Infected

Chapter 7

Byron White

The smell of rotting flesh was overwhelming in this heat. I was frying in my long black jacket but I refused to take it off. It almost gave me a sense of comfort in all of this. I could feel the sun beating against my back as I sat on the filthy ground leaning against the chain link fence. Every so often a soft breeze would blow by but it wasn't anything to help. The girl I had knocked over early was still lying in the same spot unmoving. I had finally calmed down enough to look at her. She wasn't dead but black ooze was slowly leaking form the corner of her mouth. Her chest continued to rise and fall very gently as I stared at her. Her skin had a yellow hue to it and it looked like snake skin. Pieces of it were pealing away from her body and her hair was matted and thinned out. Her clothes were covered in dirt and were ripped in various places. A cold chill ran down my spine as I realized that at some point I too would turn out to look like her. By all means she should be dead. Both of her eyes were just solid black and her lips were purple and cracked. I couldn't even tell if she had eyebrows or not, the wound on her forehead was infected and the skin had been torn away from it almost touching one of her eyes. I couldn't tell but I was pretty sure she didn't have any eyelashes either. "It's a horrendous sight isn't it?" I looked over to see Dr. Taylor standing in the shadows of the doorway. I glared at him and he simply smiled back at me. "You did it." He said leaning back casually against the wall. "I did not, you did this." Venom dripped in my words. Dr. Taylor's face was calm and his emotions were hidden. "Sure, I injected them at their own will but you, Byron, you almost ended her life. Look at her, she wishes she was dead." I glanced back over to her quickly then locked eyes with him again. "Go ahead, I think you should put her out of her misery." He had a curious look on his face now. My glare sharpened. "I will do no such thing." Dr. Taylor laughed now. "Why? She's practically already dead." "Because of you!" I yelled. I started to get up slowly. Pain shot through my body with every movement. My throat was dry and burning but my anger was also burning. "You did this! You did this to all of us! We will die! You're not even really looking for a cure!" He started towards me but I felt like I could claw through the fence and tear his face apart with my nails. Anger pulsed through my veins and my breathing became heavier. "At your will." He told me standing directly in front of me now. "You did this to your self. I told you a couple of things that would happen some of the side effects. You willingly aloud me to inject you hell, you even held your sleeve up." "You didn't tell me shit! You told me I would be sick and I would hurt! That's it! You never told me I would become a zombie." A smile played on his lips as my anger continued to grow. I linked my fingers in the chain, partly to hold myself up but mostly to stop myself from swinging at him which would be pointless. "You're all dead, Byron. The moment the poison started to flow through your body was the moment you died. You still have a chance though, if I could find a cure within a month you would more than likely live. The others however are just here to die now." He turned and started back for the house. "Oh, and by the way, feeding time is soon." He said over his shoulder before he shut the back door. I sighed heavily and looked over to the girl. She stared blankly into the sky. I looked around now and seen an old pile of wood. I stumbled over to it and picked up a heavy board then stumbled back to the girl. I grimaced at the sight of her and guilt was already setting into the pit of my stomach. I lifted the board above her face and squeezed my eyes shut. The board fell from my hands and I fell with it. "This doesn't mean you win."