Status: First story! Hope you enjoy :)

Sanctuary

"Call Me Hopeless, But Not Romantic"

"I still don't understand what the fuck Niomachian Ethics is," Shane said, slamming his forehead down on her desk. He was sitting in her wooden chair, a pile of flashcards sitting in front of him. This was hour number....three....that they had been studying. The first test of the year was the following Monday, and in a surprising show of humbleness, Shane had approached Taryn for help.

"Just remember Aristotle. And how moral principles are a part of everyday life," Taryn said, leaning against her bedframe. In the weeks following Shane's party, they had resumed...well, whatever their relationship had become. Flirty friendship, she supposed. He still liked to push her buttons, and for once, she had become quite comfortable at pushing right back.

"This is hopeless," he sighed, grabbing his phone to answer a text.

"No, it's not. You're a biology major," she scoffed. "This class is a prerequisite. How are you struggling so hard right now?" She playfully poked his toned bicep.

"Because it's not science. I don't get it." He looked up at her innocently.

"You're the most backwards person I've ever met," she said, organizing her binder and sliding it into her backpack. She glanced at the clock. It was 11:30, much later than she had hoped for. She yawned. And to think she still had a research proposal to write.

He zipped up his backpack, standing up and stretching. "Thanks for the help, New Girl."

"It's been over a month. I think I've earned a better nickname now."

"Absolutely not," he said with a smirk. "It sets you apart." She didn't exactly want to know who it set her apart from. The beautiful girls that were running through his mind that very second, perhaps?

In yet another surprising show of compassion, he must've noticed her hesitation. "Hey. I mean it. You helped a lot."

"Sure," she said quietly, training her eyes down at her feet. Oh, God. Here it was. She was resorting to that again. It pissed her off that he was the only one at Brighton so far that was capable of making her do that.

He took a step closer to her, placing his hand gently on her hip. Her heart jumped at his touch. She stared into his eyes, pursing her lips and daring him to say something else.

"I mean it. Thank you," he said, his voice dropping to a near whisper as he held his face mere inches from hers. She bit her tongue, pushing away the questions clouding her mind.

He leaned in, planting a soft kiss on her lips. She kissed him back, placing her hands on his chest and leaning back onto the bedframe. Ugh. Why was he so ridiculously attractive? Her stomach catapulted over and over, her pulse racing as he pulled away.

"See you later," he said as he turned for the door. As he pulled open the door, Hallie bustled in, her bag half open and papers nearly spilling out onto the floor.

"God, I hate the library," she gasped, exasperated. She didn't notice Shane until she looked up and glanced at Taryn's pursed lips. She blushed, clearly embarrassed by her less-than-graceful entrance.

"Hi. I'm Hallie, Taryn's roommate."

"Yeah, she's mentioned you. I'm Shane. Nice to meet you." And with a polite nod, he left.

Taryn nodded, watching him leave and biting her bottom lip. She hated him for making her so unsure of herself. Then again, she wasn't quite sure she wanted to let him go yet. He kept things interesting, that was for sure.

"Taryn?" Hallie inquired, raising her eyebrows knowingly at her roommate.

"What?" Taryn asked cluelessly, lying back on her pile of throw pillows. "Oh. That. Yeah. We were studying."

Hallie nodded, clearly trying to be a better friend and accept what Taryn had said at face-value. Taryn looked at her, watching as she straightened the pile of paper in her bag.

"Seriously. Nothing happened," Taryn laughed, letting out a large breath. "He kissed me, but...that was all. I promise."

"Wait, what? A kiss? What is that supposed to mean?" Hallie asked, stripping off her hoodie and jeans. She slid on a pair of shorts and a loose t-shirt.

"I don't know. I don't really want to, to be honest."

"Fair enough. Totally glad I wasn't here to third-wheel," she joked as she grabbed her shower caddy. "I'm gonna go get ready for bed. I'll be back." She turned for the door, disappearing as quickly as she had come in.

Taryn sighed, rubbing her tired face. Her mind was still buzzing from Shane, and it didn't take her long to realize that she recognized that feeling. She hadn't felt it for a while, but he had brought it back. Interesting.

***

"So we're having something at Parker's house this weekend," Maggie said, browsing the clothes rack. They were in a cozy boutique downtown, quite pricey for local students but chump change for someone like Maggie. This was the third store they'd hit since starting downtown nearly an hour ago."You should totally get that hot RA of yours to come."

"That's wrong on so many levels," Taryn laughed, stretching her feet and leaning against a floor length mirror on the wall. "I'm sure he has better things to do than be invited to parties by one of his residents."

"Why? You said yourself he's totally preoccupied with the girls that work in your building. Convince him that there's a better offer." She grabbed a slim black dress of a hanger and draped it over her arm.

"Who, you?" Audrey scoffed. "No offense, Mag, but he kinda seems like an alpha male. I feel like you guys would totally clash."

"Not necessarily," Jocelyn offered. She sat near Taryn's feet, checking her reflection in the mirror. "He might just be one of those guys with a weird Napoleon complex or something. Just get into his head."

"Yeah. Which I can't do if I never see him outside of my friend's dorm hallways," Maggie said, sliding into a dressing room and talking through the curtain. Taryn smiled at that. She liked that Maggie considered her a friend now. She had always sort of been intimidated by her, but she had come to learn that Maggie was actually a really good person. Just sort of intense sometimes. And definitely very sure of herself and what she wanted.

"I can try," Taryn said. Maggie pulled back the curtain, stepping out in a little black dress. She frowned at her reflection.

"It's too tight through my chest," she complained. "And my hips look huge."

"Maggie," Audrey scolded. "That looks so amazing on you."

"Eh. It's alright," she retaliated, sidling back behind the curtain. "This store's not really my thing. Let's hit up Josie's."

Jocelyn shot Taryn and Audrey a look as they contemplated another four blocks' walk to the next clothing store. Maggie raised her eyebrows as she exited the dressing room, and the girls dropped their expressions. They bowed their heads, following Maggie out of the store with Taryn in tow. Alpha female, indeed.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 14! Trying to really develop Taryn's relationship with her girl friends and roommate, as opposed to spending too much time dwelling on boys. Because I really don't want this story to turn into that.

Anyway, thanks for reading, and thank you to all of my lovely subscribers! If you're just catching up with everything, please feel free to comment, subscribe, and recommend! Much love <3

Song: 'Call Me Hopeless, But Not Romantic' by Mayday Parade