Sequel: Glass
Status: Complete

Pieces

Eighteen

"Violet!" Zack screamed and my eyes opened through my sobs. I back away from him, breathing heavily as I recalled one of the worst nights of my life. The night that I knew indefinitely that I was going to run away from Vegas. It was the night I decided to change.

I put my head in my hands and sobbed. I couldn't get the feeling of Craig off of me as I screamed into my hands, unable to wake up in reality.

"Violet!" Zack grabbed my softly and pulled me into him. His hand immediately started to move through my hair soothingly as he rubbed circles on my back. I sobbed into him, unable to do anything else, "Vi, I'm so sorry," He whispered, "Jesus, I'm so sorry."

My sobs subsided until I was just a mess of whimpers. I was frozen and rigid in his arms as I looked up at him, "Why are you sorry?" I asked.

"Because I left you alone. I shouldn't have pushed you away," He stated and tears filled his eyes.

"Hey, why are you crying?" I asked and brought a hand up to wipe a tear away. He closed his eyes and brought hand up to grab my hand that was resting on his cheek.

"Because I don't like seeing you in pain," He confessed.

I was silent, just letting myself calm down in his arms. It was the best way to calm down. Within thirty seconds I had gone from a hysterical mess, to the calmest I've ever felt. I leaned against his chest, just listening to his heart beat.

"Come on. We're not staying in here," He whispered as he stood up, keeping his grip on me. We crossed over into his room.

We didn't curl up and go to bed. We didn't really want to. Despite how calm Zack made me feel, I didn't want to face my nightmares again. Instead I stayed awake, and Zack wrapped his arms around me so I could lean against his chest.

"Zack?" I asked softly.

"Hm?" He mumbled as his fingertips traced circles along my waist. It tickled slightly, but I enjoyed the electricity of his fingertips against my skin.

"Why didn't you want me earlier?" I questioned.

"It's not that I didn't want you earlier, Vi. I always do... I just... I wasn't expecting to feel that way. I was expecting to be excited that he wasn't mine. But for some reason I just felt hurt," He confessed, "I didn't know how to react to that."

"It's okay, Zack. I know you really want kids," I mumbled and he sighed.

"I know. But not with her. It was just a lot to hear at once, you know?" He asked and I nodded, "God, I don't know what I would do without you, Violet."

"I don't know what I would do without you, Zack," I mumbled into his chest. Suddenly he sat upright, using his elbow to hold him up as he looked down at me. His green eyes were intensely staring at me with an expression I couldn't recognize or understand. I raised an eyebrow, "What?" I asked.

He stared intently at me, trying to figure something out. He was biting his lip as he began to think before he finally snapped back to reality, "You've never said that before," He whispered.

"I'm sure I have," I rolled my eyes and he shook his head.

"I would remember," He replied and my eyes locked with his, "I don't care what it takes, Vi. We're going to get Craig out of your life. I'm going to protect you so he can never hurt you ever again."

I smiled through tears, "Thanks, Zack."

-

I slipped out of Zack's arms in the morning to head down to the office. Not only were we behind on orders again, but I had some of my own business to tend to while Zack was still asleep. I logged onto his computer and began to pull up various design agencies I wanted to work with.

I took a deep breath, emailing every single one requesting info on any positions. If I was seriously going to leave Orange County, I needed a job that would pay. The hard part was going to be finding a company that will match my salary. Zack overpaid me by a lot, and it was going to be hard to readjust to a income in an new city.

As I finished up some emails I heard Zack's footsteps echo throughout the house. I scrambled to delete the browsing history and close every tab I had open. I pushed his computer away and straightened up like I had never been there before crossing the hallway towards the kitchen.

He looked a lot better than he did last night. He looked more at ease which was good. We were leaving for Sacramento early in the morning. He needed to have his mind clear in order for him to have a good show, "Hey," He smiled as I pulled out a carton of eggs from the fridge.

"Hey, how are you feeling?" I asked.

"Honestly? Like a weight's been lifted off of me. I'm actually happy," He smiled.

"Good."

"What about you? Were you able to sleep?"

"Yeah. I just needed to be by you, that's all," I joked and he smiled.

"Well if that's what it takes to make them go away, then you won't have to worry about another nightmare ever again."

I wished he was right.