Infected

Chapter 5

Iris Maston

I sat in my desk with my head in my hands as my history teacher dragged on and on. I felt uneasy about yelling at Kyle this morning but sometimes I just get so frustrated with him. I scribbled a random shape on my notebook hoping to get my mind off of this morning. It looked like a small blob on the page, something not of much importance. I tried shading it and it just looked like a bad scribble. I gave a frustrated sigh and slammed my pen down and pressed both my hands against my forehead and pushed my hair back. I stared down at the paper taking in as much detail of it as I could. "Miss Maston, is there something you'd like to share with us?" I looked up at Mr. Connors. "No, sir." I said trying to hide the edge in my voice. He looked taken back by my tone of voice. "Watch your attitude, young lady." He warned. I turned my face to stone to hide my emotion. "Yes, sir." I said in monotone. He gave me a stern look before turning back to the board and pointing at some of the notes. "As I was saying." He said a bit loudly. I sighed again and looked down at my phone. I had one more hour left of school. I had seventh hour with Kyle. Maybe I could apologize then. I looked back down at my phone and started to text Kyle. "Miss Maston! You have just decided your going to be a handful today haven't you?" I looked up at my teacher again. I gave him a hard glare now. "You can glare and pout all you want. Bring me your phone." He said holding out his hand. I stared at his hand for a moment then looked down at my phone then back to his hand. "I have to go." I said. "Excuse me?" He asked taking a step. I picked up my notebooks and pen and stuffed them in my back. "I'll see you Monday, Mr. Connors." I stood and swung my bag over my shoulder then walked out. "Excuse me, Miss Maston! Get back here!" I ignored him and stormed out of the classroom. "You will have detention!" He hollered. "Monday!" I yelled over my shoulder. I heard the class room door shut then heard him yelling at the class. I rolled my eyes and walked into the bathroom. I hopped up on the counter and sat there with my phone in hands. 'Kyle, I'm sorry about earlier. Can we talk soon.' I sent the text not able to wait the next thirty minutes alone in the bathroom. I put my head back in my hands and sat there for a moment trying to just catch my breath. I was frustrated, tired, and worried. I knew I was overreacting as I always do but I couldn't help it. My phone dinged and I looked down. I opened the text from Kyle. 'Hey I'm not at school right now but if you need me too I can come and get you. Don't worry about earlier I've already forgotten about it.' A sense of relief washed through me and I calmed down. 'Thank you. Yeah, will you please come pick me up I just got detention from Mr. Connor and I walked out of his class room. I need you right now.' I wrote him back and waited. It was true. I needed him to talk to. I needed him for reassurance in everything I do. I needed him to just finish off this day. My phone dinged again and I picked it up off my lap. 'I'm on my way'. I smiled and hopped off the counter and walked out of the bathroom. Today might just be alright.