Sequel: Glass
Status: Complete

Pieces

Twenty-Seven

I swung my bag over my shoulder, smoothing my hair out, before stepping closer to the front desk. I waited impatiently for the woman to put down the phone, "Checking in?" She questioned.

"Something like that," I mumbled.

"Name?" She asked, completely disinterested in her work.

"Kennedy," I stated, "Violet Kennedy."

The woman froze, slowly bringing her eyes to look up at me. I stood there, a cold glare in my eyes as I watched her cease every movement at once.

"Are you going to make me wait all day?" I asked rudely and she shook her head, looking back down at the computer screen. She shuffled to grab my penthouse key from the safe below the desk and stood back up.

"Welcome back, Miss Kennedy," She choked out, handing me the key.

"Always a pleasure," I rolled my eyes and walked off.

I held my head high as the various staff members of Ceasar's Palace glanced at me, completely in awe. Their queen was back, ready to give them hell once again. I'm sure they didn't forget the countless times I've pushed them around to get what I wanted. And now they were wondering why I would ever show my face ever again.

I took the elevator up, not stopping for anyone. All the way to the very top floor. The doors opened and two security guards stood there, "Move aside, boys. I believe someone is expecting me," I stated and they moved quickly, completely in shock that I was back.

I shoved my key into the door and pushed it open, slamming it closed as loud as I could.

"Honey!" I yelled, "I'm home!"

"You always could make an entrance," A voice stated from behind and I turned to see Craig leaning against the bar, a glass of scotch in his hand.

"You always could make my life a living hell," I snapped.

He finished off his drink, setting the glass down as he turned to me, "You really are different, Violet," He stated, "The Violet I knew wouldn't put anyone before herself. And here you are, giving yourself up so your precious rockstar boyfriend can continue to play guitar in a band of misfits."

I glared, "I love him," I stated firmly, "I love that band of misfits. And you had no right to drag him into this. So you're going to call him and tell him that the deal went through. His company and his band are safe. You're never going to contact him again," I stated and I sighed, "Then I'm all yours."

"Anything for you, Doll," He smirked and walked over to me. He placed a hand on my cheek and brought my face up to look at him, "I'm so glad you're finally home."

"That makes one of us," I growled.

His hand tangled in my hair and he pulled it back, yanking my head all the way back as I let out a cry from the pain. He placed his lips on my exposed neck, trailing them up to my jaw and eventually to my earlobe, "It looks like I'll have to tame you all over again, Pet."

"If you're up for the challenge," I snapped.

I wasn't going down without a fight.

-

Dan stared down at the phone, unable to fathom what had just happened. He looked around the room as they all heard the same message.

"Your deal has been fulfilled. Your company and career is safe. I'll be sure to give Violet your regards," Craig stated.

"Who the fuck told her?" Zack growled, looking around the room. The entire family dumbstruck and in awe that within no more than twelve hours, their entire world had changed.

"I did," Dan whispered, "I told her I was going to get her," He confessed, "But instead she ran."

"Ran back to him?" Val asked, her voice weak and Dan nodded. She put her head in her hands, Michelle placing a soothing hand on her back.

"Why would she do that?" Brian questioned.

Dan stood up, eyes glaring at everyone in the room. He looked around and took a step forward, "She did it because she loves him," He pointed to Zack, "She knew it was the only way he would be left out of this." Dan turned to the guitarist who was looking up at him, "She loved you so much that she would rather subject herself to a world full of pain, instead of watching you suffer."

"I didn't ask her to do that," Zack choked out, desperately trying to hold back tears. His plan was to have Dan go get her while he worked on changing all of the account information for VU. Regardless if they would work things out or not, he just wanted her to be safe.

"You didn't have to," Dan snapped, "The last thing she said to me as to make sure I told you that she loved you, and that everything was real."

"Then why would she lie to me!?" Zack yelled.

"To protect you, you fucking idiot!" Jimmy yelled, cutting in between Dan and Zack, "How the fuck do you not see that Violet kept everything from you to protect you from getting hurt! She wanted nothing more than to be happy with you and forget everything that happened. But all of you turned on her when she needed you most!"

The room fell silent. No one had ever seen Jimmy blow up like that. Jimmy was a loving person and only got upset on a handful of occasions. Never, though, had he completely erupted into anger like he just did. It wasn't like him. He breathed heavily, watching the room as everyone casted their eyes downward.

"So now what?" Brian asked, "We run off to Vegas and try to figure out what happened? Either way, we don't know the entire story. So Violet is with Craig now," He shrugged, "No matter how much we want to believe it, we still don't know the truth. Who is Violet?" Brian questioned.

Dan sighed, "You guys honestly believe Violet used Zack?" He questioned, "All those times she had to pick his ass up when he was being a fucking drama queen?" He asked and Zack glared, "Why would she stick around for that? Why wouldn't she just move on to someone better without any problems. She stayed because she cared."

"Despite what you all believe, Violet changed," Jimmy added, "Sure, she may have made some mistakes in the past. Maybe she purposely destroyed Craig and his family, maybe she didn't. Either way, she loved you Zack. You were enough to change her," Jimmy stated.

"So how are we going to find her?" Matt asked softly, even causing his wife's eyes to go wide. No one expected him to give in so easily, "Violet was obviously a different person back then... But we all know the truth now," He stated.

"We can't," Dan ran a hand through his hair, "Her phone was disconnected around ten this morning. No trace of the number whatsoever."

"I called the hotel in New York," Jimmy stated, "She checked out yesterday around noon and took everything. She also forwarded a message to her realtor to tell her to put her apartment on the market again."

"Her plane landed in Vegas about three hours ago," Dan added.

"Where in Vegas would she be?" Brian questioned.

"The Stevensons own a handful of hotels. The Palms, Caesar's Palace, The Venitian, and the MGM Grand. She could be in any one of those penthouses," Jimmy explained.

"But even if we did figure out which hotel she's in, that doesn't mean we'll get to her," Zack added sadly and everyone turned to look at him, "Craig," He sighed and ran a hand through his hair, "He kept her locked up. She wouldn't be roaming the city without him. He made sure Violet was all his."

"Well, now what?" Brian asked.

No one had a clue.

-

"Guess who's back! Violet Kennedy was spotted at Las Vegas International Airport yesterday afternoon. Workers inside Caesar's Palace confirmed that the now 21 year-old is back living in the penthouse suite of the hotel. On-lookers have also claimed they saw Kennedy walking hand in hand with Craig Stevenson early this morning. Could the infamous Vegas Socialite be back for round two? We haven't had any confirmation from the rest of the Stevenson family. Maybe this is the beginning of a rekindling relationship."

I groaned, rolling over on the bed after I shut the television off. My mother was not going to be happy when she saw the news. I sat up, wincing at the pain in the back of my head.

"Miss Kennedy?" A voice called followed by a knock on the door.

"Come in," I called and the door opened. A young girl was revealed, wearing the traditional hostess uniform for the hotel. She bounced awkwardly on her heels, keeping her eyes down.

"Miss Kennedy, I was informed to come check on you," She stated softly and I smiled.

"You can call me Violet when Craig isn't here," I told her and she looked up at me, "What's your name, Sweetie?" I asked. She had to be no older than eighteen years old. She was probably new here, and the rest of the staff probably volunteered her to come up to me seeing as the rest of them were afraid of me.

"Jane," She answered.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, Jane," I smiled and she surprisingly returned the gesture, "Did the rest of them tell you to come up here?" I asked and she nodded. I laughed, "I promise I'm not as scary as I used to be," I assured her.

She nodded, "Violet, may I ask a question?"

"Sure," I got up from the bed and started to dig through my closet for something decent to wear. She shuffled closer to me.

"Why did you come back?" She asked.

I turned to her with a small smile on my face, "Because Craig asked me to," I stated.

She nodded, not buying my answer but didn't question it. She knew better. She motioned to the mess in the closet, "Well, do you need anything? It's nearing lunch-time and I'll be happy to order something for you," She smiled.

"Um, a salad from the bistro downstairs sounds good," I smiled, "And some aspirin would be greatly appreciated."

"No problem," She nodded and turned to leave.

"Oh, and Jane?" I questioned and she faced me again.

"Don't let the others know about this. I have a reputation to keep," I winked and she nodded, putting her head back down and quickly leaving the room.

I turned back to the room, sighing at the closed curtains. I quickly pulled them up and looked out the large windows that overlooked the city. I put a hand up to the window, sighing as I watched the sun shine high above the city.

My mind wandered to Zack. Where was he? Probably throwing another fit. I knew that man like the back of my hand, and I knew he wouldn't let this go easily. My number had been disconnected and changed to a private number under Craig's bill. I rested my forehead against the cool glass, tears pricking my eyes as I desperately trying to reimagine Zack's arms around my waist. I tried to picture him whispering in my ear, telling me everything would be okay, just like he did every night before bed. I imagined his smiling face, his eyes green as ever.

I hoped he would forget me as quickly as I fell in love with him.