Status: First story! Hope you enjoy :)

Sanctuary

"She Whispers To Me, 'I Was Meant To Be Free'"

"Let's go out to lunch this weekend," Hallie said sweetly, squeezing Taryn's arm. Finals were now two weeks away, leaving only fourteen days for everyone to hang out and wrap up any loose ends before they were all separated for three months.

"Okay, that sounds nice," Taryn said with a small smile. She tucked her journal into her drawstring bag, pulling it shut and throwing it over her shoulders. "I'll see you later, okay?"

And just like that, Taryn was gone, leaving Hallie alone for what felt like the millionth time that week. She picked up her phone, dialing Parker's number.

"Hey, Sexy," he picked up with his sultry voice. "What's up?"

"Hey, so Taryn's gone again."

His voice returned to normal, if not slightly higher-pitched. "Again? Man, she must be busy."

"Yeah, so how the hell am I supposed to plan her birthday party if she's never here?"

"Well, isn't that the point? She's not supposed to know, right?"

"Yeah, I guess not. I invited her out to lunch Saturday. So instead I'll just walk her to the clearing. You guys all know what to bring, yeah?"

"Of course. Matt and Audrey and I are going out later to get some snacks and decorations and stuff. And I think Jocelyn called Shae and he's in charge of getting presents on behalf of all of us."

"Perfect. Here's hoping things go smoothly."

"They will, babe. Don't worry your pretty little head."

***

"So there's no solution?" Shae asked, squinting down at his textbook. He and Danielle sat at a table outside the science buildings, cramming for upcoming finals.

"I don't think so," Danielle asked, biting the end of her pencil and flipping through the pages of her history book.

"Well, that's reassuring," Shae teased.

"Hey, I'm not a math person. You got yourself into this," Danielle laughed, scribbling a phrase in the margins of her notebook.

"Well, it's not my fault my tutor bailed the last six times." He frowned dramatically over at her.

"Ouch, maybe you were just too much of a dumbass for her to handle."

"Shut up," he said, throwing a crumpled piece of paper at her.

"Hey guys," Shane said, lowering himself down at their table. Kylie stood behind him, smiling politely. "How's the finals push?"

"Sucky, as always," Danielle said with an eye roll. She eyed Kylie warily. "Where's Taryn?"

"I don't know," he said, shrugging. "Haven't seen her in a while. Not since I introduced her to Kylie."

"Oh," Shae said. He and Danielle had both assumed Taryn had been with Shane. They hadn't seen her much lately, either.

"Anyway, I just wanted to know if you guys were going to her birthday thing. Her roommate messaged me this morning and asked if I wanted in."

"Yeah, we'll be there," Shae said, nodding. He quickly glanced up at Kylie, then back at Shane. "I'm sure she'd love to have you there."

"Sweet. We'll be there at noon," Shane said with a smile, grabbing Kylie's hand as he stood up. Shae and Danielle watched, waving politely as the two walked away.

"Sooo….when did that happen?" Danielle asked, her eyebrows furrowed in confusion as she looked after Shane and Kylie.

"A few days ago, maybe? I don't know, I'm totally lost at this point." He threw his pencil down, rubbing his temples and sighing.

"That's definitely not a good sign."

"No. No it's not."
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 50!!

WOW. Ok, so I never imagined this story would make it this far, but it did! And there's only a few more chapters left!

Thanks so much for reading! Feel free to comment, recommend, and subscribe!

Song: 'A Light on a Hill' by Margot & The Nuclear So-and-So's