Status: Finished, yo

Not a Sound

Seal Lullaby

I take a shower and change into sweatpants and a big T-shirt, and I wash the boy's sweatshirt in the interim of lunch and school. I don't text my mom that I'm home. I only sit on the couch in my fuzzy blanket and read.

I try to, at least. My mind is wandering and bouncing from different thoughts.

Finally, the trumpet-boy arrives at 3:30. My mom isn't home yet, and won't be until 4:00, so I feel somewhat scandalous opening the door. The trumpet-boy has a small smile on his face and hands me my backpack. Here you go, he says. I have his orange sweatshirt folded in my arms, so I trade him the sweatshirt for my backpack. Oh, you washed it, he notices. You didn't have to do that.

I shrug. He smiles and the dimple pokes into his cheek. Well, thanks. It was beginning to stink anyway. He pauses. I guess I'll be seeing you. By the way, Jeena was worried if you were all right. I told her you were, but I was guessing. Are you okay?

I nod.

That's good. He pauses again, and opens his mouth to say something, but no words form. Then, Do you want to have lunch again tomorrow?

I almost flinch, and my heart pounds. What was he asking me that for? Was he feeling bad because of my disability and was only doing this to be nice? And worse, what if Melissa was there? I couldn't deal with her again. So I shrug.

Okay, I understand. He seems a little deflated, and his smile is a bit sad. I'm not sure if he really understands. If you want to join us again, I can meet you outside the band room. So... I guess I'll see you tomorrow. He shifts his weight. Bye for now. Have a good day!

I nod. You too, I motion. Thank you.

He smiles a bit brighter. No problem. See you.