Status: On hiatus!

Inside the Fire

Prologue

The entrance hall was lit only by torch light, the soft warm glow of the fire cast shadows dancing across the ancient stone walls as hundreds of students trotted into the Great Hall for the start-of-term feast.

Like usual, the ceiling was a blank stormy black sky. Candles floated in the air, lighting the Hall for everyone. Ghosts swam through the sea of candles greeting their living friends.

Draco watched the Golden Trio sit at the Gryffindor table and be immediately surrounded by dozens of friends. He straightened his prefects badge and nodded, pretending to hear Pansy’s incessant flirting.

Crabbe and Goyle sat to his right, the idiots yammering on about something Draco wasn’t even bothering to pretend to hear.

Draco had just resigned himself to a boring evening when Professor Grubbly-Plank burst through the doors guiding two dozen terrified first years behind her. McGonagall followed up the rear carrying the old sorting hat and stool. Lining up in front of the staff table they parted to let McGonagall through.
Draco tuned out the rest, it was the same old song and dance every year. The hat would sing and then they’d divvy up the terrified lot amongst the four houses. As usual, he recognized all of the kids put into Slytherin and as usual, every time someone was sorted into Gryffindor his friends would yell ‘boo’ loudly.

He was really done with the humdrum of Hogwarts, with everything really. He hadn’t had a good summer at all. Ever since the Dark Lord had risen, the man had been staying at the Malfoy manor. Draco had seen so many terrible things he wasn’t sure he’d ever get a full night of rest ever again. Every time he closed his eyes, he’d see Nagini eating someone whole or one of his relatives using the crucio or killing curse on someone.

Picking on non-purebloods or anyone who showed a bit of weakness had been one thing but murder was another. What had happened to Cedric had crossed the line for him, a bully he might’ve been but he was starting to think he wasn’t as purely evil as everyone including himself thought.
For all the mocking and sarcasm he put out into the world, he didn’t want to be a bad guy anymore. Of course, he’d never tell anyone that. He ruled the House of Slytherin and he did still enjoy power.

Maybe when the time was right, he’d manage to switch sides. He just had no idea how he’d do it without forfeiting his life…without his father or the Dark Lord killing him.

“Now for the transfer,” McGonagall coughed and Viktor Krum stepped forward. The girls around the hall clapped loudly, even Pansy drew in a sharp breath.

Draco had gotten to know the boy over the summer; his family had moved in with his, death eaters like his parents, they wanted to be closer to the Dark Lord.

He hadn’t talked to him much though, Viktor was either playing quidditch or locked in the Malfoy Library.

Nonetheless, the quidditch star was sure to be placed in Slytherin.

McGonagall gestured for him to sit on the stool. Viktor raised an eyebrow at her and sat down anyways. His large body dwarfing the stool. With a loud snap , the stool broke underneath him.

“Sorry,” Viktor whispered in his thick accent with a scowl. No one dared to laugh.

McGonagall sighed, “It’s quiet alright dear, I should’ve known it would happen. Just kneel.”

Viktor kneeled as the hat was placed on his head, looking as grumpy as usual.

Everyone one looked on in wonderment, the sorting didn’t take long, the hat screamed, “Gryffindor!”

The Gryffindor table cheered and Viktor gave a rare smile nearly running to sit next to Hermione Granger, earning the mudblood hateful stares from the rest of the female population of Hogwarts. Hermione, sadly, looked shocked and uncomfortable.

House elves quickly gathered the broken stool parts and ran out of the hall as the Slytherin’s stared at Viktor in shock. They had all thought the same as Draco.

Pansy shook her head next to him, “A pity.”

Then Dumbledore rose from his golden pew and began his speech, “To our newcomers. Welcome!”

The Hall cheered, clapping for the first years, then Dumbledore continued, “I’d like to welcome back our returning students! As well as Professor Grubbly-Plank for returning as our Care of Magical Creatures teacher and to Professor Umbridge,”

Dumbledore gestured to a very toad-like woman in a ghastly hot pink cardigan, “who is joining us from the Ministry of Magic, she will be our new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, I’d like to—“
Umbridge stood up and walked in front of the staff table, interrupting Dumbledore, “Headmaster Dumbledore, thank you for those kind words of welcome! On behalf of the Ministry, I’d like to say how delighted I am to work here and help mold your fragile minds.”

The Hall got eerily quiet.

Draco nearly choked on his spit at that, Fragile minds?

People had strange grimaces on their faces across the hall, unsure of what to make of the lady.

“After the events of last year,” Umbridge coughed. “The Ministry believes it wise to take a more active stance in your education and—“

Crack

Umbridge was blow back as a giant fireball exploded into existence, unconscious. Cinders burst
around the room like stars in the sky. Mcgonagall ran to aid the fallen woman.

The fireball was gigantic and licked at the night sky ceiling, it burned hot and the room rose in temperature steadily, causing the ghosts to vacate the Hall.

The rest of the teachers rose in alarm as screams reverberated against the stone walls of the wall. It wasn’t the crowd screaming in shock, it was coming from within the fire.

Dumbledore gestured for them to stay back and approached the fire with caution. Despite all the hate his family had drilled into his head all his life about Albus Dumbledore, he had to respect the power of the man.

The crimson fire, began to dissipate and the visage of a girl appeared within. A teenage girl was curled into a little ball within the fire. Wrapped only in a black shawl, she clenched her eyes shut. Her legs and face, the only parts of her body visible, were one second covered in severe burns and the next healing into soft, smooth skin. Her dark, wavy hair completely unscathed, hung in a disarray.

Dumbledore immediately took off his gigantic cloak and covered the girl, not a second’s hesitation about damaging the expensive gold and jewel-inlayed cloak, “Prefects, guide your houses to their respective dormitories! This instant!”

He looked to the teachers, “Someone get Madam Pomfrey now.”

Professor Sprout ran out of the hall, faster than anyone had seen her move.

Being the prefects of Slytherin House, Pansy and Draco led their house out of the hall and back to the Slytherin dormitories.

Draco’s gray eyes drifted toward the girl, he had feeling where she had come from and why she was here.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment and let me know what you think!!! They make my day :]

Any ideas on side pairings?

My other stories:

Dragons and Wolves (A Song of Ice and Fire/A Game of Thrones Daenerys/Jon Snow Fanfic)
Alatara the Blue (An LOTR Aragorn/OC Fanfic)
The End is Near (An LOTR Legolas/OC Fanfic)
Curse of the Empath (An Inheritance Cycle/Eragon Murtaugh Fanfic)
Demons and Spiders (An Avengers Loki/Black Widow Fanfic)