Infected

Chapter 4

Kyle Taylor

"Zombie." He repeated. He stared at me wide eyed. "What are you talking about?" He practically yelled. I could see the panic on his face. "I told you, you could have done something with your life. If you wanted to die you should have just killed yourself instead of coming here. The disease that Dr. Taylor inserted into you is some sort of virus he has been studying for years. It's going to kill most of your brain cells and cause a chemical unbalance in your brain. It will cause hallucinations and a sense of cannibalism and paranoia. You have basically sold you soul to Dr. Taylor." His mouth gaped open and I could see that his tongue was starting to turn black. "What else?" He asked. "What do you mean what else?" I asked. He shook his head. "Look around! These people look hundreds of years old! Why?" He started crying again. I truly felt bad for the kid. I felt bad for all the people in there. They weren't expecting this my father told them there were only a few side effects. "I don't know. It rots your flesh and basically breaks down your body little by little. You'll age a bit faster too. It really all depends on how your body takes the disease. You're going to get a horrible fever while your body tries to fight it off, that will also weaken you and it will help the disease spread much easier." He looked horrified as I fed him this new information. He pulled his arm back through and fell to his knees. The other pushed him against the fence to get around him to me. Some of them stared at me with their mouths open as if trying to tell me to let them out. "Dad feeds you regularly so you won't eat each other." I said looking at them but talking to Byron. "Is there any way to undo this?" He asked looking up at me. The whites of his eyes were starting to turn a dark color. "Unless my dad can find a cure there will be no way." I told him. Tears continued to poor down his face. "Do they know what is going on?" He asked looking up at them. I shrugged. "Depends. After so many years, that is if they make it, then no. The disease will eat your brain cells. If you live through this for at least two years then you'll become oblivious to the things around you. Your hunger will grow strong and it will be like you're trapped inside yourself." "How long will I last?" He asked me. I shrugged again. "Well, the disease isn't spreading through you as fast as some so you must have been halfway healthy. You'll be in pain for about another day before you just start to feel numb. It should take at least a week if not a little longer for your skin to start decaying and puss starts to build up under the surface." He looked up at me wide eyed again. "I'm going to turn into them?" He asked. I nodded. "You won't look like them for a couple of months but basically yes. Your eyes have already lost their color and the whites of your eyes are slowly starting to fade into a dark crimson color. Your tongue is turning black and looks sort of like a purple color now. You skin is also loosing it's color it will take a few days for it to loose all of it's color. Oh, and if dad forgets to feed them then they will probably start eating off of you." He stood now pushing a couple of them away. A girl stumbled back and fell hard. Her head hit the ground with a sickening smack. She tried to cry out but black just sprayed out of her throat. Byron screamed at the sight and fell against the fence. he turned sharply towards me. "Please! Let me out! Get me away from here!" He was screaming now. "Help me!" His voice cracked on the last word but he continued screaming as panic took over his body. "Help me!" He cried out again. He locked his fingers around the fence and started to pull. The fence went up at least seven feet and then there was the top. He had no chance of getting out. The door to it had three padlocks keeping it closed. "Don't panic. It helps it spread." I said calmly. He ignored me just screamed and pulled at the fence. I sighed and turned back towards the house. "Don't leave me!" He cried out. I heard the countless moans and noises coming from the others as they too begged me to stay. "I'm sorry." I told him before closing the back door behind me. I walked towards my room having to pass by dad's office. "Kill them yet? I heard screaming." I stopped and looked up at him. I felt emotionally drained. All of those people out there in my back yard suffering and wishing to die. I couldn't kill them though. It would put them out of their misery but if dad found a cure then that would give them back their life. "No." I whispered before I started back towards my room. I heard dad chuckle but I ignored it. I was already so drained. I kicked my door shut behind me and fell on my bed. I slung my arm over my face and wished for sleep. I would have to pick up Iris from school but I'm sure I would be up by then. I pulled my phone out of my pocket and looked at it. It was only nine. I sat my phone beside my pillow and spread out into a comfortable position. Slowly I aloud myself to let go of the stress and I calmed myself down. I didn't realize how absolutely exhausted I was until now. I closed my eyes and drifted off.