Status: WIP

Wake Up & See The Sky

Chapter Two

Kellin’s breath came in short pants as he ran down the sidewalk, his TOMS slapping the concrete. He was so late, and on the first day even! As soon as the school came into view he slowed down to a more casual pace and tried to catch his breath. He didn’t want to think about why he was late, he just wanted to hurry up and get there. He made his way up the front steps, taking them two at time and pushed the doors open, immediately spotting what he hoped was the front office. Walking in he let out an almost inaudible sigh when he realized that he was right which caught the attention of the lady behind the counter.
When she looked up he gave her a weak smile, stepping closer. “Hello sweetie, what can I help you with?” She asked in a sugary sweet voice, rolling her chair closer to him, her fingers posed over her keyboard.
”Uh, I’m new. My name’s Kell-.” He started only to jump when she jumped out of her seat.
”Oh yes! Kellin , yes? I have your schedule right here. You’re quite late young man.” She chided softly as she pulled all of the necessary papers out of a folder. “Here’s your schedule and a map of the school.” When he took them, quickly scanning over the little piece of paper, she gave him a sad smile. “I’m afraid that because you were late there isn’t anyone available to show you around. They’ve all gone to class. But we’ll definitely have someone show you around tomorrow, to show you the things other than the class rooms.”
Kellin felt his stomach drop, knowing that he was screwed now. And add being lost to being new, it was like wearing a giant neon sign that said ‘beat me’. ”Can you at least tell me where my first class is?” He asked meekly. She cocked her head to the side, confused by the slight fear in his eyes but smiled and nodded anyway. After she highlighted where is first class was and then where the other ones were he left the office, his feet dragging as he tried to stall.
Unfortunately luck did not seem to be on his side as he walked into his first class, 45 minutes late. “Ah. You must be Mr. Bostwick.” The teacher said, walking over to him. Kellin shifted uncomfortably as all the eyes went on him. It was mostly girls, not the people looking at him but the entire class, except for the teacher. That surprised him, as at his old school they didn’t separate doms and fertiles, of course Michigan also didn’t have the same laws of California either, this was all extremely new to him.
”Uh, I go by my middle name. It’s just Quinn.” He said, looking over is teacher. He couldn’t help himself, being a male fertile was different than being female. Females just go around doing what they want until they meet their chosen mate, unless they believe in the urban legend of your supposed ‘destined mate’, which Kellin did. But if you were a male you felt this overwhelming need to find your mate, it was an overwhelming feeling. Kellin guessed it was because there were so few of them so they just took every chance they could to find the one for them.
”Well alright, Quinn it is.” The man said, a bright smile on his face. “I’m Mr. Stump, but you can call me Patrick. It’s nice to have another boy in the class. You can sit in the back for today if you want.”
Kellin felt a wave of relief wash over him and he nodded, making his what towards the back of the classroom, sliding into the hard plastic seat. That’s how the the rest of his classes went, he would walk in late, not nearly as last as before mind you, he would tell them him is different last name, and then he would sit by himself. At least it went like that until lunch. All day he could hear the kids around him talking, bumping into him as they walked down the halls and whispering behind his back. He knew they knew who he was, they knew who his father was, and he hated that. He wanted to be normal, he wanted to be accepted. But no, that didn’t seem to be happening. Bu it just happened to get worse as soon as he found the cafeteria and walked in.
The entire room seemed to stare at him, doms and fertiles alike, and he felt fear rise up in him, his fingers clenching the strap on his messenger bag tightly. His eyes wandered over all of the vampires and his gaze lingered one one table in particular. There were four of them, and one seemed to be a fertile like him. They looked to be around his age, except for one who really caught his attention, and he was more than likely a senior. They were looking back at him, but come on who wasn’t at the moment? Kellin shook off the strange feeling that was overcoming him and moved quickly to an unoccupied table close to the doors.
He didn’t want to attract anymore attention so he stayed frozen in his seat, still holding his bag with all of the little strength he had in his lap. He let his eyes wander again and he found himself staring at the older dom again. His friend nudged him and he turned around, and when he did his deep brown eyes locked with Kellin’s. He had a blood bag in his mouth and as he threw it away, Kellin tried to marvel too much at his accuracy, or how the muscles in his arms moved just so under his shirt. Abruptly he stood up, swinging his bag over his shoulders, and he made his way towards the door, obviously with the intention of leaving. Suddenly Kellin jerked slightly in his seat as he felt an extremely harsh tug in his chest and he brought his hand up to rub the spot gently.
His eyes followed the older teen, watching how his long hair brushed his shoulders, and just how well his tight jeans hugged his legs. The tugging was still there, it was like when someone pulled on your and or the sleeve of your clothes, only to take you to something that they swore was so amazing that it couldn’t wait. And then you got there and initially you were so unimpressed or terrified for your life that you just wanted to leave, but then you actually look and it really was that amazing. Kellin was still staring at the older teen before he saw a look of frustration cross his face before he shot Kellin a glare, walking quickly out of the cafeteria.
Kellin was confused to say the least, but he didn’t get to ponder much more on the look before a body slid into the seat across from him, leaning across the surface with a big smile across his face. “Hey there. You’re new here, right? Hey. I’m Matt Mullins, but you can call me Matty, everybody does. What’s your name?” He spoke fast and he jerked his hand out in front of him, holding it out for Kellin to shake, which he did, cautiously. He looked nice enough, despite the sides of his head being shaved, the large gauges and the jean jacket with the sleeves ripped off that made him look like the stereotypical bad boy. At least he had a nice smile.
”I’m Kellin Quinn. But you can call me Kellin, everybody does.” He said softly with a small smirk on his face, the sarcastic remark escaping his lips before he could stop them. His eyes widened and he was about to apologize before Matty threw his head back and laughed, a grin stretching across his face. Kellin felt himself relax as he realized that he wasn’t going to smacked around or anything for going around and being a smart ass.
”I like you Kellin. You seem cool. What class do you have next?” Matty asked, sliding over so he was sitting next to Kellin instead of across from him. Kellin got out his schedule and it was quickly ripped out of his hands so the ginger could look it over. “Oh sweet, we have music together. It’s after this. I can show you around if you want?” He offered, handing the piece of paper back to the boy. When Kellin nodded he smiled. “Awesome.”
There was an awkward pause before Kellin spoke up. “Why are you talking to me? How come you aren’t talking behind my back like everyone else? And why are all of the doms here actually nice? How come I haven’t gotten shoved into a locker or taken out behind the school an beat up?”
At Matty’s horrified look he felt himself shrink back a little. “Why the hell would a dom beat you up? Kellin, I don’t know what the hell you were taught where ever you’re from, but here that’s strictly forbidden. No dom can ever hurt a fertile without some sort of repercussion, especially if they are mated. And the thing about talking about you? I think you’re cool Kellin, I’ve already said this. I know who your dad is, hell we all do, but I could care less about politics and all that crap.” He explained, reaching over to grab Kellin’s hands. “You’re safe here. You might get a few dirty looks or a couple nudges, but no dom would ever put you in harms way. Now this may sound bad, but fertiles aren’t exactly restricted by many laws, so if one tried to hurt you they could get away with it rather easily. Luckily we aren’t exactly granted much strength.”
Kellin felt himself sag, a faint smile reaching his lips. “Oh thank god.” He said just as the bell rang, signalling the end of the period.
”Now, come on. I’ll show you to our next class.” They both stood up and Matty, true to his word, showed him the way to his next classes. Actually he showed him the way to all of later classes as well, pointing him in the right direction and telling him all of the shortcuts that he knew about. He made it to all of his afternoon classes on time, and he noticed a few more male fertiles and then before he knew it, school was over.
Grabbing his bag off the floor, he made his way out of the classroom and towards the front doors, wondering how long it would take him to get home if he walked. Humming softly to himself, Kellin practically power walked all the way home, only slowing down to cross the street or let someone pass by. As soon as he hit the walk way leading the dark looming house he slowed to a more natural pace. He could feel his nervousness rising again, more rapidly this time around and he couldn’t do anything to calm himself down. He hesitantly walked up the porch steps, and before the could reach for the doorknob the front door was yanked open, shining light on the large man at the door and the disorder that lay behind him.
”You’re late.”