Sequel: Glass
Status: Complete

Pieces

One

"Twenty-four smalls, ten mediums, and seventeen larges," I called out to the next room.

"Got it," Zack yelled back, walking into the living room with a stack of new shirt orders. He set them on the ground and I went straight to folding, placing each order in their correct box before handing it so Zack. We usually worked in an assembly line of sorts, even if it was just the two of us. I packed, he taped. There was nothing to it.

"With this last order, you're sold out of the new Zomby hoodies," I reminded him.

"Shit, I knew I should have made more last week," He groaned. This was a problem for him because it would take us an extra three weeks to get the new hoodies, which meant demands would rise, and he would be forced to place a big 'sold out' sign on his website for the popular jacket. That was something Zack never liked to do.

"I guess it's a good thing I got them made two weeks ago," I huffed, nodding towards the unopened box in the corner. I heard him sigh with relief before turning to me.

"What the hell would I do without you?" He asked. I laughed and turned to him.

"Honestly?" I asked, "Your clothing line would be six feet under. Best keep me around, Vengeance," I grinned from ear to ear, only for him to toss a shirt in my face, "Hey!" I protested and he laughed.

"Hey, want some ice cream? I got Chunky Monkey," He sang and my eyes widened. Chunky Monkey was a delicious combination of banana-vanilla ice cream, walnuts, and dark chocolate pieces and it was heaven. I often couldn't keep a carton in my house longer than a day because I'd eat it without regulation.

"Don't toy with me," I glared.

With that he stood up and walked towards the kitchen. I heard him making a ruckus, which I would surely clean up later, before he returned with two bowls. He handed one to me and I smiled.

"Ugh, I needed sugar," I groaned as I scooped a spoonful into my mouth, "How long have we been at it?" I asked.

"Since lunch?" He looked at his watch, "About eleven hours," He replied nonchalantly and I suddenly realized just how exhausted I was.

"It's one in the morning!?" I shrieked, "And we still have fifteen orders to go," I tossed my self on my side, still clutching my bowl of ice cream.

"You look pathetic," He laughed, "C'mon, the sooner we finish the sooner you sleep. Remember?"

With that we began our routine again. I folded and packed shirts while he taped and placed the shipping labels on the boxes. In the morning I would drop them off at the post office. It was a tradition we did every Friday night, so the packages could be delivered during the week. Zack was never a man for schedules, I learned that as soon as I began working for him. It was one of the problems he had when running his business. Luckily I had gotten him used to it, and now we never miss a single Friday of packing shipments.

We worked in silence, taking breaks to take bites of our ice cream before it melted. The first thing I learned about Zack when working, was that he didn't like conversation unless he initiated it. He didn't like me asking him questions about his life, unless he got to ask me questions first. I think it was something he was used to for being in such a famous band for so long. A security blanket. I didn't blame him. If people were always trying to pry into my personal life, I'd probably be the same way.

"Hey, I've been meaning to ask you," He started as he tossed another package aside, "Next weekend we're headed to Vegas for a convention. I know you have Sundays off, but I was wondering if you could come with us anyways."

"I still work Saturdays, so I don't have much of a choice anyways, do I?" I questioned.

"Nope, you don't," He laughed, "I already booked our hotel room. I hope you don't mind. Management won't pay for your own room," He shrugged and I glanced over at him.

"Is Amber going to be okay with that?" I questioned cautiously and his shoulders tensed. So maybe I shouldn't have asked him that. But I had to.

"I haven't told her. She thinks she's going with me, but I haven't been able to tell her she can't come," He mumbled, "Any suggestions?"

"Buy her a big fancy ring... Oh, wait. You already did," I joked and he glared, but not before a small smile tugged on the corner of his lips. He knew I only meant to poke fun at him, and I wasn't mocking him in anyway. Though sometimes I secretly did, but I would never tell him that.

He sighed heavily, "It's rough. I was thinking about taking her out to dinner. I figured when she mentions the trip I'll tell her that management said she can't come. Besides, the other guys aren't bringing their girls," He paused, "Except for Val."

"Val's always the exception," I laughed. Val was probably the most persuasive woman I've ever met. That girl could convince her husband he was half-ape if she really wanted to. So it was no surprise that she had convinced Avenged Sevenfold's management to let her got o Vegas with them.

"But Amber isn't," He reminded me with a sigh, "She's going to be so pissed," He groaned.

Amber was Zack's fiancee, and definitely not the nicest person I've ever met. Why he still wanted to marry her, I'll never know. But who was I to stop him? Amber was always out with other guys, and she always claimed they were just friends from high school. I wondered if Zack was actually that stupid, or if he was just in denial. Half of these guys she met seemed even older than Zack, and it was no surprise that all of them had money.

Amber's twenty-six years old, while Zack is thirty-one. She never went to college and has lived off of other men her entire life, including Zack. When they met she worked at a small coffee shop down the street, which is how she met Zack. He was smitten and told her to quit her job once they became serious. She didn't object, and Zack now payed for every little thing Amber's heart desired.

In a way I couldn't judge her too much. I knew how she worked and I knew her game. I'd be a hypocrite to tell her she was in the wrong. But that wasn't something I was going to tell Zack.

Over the three months I've worked with Zack, they've broken up four times. Either she was caught kissing some guy, came home too drunk, or she threw a fit about having insufficient funds on her credit card. They'd break up and Zack often fell into hysterics. I was always left to pick up the pieces until she showed her face again. She always did. She'd always come back to Zack.

"So what about you? Meet anyone in Huntington lately?" He asked and I knew he was done talking about Amber. We were nearing our sixth package and I felt like I'd fall over any minute.

I shrugged, "I hate meeting new people," I mumbled.

"You're going to die alone if you think that way," He noted and I cringed. I hated being alone. It was one of my biggest fears in life, and I didn't like Zack reminding me of that.

"Thanks, Captain Obvious," I grumbled.

"One of our friends is single again. I should introduce you," He smiled and I groaned.

"Please don't," I protested.

"Why not? You know that one audio tech was really into you last week. You shot him down cold-hearted," He noted.

I remembered. Aaron, the studio technician that was recording with friends of Avenged had stopped by the studio for an hour to visit. Zack, being the asshole he was, introduced me. He had asked for my name, number, and possibly my hand in marriage. I wasn't sure because I was zoning him out the whole time. I don't do relationships, so therefore there was no use in me talking to this guy.

It was far better to be cold than to be vulnerable and welcoming. I knew that from experience.

"Not into him. Is that a crime?" I asked.

"You're hard to get. You, my friend, are an unattainable woman," He noted.

"Huh?" I shook my head and looked at him.

"An unattainable woman," He stated again like I was stupid, "No matter what guys will tell you, you'll probably never give into them. You're pretty intimidating. If I had come across you, I probably wouldn't have hit on you," He explained, "An unattainable woman is a girl who is too hot and too good for almost every single man on this planet. You're a tease without even trying. You're just a walking piece of candy that no one can have."

"Did you just objectify me to a piece of candy?" I asked, "Implying that I should be up for grabs and that its my fault I won't want to go out with every single guy I meet?" I questioned, eyebrow raised. Zack's eyes widened and he knew he was in for it.

Before he could say anything to defend himself another voice cut in, "Yeah, Zack. Is Violet that piece of candy you can't have?" Amber asked from the doorway.

Caught. Red. Handed.

Zack's eyes were wide as he stared up at his fiancee standing in the doorway, her arms crossed over her chest and a scowl on her face. She had several shopping bags on her arms and I noticed she was wearing the new shoes Zack bought her a few days ago. I only know this because Zack had sent me all the way to Costa Mesa to pick them up at nine in the morning on a Sunday, my day off. I still haven't forgiven him completely for that and he still owed me.

Seeing that Zack was completely still with horror, I had to jump in to save him. Which was something I was quite used to now, "That's not what he meant, Amber," I stated and she turned to glare at me.

"You don't need to defend my fiancee, Violet. I think he's a big boy," She snapped and I nodded, taping up the last package and standing up.

"Woah, you don't need to talk to her like that, Amber. Besides, it was just a joke," Zack stated and she huffed, obviously upset with him.

"Yeah, a joke. Well until you're done joking around with her, feel free to sleep on the couch," She spat before turning on her heels and marching towards the stairs.

Ouch. Amber didn't even live with Zack. They broke up so often, he actually payed for a separate apartment for her. Only when they were together was Amber over all the time. When she broke up with him, is was off to her luxurious condo located in a gated community.

"Are you kidding me!? It's my house!" He protested.

I took that as my cue to leave.

I quickly grabbed my keys and jacket before slipping on my shoes. I took the ice cream bowls to the sink and rinsed them before setting them to dry before turning to head out the door. Zack was standing there, leaning against the door as he bit his nails. It was a nervous trait he had. A habit. He bit them constantly when he was nervous about something, almost to the point of his nails disappearing, "Hey," I patted him on the shoulder, "Don't worry about it. She'll cool down in the morning."

He huffed and turned away as I headed towards the hallway and to the front door, "We're meeting at the studio tomorrow. I have some stuff for you to do. Nine o'lock so don't be late," He warned.

"I never am," I smiled, "Night, Zack," I called before stepping out into the cold night.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm only updating again so you all can get a better idea of what this story will be about. I'm not going to be updating as regularly as I did for Catfish.

Thank you for commenting! :)