Sequel: Glass
Status: Complete

Pieces

Fourteen

Matt and Dan didn't ask any questions as we stepped into my apartment. It was still in tact, proving that Craig hadn't been back. I didn't say anything as I crossed the living room, heading to my room to start packing all my clothes.

Matt watched me as I packed while Dan stood watch in the front door. I didn't care that Matt's' eyes weren't leaving me any time soon, I just wanted to get out. I packed all of my clothes into two suitcases before heading to the bathroom, grabbing everything I needed and tossing it into another bag. I was sure to grab my laptop and anything else I needed, "This will be good for you, Vi," Matt said softly from the doorway.

"How is this good for me, Matt?" I snapped at him.

"You need Zack just as much as he needs you. You two can really learn a lot from each other," He noted and I didn't say anything. I didn't want to bring up Zack.

Deep inside I knew there was something within me that wanted Zack. But I didn't really want him. I don't want to end up like Amber. Or worse- me. I couldn't fall back to that. Zack was better off without me, and that's how it was going to stay. I was gong to help him get over Amber and I was going to find him a nice girl.

I already decided that once Zack was taken care of, I was going to leave again. Vengeance University would be okay once Zack was stable again. When that time came, I would have to move to another town. I thought about New York. Hopefully with experience from Vengeance University I'll be able to get the design job I've always wanted.

All I knew was that I had to get out before any of them found out any more secrets about me. I didn't need them to dig up the skeletons I had buried in my closet. They couldn't find out about the pictures, or that I was once engaged to the most eligible bachelor in Las Vegas. The absolutely couldn't find out my plans to inherit the Stevenson fortune through marriage. I love the guys, and I didn't want them to see me as the gold-digging whore I once was.

"Are you ready?" Matt asked and I nodded.

Dan and Matt took my bags while I sighed, looking around the apartment once more. I had worked so hard for it. I worked hard to become a new person, a changed woman. And now I was back to square one. It was like I was reliving my past all over again.

"You're moving in with him!?" Samantha exclaimed and I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah, and? He lives in the Penthouse at the Venitian. It's amazing," I gushed and she scoffed.

"Don't you think it's strange that you're an eighteen year old living in the most expensive penthouse in Vegas?" She asked.

I turned and smirked at her, "Not when I'm dating Craig Stevenson," I smiled coyly at her and she gave me a glare.

"You're not dating him, Vi. You're having sex with him and letting him show you off in clubs while he buys you what ever you want. You call that a relationship?" She asked and I turned to her, eyes blazing.

"Listen, Samantha, I get that you're jealous because your boyfriend works at the ice cream joint down the street. But don't rain on my parade just because you think it's unfair that I got Craig and you didn't. My relationship my not be like yours, but I like what I have," I snapped.

"You like what he buys you, Violet. Do you even love him?"

"Yes, and he loves me too. You know he's a lot more sensitive than you think. There's a lot more to him than just being a businessman," I retorted and she scoffed.

"Is that what you tell yourself to help you feel better about sleeping with a man almost ten years older than you?" She crossed her arms over her chest.

"Fuck you, Samantha. Stay out of my life and I'll stay out of yours," I spat.


"You coming?" Matt pulled me out of yet another flashback and I nodded, silently following him out to the car. I got in the back seat while they got into the two front seats and we took off. Dan and Matt made small talk as we took the short drive back to Zack's house.

As promised, the rest of Amber's stuff was gone. When we got back to the house a locksmith was leaving, having changed every entryway into the house, "I figured we could use some extra protection," He shrugged, "Someone is coming tomorrow to install an alarm unit."

I always found it odd that Zack never had an alarm system in his house. He explained that when he moved in, he never got around to it. He never really felt the need to have one.

"You don't have to do that, Zack," I muttered and he shook his head, turning to face me.

"If he did that to you," He pointed to my neck, "Then who knows what else he can do. I'm not taking any chances, Vi. I told you that I would protect you," He assured and I nodded, too exhausted to argue. He looked at me sadly, probably realizing just how terrible I looked, "Come here," He whispered and opened his arms.

I could resist. I threw myself into him and wrapped my arms around his middle. He was like a big teddy bear. Like those really big obnoxious ones you win at those cheesy carnivals. He wrapped his arms around me and just let me bathe in his warmth and comfort. That was all I needed right now. I think that's all I ever really needed.

"So," I pulled away feeling much better, "How are you holding up?" I asked. There was so much attention on me and Craig, that I didn't even realize how Zack was doing with the break up.

He shrugged, "It's going to be hard. It hit me today when all of her stuff was packed," He confessed softly and I nodded.

"I'm not saying that you're going to get over her right away, Zack. It's going to take some time. Despite her flaws, I know you guys had a lot of memories together," I reminded him and he nodded, taking in a deep breath.

"I know. Thanks for doing this," He stated, "I really mean it, Vi. I... I don't know how even lasted with her this long," He shrugged and I smiled.

"Don't worry about it. Now let's get some food. I'm starving," I motioned to the kitchen, and he gladly followed me.

-

The guys had left the moment the pizza we ordered was gone. They felt no need to stick around. They had their own lives to get back to. It was weird being in Zack's house. I mean, I was in Zack's house all the time. But it's different when you know you're not leaving. It's different when all of your clothes are hung in the closet of the spare bedroom. Now my bedroom. It was strange.

"You're uncomfortable," Zack noted. I turned to look at him, realizing that I was just sitting on the couch with my arms crossed. I hadn't even made a move to turn on the television.

"It just feels different," I stated and he nodded, taking the open spot next to me.

"I feel like everything is different," He confessed and I agreed. Everything was different. Three months ago I was free of any part of me I had with the past. In three months Zack had completely cut himself off from Amber, invited me to live with him, and was now taking care of me. I was the one who should be taking care of him.

I just felt different about Zack in general. He was someone I felt like I needed to protect. Not protect in a way that he was helping me. I didn't feel like I had to physically protect him from being hurt. I just felt like I needed to protect his heart. He was vulnerable. It's taken me three months to realize that Zack was weak. He fell hard and fast. He may have been a full-grown thirty year old man, but deep down he was just a child desperate for love. I didn't blame him. Every single one of his friends were happily married, and had been for years. He was the only one without that companionship.

"I miss her," He whispered and I put an arm around him.

"I know," I sighed.

"Do you think I'll ever get over her?" He asked, "What if I'm miserable for the rest of my life?" He asked, voice cracking again.

Zack was unpredictable. I don't know how he'd be normal one minute, then sobbing the next. It was hard to keep up with. Sometimes he'd have flashes of anger. Keeping up with Zack was like running a 5k marathon.

"Yes you will," I told him firmly, "You're going to find someone who will love you for you, and not your money. You'll find a girl who will care about you, regardless of the things you can give her. She will love you unconditionally and you will be the greatest thing to ever happen to her."

"I just feel like it'll never happen," He shrugged, "Like I'll die before I ever get that chance."

"Don't say that, Zack," I scolded and he kept silent.

He wanted to be alone. I could tell that much. He got up and silently made his way up the stairs. I remained on the couch, not really sure what to do with myself. I was exhausted and needed sleep. I had slept well for the most part last night in Zack's bed. Maybe, now that I know Zack is just a few feet away from me, I'll be able to finally get some rest.
♠ ♠ ♠
Possibly another update tonight.