Sequel: Glass
Status: Complete

Pieces

Twelve

It was nearing two in the morning when I finally reached Brian's house. I was mentally and physically exhausted when I pulled up into the driveway. I got out of the car, walking up the front steps. The door was locked so I knocked, only for Matt to open the door, "Thank God," He breathed.

"What's going on?" I asked and he looked at me skeptically.

"Are you okay? Seriously, Violet. Maybe this should wait. You look exhausted," He noted and I rolled my eyes

"It's two in the morning, Matt. What were you expecting?" I snapped.

He sighed, not convinced that I was alright, and continued, "Amber called him. She confessed to cheating on him. She's almost one hundred percent positive the baby isn't Zack's. But she wanted it to be. She demanded they get married as soon as possible," He explained.

"Oh great," I muttered, "What did he say?"

"He flipped of course. He's really hurt, as bad has he wants to marry her. He's torn. He's been drinking ever since and won't stop crying," He stated and I nodded, pushing past him.

In the living room, Michelle was sitting with Brian. She looked thoroughly upset, as did Brian who was trying to comfort her. I'd be pissed to if a grown man was sobbing in my guest bedroom at two in the morning too, "Everyone stay down here. I'll get him out," I mumbled and jogged up the stairs.

I followed the sounds of his cries until I reached the spare bedroom at the end of the hall. I breathed in deeply and pushed the door to open, but it was locked. I knocked loudly, "Zack, open the door," I ordered.

I got no reply, which led me to knock again, "Listen here, Baker. You better open this door before I get a ladder and crawl through that window. And believe me when I say that when I get in there, you are going to get the worst beating of you life. Open this door now," I demanded.

He once again refused. I huffed and crossed my arms over my chest, "I'm going to count to three. One... two...," The door opened, revealing Zack.

He looked a mess. His eyes were bloodshot and I could smell the whiskey on him. I pushed past him and he shut the door behind me, locking it again. He slumped to the floor near the bed, bringing another bottle to his lips. I reached forward and snatched it out of his hand, setting it aside. I crossed my arms over my chest and huffed.

I had been nice earlier. The only thing left was some serious tough love.

"You better listen good, Zack," I started, my voice strong, "I got out of bed at two in the morning for you. I drove all the way out here because Matt told me you were hurt. Now I don't give a flying fuck what reason it is this time..."

"You don't understand," He choked out.

"I do understand!" I yelled at him, "I understand that this gold-digging bitch is using you. You're letting her control you like a puppet. This bitch has you in the palm of her hands, and you're letting her walk all over you. I came here to get a good job experience, Zack, not become your fucking therapist."

"She's all I have!" He yelled at me, "She's the only one who will love me for me. She takes me for my flaws and all!" He stated, "The guys are different. I can't marry my band," He argued.

I crossed my arms over my chest, pursing my lips, "I've taken your flaws for three months, Zack. I have seen you at your best and at your worst. She's the only one that accepts you!?" I yelled, "Open your fucking eyes, Zack! I've been the one to pick you up when that bitch pushed you down. When she broke you apart, I picked up all of your fucking pieces. So don't tell me I don't understand or I don't care."

"What am I supposed to do?" He asked, his voice reminicent of a child's.

"You're going to get the fuck up and go home. You're going to sleep off all the booze you've had. In the morning, you're going to be a fucking man and get your shit together. You're going to take all of those Prada handbags and Louboutin shoes and throw Amber's ass out where she belongs. You're going to stop paying her rent for that fancy apartment and you're going to tell her to move on. Because you're only clinging to her for support. She's weighing you down, Zack."

"I've always thought she was keeping me afloat," He responded and I got down on the ground with him. I put both hands on his shoulders and looked him in the eyes, "You know, before you came along I had a serious drinking problem," He confessed and I wasn't sure if it was the alcohol talking or if it was the truth, "Amber and I would get so drunk," He laughed, "I didn't even know what was going on half of the time until Brian came to me. He told me he was going to personally shut Vengeance University down if I didn't get my shit together.

"Amber didn't want that. Do you remember the day you came for the interview?" He asked and I nodded, "She stormed out because I was wanted to hire an assistant to distract me from drinking. I knew I could run this company by myself sober," He scoffed, "And she didn't care. She didn't care at all.

"But she never left. She always came back, and I was always grateful for that. I never understood why she would always come back to me."

I was shocked. I knew that Zack had it rough beforehand, but the guys never went into details. I never really knew the entire story until now.

"You're using her as a crutch. She knows this Zack, and she's using you. You won't be happy until you let her go. Trust me," I said softly.

"How would you know?" He asked.

I sighed, "You feel like there's no way out because this person, at one point in time, meant the world to you. You've never felt that way about someone before. It was such an unusual and beautiful high, that you couldn't get enough. Even when things started going downhill, you've grasped onto this idea that you'll once again go back to how things were. You think that maybe in the future, things will happen the way you want them to be... Don't be like that, Zack. Realize that you're only bringing yourself down as much as Amber is. Don't give her the chance. Don't give her the satisfaction of seeing you fall," I stated.

His eyes held so much wonder. So much curiosity. He was wondering how I knew such things about him. He said nothing as he pouted like the child he was before he nodded slowly.

I stood, holding my hand out to him, "Now get your ass up before I have to kick you down the stairs," I stated.

He said nothing as he stood, stumbling a bit. He leaned over to me, wrapping an arm around me as I steadied him. He used me for support as we shuffled out of the room and down the stairs. In the living room, everyone's eyes were wide with shock. Zack was coming willingly, not something they were expecting, "Who has his keys?" I asked and Brian tossed them to me. I caught them with one hand, the other arm still wrapped around Zack's waist, "I'll be back for my car tomorrow," I replied before we turned, walking through the hallway to the front door.

I got Zack in the passenger seat before going around to the driver's side. I turned on the car and backed out of the driveway, heading towards Zack's house. It wasn't far, and Zack was silent the whole time. I knew he was tired, but he was fighting to stay awake to make sure we made it home.

I pulled into the garage and got out. I once again helped him inside and up the challenging stairs before getting him into his bedroom. I was about to let him go when he suddenly turned to me, wrapping his arms around me completely. He engulfed me in the warmest hug I've ever felt. I couldn't stop myself as I hugged him back, taking in the moment.

"Will you stay?" He asked softly.

"Yeah," I muttered, "I'll be across the hall," I told him, my arms not leaving him as I rested my head against his chest.

"No, will you stay with me?" He asked, "Please?"

I expected myself to give more of a fight, honestly. I expected myself to tell him it was unprofessional, or that it was awkward. But we both knew it wasn't.

"Okay," I gave in and he nodded.

He pulled away and pulled his shirt over his head before kicking his jeans off. He threw on a pair of old basketball shorts before unfolding the covers over the bed. I kicked my shoes off, choosing to remain in my leggings and sweatshirt before crawling in beside him.

I didn't cringe as he wrapped his arms around my waist, pulling me towards him like I was his lost teddy bear. Instead I relaxed in his arms. The warmth from his body radiating through me, filling me with a type of comfort I had never experienced before. I put my head on the pillow, letting sleep overcome me.

For the first time in weeks, I slept in peace.
♠ ♠ ♠
Update number two.