Sick

Empty Faces

A flash of lightening flickered across a rumbling dark sky, followed shortly after by the loud crash of thunder. Rain was pouring down in harsh sweeps, pelting the ground, buildings, anything that was in the way. A thin figure was trudging through this mess, screaming out a name over and over, face ghostly pale, eyes large and seeking, short, brown hair plastered to the top of their head.

They were relentless in their desperate search, calling out, looking down every alley, every side street, chest heaving in a frenzied attempt to remain calm. Exhaustion was wearing down on this person, a chill was already coursing its way through their body, a perma-cold setting in.

The night had been long and hard, an unforgiving one, and only a few hours ago, everything had been warm, peaceful. Why the hell did this have to happen? Why was everything so broken? Nothing was ever how it seemed, and this only hurt even more. Did she ever truly love him? Or were they at a constant war? No matter how much they put in, everything burst apart and spilled out, like the crushed innards of a dead animal.

His heart ached as his worn voice called out again, raspy and tired, that wave of fatigue swallowing him up, drowning him. He was shivering horribly now, his teeth chattering relentlessly, and he found he couldn't scream anymore, his throat tattered and sore. His long arms wrapped around themselves as he continued to search, he wouldn't be able to forgive himself if he gave up.

Taking in a deep, shaky breath, he called out one more time, his voice surprisingly picking up strongly over the cacophony of the storm. That's when he heard a receiving answer... faint, but there; weak, but definitely there. He screamed again, her name that rolled so easily off of his tongue. There was another reply, and he began to charge toward the sound of her voice. Thunder crashed angrily over his head, and the rain seemed to thicken and pour even harder onto his face, practically blinding him.

That's when he saw her, huddled and sitting on a curb, her form nearly wrapped within itself. He ran up to her, wrapping his arms around her shoulders and burying his face into the mass of wet hair that clung to her shoulders and neck. Closing his eyes, he breathed in her faded scent of roses, and smiled inwardly with relief.

"Come on, let's get out of this storm," he whispered, like a soft hum, warm and inviting. No matter how much they hated each other, they were fated to be together, because every time, they forgave one another. He could never truly be angry at her. Not for long.

With a gentle nod of her head, quietly, she murmured, "Okay." And both figures stood up, drenched and shivering and ready to head back to their home, to their little hellish nightmare that waited, like a hungry wolf ready to sink its teeth into them.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm starting fresh with a new story. I'd like to update this at least once a week, but we'll see, life is pretty busy for me in the summer time. :)
Anyway, I hope this is enjoyed!
~ Brittbutt

Disclaimer: I don't own anything except the story and any original characters.