Sequel: Glass
Status: Complete

Pieces

Eleven

As predicted, Craig had been inside my apartment. He had purposely left the door propped open just half of an inch. Enough to send me a sign. He was back, and he knew everything about me.

Examining the apartment, I saw that he had sifted through various parts of my room. One thing in particular was the laptop on my bed. I had purposely left it on the desk and the last time I checked, it was off.

"No!" I cried and ran over, opening it to search for any trace of what he was looking for.

Every single piece of information Zack had given me was in a single file. His address, Amber's address, the studio's address. I had every phone number of every person I knew in there. Craig now had all of this information, including where the guys lived. He knew Zack's social security number and driver's license number. He knew every single detail about me and my life in Huntington.

"Oh God," I cried and hunched over, unable to look at the screen any longer.

"You shouldn't have left Vegas," A chilling voice spoke and I turned around.

Craig appeared from the shadows of my closet. He was dressed in an Armani suit, fitted to fit him perfectly. He approached me slowly, "Do you remember the day we met, Violet?" He asked.

How could I forget? His security team at one of his clubs had caught me drinking underage. I was a senior in high school, starting the new year off with a bang. I was dragged to his office where he had found something interesting within me.

"Yes," I answered softly.

"You were so wild and untamable," He chuckled, "Like a wild stallion, just waiting to be broken," He added and I cringed, looking away from him, "You made a deal with the devil," He reminded me, "Do you remember how you sold your soul to me?"

"I'll make you a deal, Ms. Kennedy," Craig's dazzling blue eyes were filled with excitement.

"And what deal is that?" I questioned, a smirk on my face as I placed my hands on his hips. His lips twitched in a smile.

"Accompany me to the grand opening of Club Envy this weekend. If you promise to behave, I won't tell the authorities you snuck into my club and drank underaged," He stated and I raised an eyebrow at him, "It'll be fun, I promise. Besides, you don't want your school to find about about this, do you?" He asked, "Aren't you just a senior in high school, just dying to graduate?"

"Fine," I gave in, "But you're buying me a new dress," I smirked.

"Stick with me, and I'll buy you everything there is to offer," He smiled.

That didn't seem like a bad idea to me.


"Do you remember how you taunted me? How you weaved your way into my life?" He leaned forward, his breath hot on my neck, "You had the life you always wanted, Violet. You had everything a girl could ask for."

"I asked for a good life, not a man who beat me," I spat and he pushed me roughly, standing up to distance himself from me.

"You can't always get what you want, Violet. I gave you the world!" He exclaimed, "I gave you all the clothes, the dresses, the house, the fame!" He reminded me, "You were the most envied girl in the town. You were going to marry me!" He yelled and I cringed.

"People change!" I argued, "I'm not that girl anymore, okay? I'm different and I don't want you back in my life!" I told him.

He wrapped his hand around my neck, pulling me up off the bed. The tips of my toes barely grazed the wooden floor beneath me, barely steadying me as I became lightheaded from the lack of oxygen, "You ruined me, Violet. You ruined everything I tried to give you. If you think you can take what you want and leave without giving anything in return, you're due for a reality check," He snapped and tossed me to the floor.

"I don't understand how I did something so wrong," I choked out and he glared.

"Do you think it looks good for pictures of my naked fiancee to get leaked all over Vegas?" He asked, "I am the heir to the most powerful family in the city, Violet! And with that stunt you pulled, we lost over half out investors. We were almost bankrupt because of you!" He hissed.

"That wasn't my fault!" I snapped and he quickly kicked his foot into my rib, "You could have done something to fix it!"

"I did try to fix it!" He yelled, "I was trying to fix everything when you decided to take off! Do you know what that did to us? We had to lie about everything! You left and the whole town thought I had something to do with it."

"You did have something to do with it!" I screamed, "You just didn't want the world to know that you completely tortured me and beat me!"

He was on the ground in front of me, eyes glaring, "You used to be so submissive, Violet," He stated softly, "So willing to bend backwards, just for me. And now look at you. You've grown into this fighting warrior of sorts. Is that what Zack has created of you?" He asked and I cast my eyes downward.

"I told you I changed," I started lowly.

"I can't find anyone to replace you, Doll. None of them are as beautiful as you, or daring, or exciting," He growled in my ear, "And you will have to eventually come back. You're not meant for this life, Violet."

I was starting to believe him. Who was I trying to pretend around Zack? I was a whore. I lied to him. I lied to everyone. My entire life was a lie. I was nothing.

"I'm not going with you," I replied, my voice shaking and he glared.

"In time you will learn, Pet. And you'll come back. You'll have a month" He announced, "After one month, and you are not making moves to return to my side, I will pay Zack a little visit," He smiled, "And know that I will always be watching."

Craig said nothing more as he stood up, straightened his tie, and left my bedroom. I remained still until I heard my front door slam. Only then did I let myself cry. I hated myself. I hated everything I had done. I hated every part of me before I moved to California. And here I was sobbing, like I was Amber sobbing for Zack.

I suddenly felt angry. If Amber was just like me, then why did she have to be so lucky? Zack loved her. He would never put a hand on her. Why, if we were so similar, was Craig so awful? It wasn't fair that Amber got her cake and ate it too. I'd give everything for Zack.

"Oh, God," I whispered, "I am jealous," I groaned in realization. I was jealous of Amber. I was jealous that Zack loved her so much.

I sighed heavily as I heard my phone ring. I leaned over and reached for it, looking at the caller I.D. It was Matt. I ignored it and set my phone aside, bringing my knees up to my chest. It rang several times before my phone dinged, reminding me that I hd a voicemail. I sighed and picked it up, dialing my own voicemail to hear Matt's voice.

"Vi, I don't know what happened or where you are... But you need to come back to Brian's," He stated and I glanced to the clock. It was just past one in the morning. "Zack's a mess and he keeps asking for you. We can't get him to leave and Michelle is getting frustrated. Please come talk to him, Vi... It's, pretty bad."

I shut my phone and got up. I would have to put my own problems with Craig aside. Right now, Zack needed me. I shouldn't have left like I did. It probably made him feel horrible. I threw on a new sweatshirt before looking into the mirror.

I quickly made moves to cover the bruising purple handprints that were forming around my neck. I covered it with concealer, almost using the entire bottle, before placing foundation and a powder on my neck. With my sweatshirt on it was impossible for anyone to notice anything suspicious.

Satisfied, I tugged on some shoes before grabbing my keys and heading out the door to the car. Craig's car was no where to be seen, and I assumed he left to go to what ever hotel he was staying at. I put all thoughts of him aside as I sped down Pacific Coast Highway, not looking back.

If I couldn't save myself, then I'd at least save Zack.