image

Bella and Alice were sitting on the couch, doing some files for work because they didn't finish them at work. An episode of Teen Mom was playing -despite what you say, not just teens watch it- and a beer was in hand as they worked. Today had been pretty good.

"Are you going into work tomorrow?" Bella asked after a long sip of beer. "John said we could have off tomorrow. Serena is training in two rookies."

Alice shrugged, "probably not, I guess. Depends if I have anything to do tomorrow."

The door opened, causing both of the women to look. Andrew walked in saying a quick hello then started to his room, but stopped and turned back around.

"When are you going to have enough money?"

"It actually might be a couple more months," She responded hesitantly.

He rolled his eyes and put his hands on his hips. "Seriously, it's already been almost a month, how do you not have enough yet?"

"Andrew, you obviously don't realize my job isn't high paying like yours." Bella glanced between the two nervously, ready to stand up and block the two. "Plus I don't exactly see why you have to stay here."

"Whatever." Andrew walked out of the living room, slamming the door to his bedroom.

Bella sighed and relaxed. "Guess you're on for a shopping trip?"

Alice slightly chuckled. "Got that right."

Image

The next day Alice, Bella, and Lindsey were all at a mall a little ways south of Chicago. There was a charity event happening in a week for the Blackhawks so they were out buying dresses for Lindsey.

"I don't get why you don't go. It's for friends of the players too, and it's a charty event! I think you'd be able to go. Oh and probably you too, Bella." Lindsey flipped through formal dresses on the rack, pulling out a red, sparkly dress that flows down to the ankles. She held it up against her body, waiting for approval. Once the other girls nodded she draped it over her arm with the others.

"Yeah, but it wouldn't be very appropriate."

"Raising money for a cause? Shoot me."

Alice glared at the blonde. "Fine. But only because you insisted and I'm friends with them."
Lindsey squealed and looked through her pile, thrusting a stunning blue dress towards her.

"If I'm going, you are definitely coming with me," She stated to Bella, grabbing the dress then searching through the rack like her other friends.
Alice walked out in a dark blue dress that hugged her body in all the right places, then started flowing past the knees. Bella whisted and strutted up to her, in her sleek black dress she picked out, and examined her closely.

"I think Andrew will shit his pants when he sees you."

Alice laughed and shook her head. "I think I'm going to get this one. I like it. Are you buying the one you have on?" She asked to both Bella and Lindsey, earning eager nods.

They purchased the dresses soon after, buying also heels and accessories. After, they split their ways and each headed back home. A long day of shopping tired her out and made her feet hurt. Once Alice returned home she put the bag in the closet and went straight to the bathtub. A nice, warm bath should help the pain radiating through her feet.

A moan escaped her lips as she settled into the tub, the warm water covering her. She sat in silence, almost falling asleep until a certain someone had to interrupt.

"Oh sorry!" Andrew said rushed as he just so happened to stumble into the bathroom. "I didn't know you were... uh..."

"It's not like you haven't seen it before, Andy."

He chuckled slightly. "I just saw you were here, but I didn't know where, so I just decided I would look."

"Okay, well if you mind, my feet kill and I would like to enjoy my bath."

"If you want I could give you a message," Andrew suggested a little to eagerly, causing Alice to raise and eyebrow at him. "I just, I mean it'd be the nice thing to do."

Alice laughed at his awkwardness. "I'll pass, but thanks anyways."

He gave her a genuine smile before turning around and walking back to the door.

Andrew turned back around, looking back at her naked, vulnerable state. He stared at her intently as she innocently looked up at him, batting her eyelashes. He took off his shirt in one swift motion before going into the bathtub, on top of Alice. Pants on and everything still. He kissed her passionately, making both of them moan.

He moved to her neck, kissing the creamy skin. Her hands found their way to the back of his head, lightly tugging the hairs.

"Andrew," she moaned, her head rolling back.


"What are you doing?" Her voice was now stiff.

"Andrew, Andrew," Alice repeated, snapping her fingers at him.

His head swiveled behind him. He had been daydreaming. His head fell as disappointment took over. Andrew walked the walk of shame out of her room and went to the couch.

Image

Alice climbed into bed, the light beside her was still on, shining dimly. She was planning on watching a movie before going to sleep. After her bath she had gone to the living room and actually had a normal conversation with Andrew. It kind of startled her in a way, but she also got a warm and fuzzy feeling inside her chest as they talked. It was only about miscellaneous topics, mostly the hockey season. To be honest, she was glad they didn't discuss anything to deep, she looked at this as getting closer to the way they were before.

Someone knocked on her open door before stepping in.

"Are you sleeping?" Andrew whispered. Alice quickly closed her eyes, pretending to be asleep. He sighed and sat on the edge of the bed. "Well, since you are I'll just say what I've been wanting to instead."

Alice took a peek at him. He was looking in the opposite direction. Then he ran his hand through his hair.

"I don't know why exactly I left you, ya know? You're beautiful and amazing and you did everything for me. I was the one that was horrible in the relationship. I'm sick of hearing that I'm stupid from the guys. I was going to tell you this sooner, but uh, Patrick was going to ask you on a date soon. I was going to tell you to say no, but I realized that I'm being selfish." He sighed once more. "You're so perfect..." he stood up walking to the door. "Goodnight, Alice." She heard something else, but it was muffled.

Alice sat up in her bed, eyes wide and alert. Did this mean he still liked me? Patrick is going to ask me out? Questions swarmed her head, and if she wasn't confused enough, one of her ex boyfriends just texted her, asking if she wanted to get together with him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I hope you like this so far! 33 subscribers on the first chapter! Thanks to everyone who's commented and recommended so far.

The daydream was in italics, so hopefully none of you got confused. :)