Should I tell You A Secret?

Two to Mingle

"How long had it been?" Graven asked nervously while he looked through his drawers. I really didn't want to answer, because mentioning Penny will make me sick. I haven't spoken to her since last week's incident. I don't even see her in school anymore, and we have two classes together.

"We haven't talked to each other for six days," I sighed and watched him get ready quickly for school.

"Stop being pathetic and talk to her," He said with harshness in his voice, "She's your girlfriend." It pained him to say it. Even if we weren't officially together, I can still tell we have feelings for each other. He just wont admit it. And he always kept mentioning Penny and hurting himself.

"I don't want her to be my girlfriend," I admitted softly. Graven paused slightly and shuddered, making his skin go pearly white. He avoided my eyes and continued putting on his clothes and getting ready for school. No, we didn't do anything, I just came early in the morning to pick him up. "Talk to her," He pleaded, looking at me with those violet eyes.

"What do I say to her?"

Graven sighed and pushed his hair away from his face. "Tell her you never meant for it to happen. Tell her it means nothing." I narrowed my eyes at him.

"It meant a lot," I said, "It's true that it came up by accident but there is a reason why my body reacted that way."

"Joshua, you know it's wrong!" He cried out.

"I don't care!" I stormed my way through his messy room so that I could stand face-to-dace with him. "I've never felt this way, Graven. Gender never once came up because I've always been intoxicated by your aura. I always want to be near you, haven't you noticed that?"

"Do you know what people will do to us?" Graven said in a low voice. He looked at me with hurt and soulful eyes. His pink lips turned a pale pink and he said, " They'll skin us alive. They'll beat the love out of us and you know that's until death."

I didn't pay attention to the danger he was telling me about, but I listened to the fact that he loved me to death.

The reporter clapped quietly in excitement as the old man finished this last memory. The old man smiled too, for the memory was the most refreshing thing he has felt so far. Through the deafening noise of the machines the hospital connected to his lover, he could only hear his breathing. It was steady and soft, almost as beautiful as his voice. Everything about this drying man was beautiful. "Did you speak to Penny?" The reporter asked.

The old man nodded and sighed. It was a clear sharp memory he could not get rid of.

"Penny, please, I need to talk to you," I pleaded and followed her, even if she tried to run to get away from me. "It isn't you. So don't blame yourself!"

She stopped suddenly and turned to look at me with the most threatening look cast on her face. "You humiliated me," She hissed and poked my chest, "Now everybody in the Dominican Republic knows I fell for a fagot!"

I stood there, slowly feeling my blood become thicker and harder to pump through my veins. I balled my hands into fists and looked at her with just as much venom. "I am not a faggot. I am in love."

Penny snorted and crossed her arms. "You've only know him for a three weeks, Joshua. And he's a freak too. Have you seen how feminine he looks?"

"Yes, I have. And he's more respectful than you will ever be. You would understand, Penny. If you truly did love me, you would understand," I said. Now it was my turn to walk away from her.

"And we never spoke again," The old man said in a shaky voice while stroking the dying man's hair. "My remaining friends told me that she used me because of my governmental status. My father had been an Italian embassador and her family needed a better status. So she chose me."

The reporter shook her head and sipped her coffee. "Did you tell Graven?"

"About what?"

The reporter hesitated, "Well, about Penny calling him a freak?"

The old man laughed and nodded. "I told him everything," He admitted, "But I reassured him that he was one of a kind. He was the most beautiful creature I could ever lay eyes on and I loved him."

The dying man stirred a little, then settles down. His breathing had slowed, and a smile spread on his face.